BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191090 - 03/30/15 02:07 PM Storm Rocket Video Ball Review
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
https://youtu.be/pXeilot8pxA

Lane Conditions: Medium Oil
Typical Conditions: Variety of Shots
Type of Lane: All Synthetic
What part of the lane did you play? Second Arrow
Did the ball track out? Normal
Weight of bowling ball: 15
Surface of bowling ball: Factory/Box
What grit was the surface of the ball? 1500
Likes: - Easily pushes through the fronts. - Stores energy well. - Colors make it easy to read transition
Dislikes:

The Storm Rocket features the all new Booster Core, wrapped with the most successful cover on the PBA Tour, the R2S (Pearl). I decided to drill my Rocket to accentuate the length the cover and core already provided and gave it an identical layout to my Punch Out which I have had success with over the last year (70x5x30). This layout gave me exactly what I was looking for, length and a quick transition once the ball hit friction down lane.

I can definitely see myself throwing this ball on a variety of patterns and keeping myself in play. At this point I have used it on Shark, Scorpion, Viper, and a Typical House Pattern and found a good look on each rather quickly. With a surface change (used both 2000 and 3000 to date) I was able to get the ball to blend the pattern but still retain energy enough to clear corners without much of an issue. I think higher speed players are going to find more success by knocking the polish off the surface of the Rocket, while matched and slightly rev dominant players are probably going to see the most success with the box surface.

Overall, I think the Rocket has definitely lived up to the high expectations from being the newest release in the Thunder Line, and handled it quite well. From my experience with this ball I personally feel this is the best ball I have had in my bag in a long time, and I plan to keep it there for as long as possible. I can see players building an arsenal around the Rocket (or two!).

Michael Bauer
Storm Amateur Staff Member
Logo Infusion Staff Member
BowlersMart Pro Shop Manager
PBA Member
Bowlers Journal Top 100 Coach - 2014
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#191095 - 03/30/15 07:54 PM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 72/m/IL
It's been a while since I've seen you reviewing a ball. I was impressed at the Lights Out review, but I don't recall seeing a review of the Punch Out that you mention here. One thing that you said that stands out for me is that the Rocket is a Hybrid coverstock like is the Hy-Road (original). Was watching a fellow in our league using the Rocket recently and it appeared that his ball was burned up early. Very likely a Hy-Road would work for him better. Who knows?
I'd be interested in hearing about your thoughts about the Punch Out vs Lights Out. Also, my Optimus seems to soak up quite a bit of oil, whereas the Lights Out and Byte do not... Thanks...

#191096 - 03/31/15 02:34 AM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

djp,

The Rocket, because it has filler between the weight block and cover stock, will naturally be longer and stronger off the break point than the Hy-Road even though they have the same cover stock.

You are correct that I did not review the Punch Out or the wipes Out, not because I didn't want to but rather because I was having computer issues at the time those bowling balls came out.

I have been posting reviews on everything that has come out at all lately (in the Storm and Roto-Grip lines).

My latest reviews include the Crux, Sinister, Hyper Cell Skid, etc.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#191101 - 03/31/15 04:40 PM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

I hope I'm reading the spec's right. It looks as though the differential numbers are nearly the same on both the Rocket and Hy-Road; however, the Hy-Road's RG is a little higher at 2.57 vs 2.54 at 15 lbs. Seems that the Rocket may pick up a bit earlier than the Hy-Road.
My 16 lb. Hy-Road has held up reactionwise even though it had soaked up quite a bit of oil over the last three years. Cleaned it up and it's back to new condition.
Even with the same Hybrid cover do you know if both balls have similar thickness?
Thanks...

#191105 - 03/31/15 06:18 PM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: djp1080]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: djp1080
I hope I'm reading the spec's right. It looks as though the differential numbers are nearly the same on both the Rocket and Hy-Road; however, the Hy-Road's RG is a little higher at 2.57 vs 2.54 at 15 lbs. Seems that the Rocket may pick up a bit earlier than the Hy-Road.
My 16 lb. Hy-Road has held up reactionwise even though it had soaked up quite a bit of oil over the last three years. Cleaned it up and it's back to new condition.
Even with the same Hybrid cover do you know if both balls have similar thickness?
Thanks...

You are reading them right and that was my initial thought as well, but sk8 is not the only one to compare the Hyroad to the Rocket this way.

I notice that Storm rates the flare potential of the Rocket at 4-5" where the Hyroad is rated at 5-6"... This with identical diff numbers. IF correct, this could explain the length. Will go out on a limb and guess that effective drilled diff ratio is somewhat higher for the Rocket for this same reason... This could explain the increased angularity. I don't know, maybe they just added a greater percentage of Pearl additive to the Rocket cover.

#191131 - 04/03/15 10:55 PM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

The Rocket has a core like the other lines (the white filler material) while the rest of the equipment in the Thunder Line has traditionally had no (or very little) filler core.

This creates a stronger shape off the back of the pattern because of the difference in shell thickness. Because the CG is influenced more by the weight block and less by the coverstock the ball is, in effect, more imbalanced and wants to right itself.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#191132 - 04/03/15 11:35 PM Re: Storm Rocket Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

Thanks for that Skate. I've thought that the Hy-Road's cover was pretty thick as it seems to keep it's reaction for a long time. I'm supposing by your comment that the Reign On's cover is pretty thick as well.
Got lucky this week and was able to get a pretty good deal on an IQ Tour Nano. I'm hoping that it doesn't need as much maintenance as the Vivid to keep it working well for a fairly long time. I guess I'll have to see for myself.
Thanks again...

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.