BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191382 - 05/02/15 05:25 PM Live from El Paso
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Hey everyone, just thought I would start a live update thread from the Open Championships here in El Paso.

I just got here. An easy four hour drive from my house in Tucson. I haven't made it to the convention center, but I'm headed there soon.

I just read that we have a new singles leader...Ronnie Sparks Jr with a 793.

Tonight I'm going to be watching Matt McNiel and the Linds Lakers bowling live. For the bowling geek in me, that alone is worth the trip.

I'm going to be bowling the Bowler's Journal tomorrow, and tweaking my equipment as necessary afterwards. Then I bowl the last team squad of the day, and D/S on Monday. Headed home on Tuesday, but not without a stop at the War Eagles airplane museum first.

The weather is good, the city is nice and clean, and I'm ready to bowl!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#191386 - 05/03/15 02:44 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Good luck and good skill today and tomorrow. I think bowling in a low scoring center and having prior experience in the Open is going to help you out. Looking forward to finding out how it went.

#191388 - 05/03/15 07:24 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Last night, watching McNiel shoot 727 leading his team to 3rd place, I knew he had a look to take All-Events. After bowling the Bowlers Journal today, I watched McNiel and Vashaw shoot 1403 for 2nd in doubles. Then McNiel added 765 for 6th in singles and to rack up 2226 for the All-Events lead. I watched every shot of his nine games, which I'm almost certain will net him a historic third All-Events Eagle.

The Bowlers Journal went decently. I shot 565. I thought the fresh pattern wasn't all that hard, with about four boards to hit the pocket. But we switched pairs every game, and I lost my look after that. In the future, I will probably just book a session on the showcase lanes where my team mates and I can attempt to carve a shot.

I'm feeling good and confident heading into the team event tonight.

#191398 - 05/04/15 07:44 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well despite watching a nine game clinic from Matt McNiel, and feeling like I had a great arsenal with me, Team event didn't go well at all.

I couldn't get any of my equipment to slow down in the midlane and roll smoothly. That was my key to trying to control the lane condition, and I just couldn't make it work. Then I was stubborn, trying to make the outside work when I had no real shot. I finally moved in in game three, and then took a few frames before I got matched up.

I shot 151, 152, 191 for a 494 series; my lowest to date at the Open Championships. My spare game wasn't horrendous, but I did chop a couple makeables, and I had no doubles in the set to make up for the holes.

Tonight is doubles and singles, and I'm going to need a much better performance on the slightly easier pattern to rally from last night's disappointment.

Regardless of how I finish, its clear that I need some Pro Shop help. I tried asking a few questions of the guys at the booths and found most of them to be arrogant, antagonistic, and willing to listen or help. Eric at the Storm both, and Frankie May at the Motiv booth however were clear exceptions. Great help and service.

#191399 - 05/05/15 10:03 AM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Good luck in doubles and singles, Champ!

It's been a few years since I bowled the Open Championships, but after practicing for 4 weeks on the same surface and patterns and doing well, I decided to give it another go. While out there, I bowled the Bowlers Journal event first, on the doubles/single pattern. The 2 balls I brought which worked so well at home were hooking out of my hand. By the last game, I was up against the ball return with nowhere left to move. I tried again during practice with the same balls in the team and d/s event, and wound up choosing to roll plastic polished with a slip agent for all 9 games. It was hooking at least 16 boards. I finished all events just above 1600. It was very disappointing.

I say all this to highlight what an amazing performance by Matt Mcniel. What he has accomplished is hard to believe occurred on the same lanes. Those would be good scores even on a house shot. I'd love to know his secret.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#191401 - 05/05/15 12:08 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, I didn't have much more luck.

The fresh Doubles and Singles pattern starts, in my opinion, easier than the team event. But that didn't make it easy. In doubles, I shot 153, 197 (clean), and 163 for a 513. I had a 7-10 in the 9th of the last game, so I thought I was on an upward trend, and I may at least have a decent series.

But then I started singles with three opens and never was able to regain focus after that point. I shot 138, 163, 162 for a miserable 463 and 1470 All-Events.

I wasn't expecting to shoot huge. My goal, for knowing how tough the patterns were was 1620 (a 180 average.) I came up way short. It was a combination of a lot of factors. I hadn't gotten a good night sleep in a few days, we were bowling the late squad both days, the lanes were tougher than I expected, I only threw two doubles in the tournament, and I had no good luck. I didn't trip a single 4 pin, or carry a single brooklyn shot, or crumble any of the splits I left.

Bad bowling. But NOT a bad time or bad experience.

El Paso was nice. The Convention Center and the built bowling facility was gorgeous. The staff (with the exception of the booth guys) was helpful, courteous, and energetic. The food was great. The weather was great. Altogether it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to Reno 2016.

And Joe, you're absolutely right; its hard to fathom how Matt shot what he did on those lanes. If the tournament staff wanted to give me an additional three games to catch McNiel I'd need to shoot 756.

#191402 - 05/05/15 01:24 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Originally Posted By: champ
Regardless of how I finish, its clear that I need some pro shop help. I tried asking a few questions of the guys at the booths and found most of them to be arrogant, antagonistic, and willing to listen or help. Eric at the Storm both, and Frankie May at the Motiv booth however were clear exceptions. Great help and service.

I know how you feel. I hate it when I reach out to someone in the bowling community for advice or even just to wish them good luck and they don't even acknowledge you.

#191403 - 05/05/15 02:53 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
vdubtx Offline

A/S/L: 44/M/TX
I have always gotten that vibe from the guys in the booths at Nationals. They have such ego's. I know one of them in the Hammer booth so he is actually cool. But the rest of the manufacturers won't give the time of day unless you are buying a ball from them right then.

Equipment:
Roto Grip -
Haywire
Hyper Cell
Disturbed
Uproar
Roto Red Spare

Hammer -
First Blood

Storm -
Ride

Brunswick -
Nirvana

#191407 - 05/06/15 04:38 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#191415 - 05/07/15 05:04 PM Re: Live from El Paso [Re: champ]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Here's a link to the full schedule, if you wanna watch live.
Sometimes they spring an unannounced one...

http://www.bowl.com/livestream/

Edited by 6_ball_man (05/07/15 05:05 PM)
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by SteveH - 0 seconds ago
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - Today at 10:34 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by SteveH - Today at 10:30 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - Today at 09:20 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 06/17/19 10:58 PM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - 05/26/19 11:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.