BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190758 - 03/05/15 04:34 PM Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 58/M/Illinois
OK, here's one that I imagine is a hot topic for the bowling community nowadays.

This may have been something that was discussed 6 or 7 years ago, when the 2 handers first hit the scene. If so, forgive me, as that was right around the time I had two surgeries and had to quit bowling for a while. Now, I'm attempting to get re-involved with bowling and running into physical obstacles again, but I'm going to overcome them and bowl again, and teach my nephew and niece to bowl.

Anyway, because of Belmonte's success with two handed bowling, can you imagine how many two handed bowlers we will have in the next 10 to 20 years? I mean, like Marshall said on TV Sunday, it is just natural that young people, growing up and seeing his success, would want to emulate that success.

So, was just wondering what you guys think about the two handers.

I remember back when I first got back to bowling, I somehow hurt two knuckles on my bowling hand. I really don't remember how - perhaps an improperly drilled ball, I don't remember.

And, we were just weeks away from starting in the church league that I had gotten some guys from my church in, and I wanted to bowl in that league so badly! About like I want to bowl right now, and am trying to get well, so I can.

Finally, I found a device with Velcro straps on it, and it would support your fingers when you bowled, and I used that and I finally healed up.

I said all that to say this - that was when I first saw Palermaa, and I was thinking of giving two hands a try. I never did it, because I found that brace, and fortunately it helped my fingers heal up.

But, I'm sure it has crossed the mind of many a bowler. Not to mention, just think how grueling bowling all those games that the pro bowlers bowl each week must be, and what a toll it must take on their throwing hand, wrist, shoulder, and perhaps their elbow.

I would think two handed bowling would be less stressful on your dominant arm, than one handed bowling.

I have to be honest, I enjoy watching Belmonte bowl. To me it is just amazing. I'm perhaps amazed more by his spare shooting than his strike shooting. I just don't know how he is so accurate the way he throws two handed at spares.

And, I kind of like Belmonte's personality. He seems like a pretty nice guy to me. I could be wrong.

Here's my last question, and I'll draw it to a close.

I know that a lot of the one handed PBA players don't like it. They say it chews up the oil pattern and makes it harder to bowl, for one thing.

Do you think there will come a day when the regular PBA players will kind of revolt, and try to get the rule book changed, so that two hands can't be used at their events?

Or do you think that would have already happened?

Thanks for reading my posts, and for your answers. I'm really interested in this topic, and how other bowlers feel about it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#190760 - 03/05/15 05:32 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
I have no issue with two-handed bowling. I've tried it and it's very difficult to do and be consistent. The bowlers that are successful with this style are the ones who put in the time and effort. Most of the criticism against the two-handed style is just sour grapes IMO. No different than bowlers who hate on lefties or people who use wrist devices.

Don't see PBA or USBC banning the style at all. It would really be a stupid move on their part if they did. The ratings are up and Belmonte being on TV has something to do with that. Also it's introducing a new generation of bowlers to the game as a lot of youth bowlers are now bowling with the two-handed style. Makes no sense to take that away.

#190762 - 03/05/15 07:27 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
There's Belmonte. Then There's Osku. Then there are maybe 6-7 others who are pretty good.

Then there's everyone else. And most of them are really bad at two handed bowling. Its an incredibly athletic and dynamic delivery...something that most people haven't been able to harness.

In order to be able to harness it to any success, a bowler will have to do a tremendous amount of practice. And if you're willing to work that hard at it, regardless of how you do it, you deserve the benefits of your hard work.

Two handed bowling doesn't take an average bowler and suddenly make them lethal. There may be a big population of bowlers who make think it does, but they couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, most aspiring two handed bowlers I see have less speed and revs than they did with their traditional release.

At the end of the day, a two-hander is most often just a no-thumber who has found a new way of supporting the ball in the swing.

#190763 - 03/05/15 08:19 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: champ]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

I don't know why, but I'm glad to hear that you guys don't see anything wrong with it.

Boy, the one handed PBA'ers don't like it though. I heard one of them say tonight (it was either Barnes, Jones, or Couch) that Belmonte's game burns up the lane in one game. It may have been Couch or Jones, because Barnes was the only one of their color analysts (besides Pedersen) who I thought analyzed things without prejudice to Belmonte's two handed style. Tommy Jones and Jason Couch were obviously against Belmonte winning.

Belmonte is having incredible success with the two handed delivery, though. But, like you guys said, really it is only Belmonte who's being really, really successful with the two handed delivery. Palermaa somewhat, and I don't even know of another person, PBA or otherwise, who is using the technique.

Like I said, I just watched the grudge match (on youtube), which Belmonte won, but only by 743-725 I think. And, Jason also took 2 out of 3 games from Rash. (Just think what those guys could average with a THS oil pattern).

They showed a video of one of the things that kind of started the feud, and set Rash off, and that was a water bottle that Jason was holding, made that crinkling sound (you know how Belmonte is constantly drinking from that water bottle), while Rash was on the approach during one of those team games. Most people guessed that Jason did it on purpose, but I highly doubt it.

Anybody who has drunk out of those water bottles know how they are made of a pretty shoddy plastic (it's supposed to be good for the environment, I think), and after you squeeze them, while taking a drink, they're constantly making a crinkling noise while trying to pop back to their original shape. I'm guessing that is what happened. But Jason's bottle made that sound while Rash was on the approach, and he had to start all over again.

He then went ahead and struck, I think, and then on the way back to his seat he blew up at Belmonte. I thought that was uncalled for, and that is all I'll say about Rash's behavior.

But, having said that, I noticed that Jason had his water in a different type of bottle during this grudge match that I watched tonight - this kind of bottle wouldn't make that type of noise.

If I were Jason, and he was smart, I think I'd do that every time (have a water bottle that's silent). Because, those plastic water bottles can make noise any time. It is just their nature and you can't control it.

But these guys might as well get used to Belmonte, because, unless something dramatically happens to his skill level, he's going to be around, and winning for a long time.

I just looked a little while ago, and he already had 12 tournament wins, including 5 Majors, - and I don't know for sure if that info was up to date.

So, he's going to be around for a while, and I'm guessing he's going to be pretty successful.

Thanks to you all for your input. As usual, you guys make lots of sense.

#190764 - 03/05/15 10:04 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

You know, I'm watching the 2014 Masters where Belmonte was a #5 seed, and I noticed he was using the different water bottle - the one like he used in the challenge with Rash.

So, perhaps he has already made the switch to the new type of "quieter" water bottles, and I've just been watching so much bowling, that I didn't notice.

But, it seems to be that he used the clear, noisy, crinkly ones in 2015 when I've watched them on TV lately. But, maybe not. I hope he's made the change.

#190765 - 03/05/15 10:54 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I may just give up this sport and go back to some quiet fishing, all alone.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190782 - 03/06/15 12:27 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
It's interesting. I remember "Maximum Bob" having an issue with so many revs but not being able to get the ball down the lane. Belmonte has been able to avoid that by lofting the ball from the next lane to the left.

I'm fine with two-handed bowling. I'm fine with ripping the cover off the ball. I'm fine with digging a ditch that crosses the lane twice (lol).

But if you made the rule that you had to stay on your own lane, +/- 5 boards. . . you'd see him change his axis of rotation, etc. to fit.

THAT, I think, would be a beneficial thing. I wonder how he bowls on lane number 1 on tight bowling centers? He's intelligent enough (more than enough, I think) - but it would be entertaining to see.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#190787 - 03/06/15 03:45 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
SteveH Offline

Belmo's certainly not alone with the lofting from the left side, and one-handers do it as well.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190788 - 03/06/15 04:14 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: SteveH]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Belmo's certainly not alone with the lofting from the left side, and one-handers do it as well.

They sure do: http://youtu.be/GTdb6vAcbRw

#190789 - 03/06/15 05:28 PM Re: Belmonte and the 2 Handed Style [Re: iwanttoimprove]
SteveH Offline

OUT OF BOUNDS!!! LOL

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.