BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190673 - 03/02/15 01:23 AM Views on sandbagging?
Odie8654 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 55/F/California
I always hear about it. Have actually witnessed it with a couple of bowlers as well. But what are your views, and why? I've heard it even stated that it is used as a strategy by some teams! Isn't cheating cheating, no matter what name you put on it?

Here's mine:

I think it's cheating truthfully. I feel any sport is about doing the best you can in that sport. Not doing good intentionally to lower you averages so that when the time is right you amazingly can bowl those big games again and now with that HUGE handicap win! The handicap is to even things out between the really good Bowlers, us average bowlers, and the not so good (yet) bowlers! It allows for ALL levels to bowl at a somewhat even kilter, not to allow you to cheat just so you can claim you won with your amazing bowling! If you were that amazing you shouldn't have had to stack the deck in your favor....right? Seriously, People that intentionally do bad, wow, it's a game people, do you teach your children to cheat too? How about those taxes, or the waitresses tips, you cheat them too? People get away with it all to frequently and I wish they could suspend the people a few games, or penalize them in some way for it. I know a gal that is notorious for it, the alley knows she does it too, but because when she wins tourni's here and there by throwing out these magically amazing games it also brings attention to the bowling alley she's part ofnothing is done about it!!! I'm sorry, where do we draw the line? How do you look at yourself in the mirror?

Ok, ok, obviously I dislike it, but it's my opinion! I try my hardest doing well and my hardest even when I suck!!! Ugh!!! I respect myself and the sport too much to abuse the privilege of earning my average, good or bad!! And I feel good about earning that average, it takes me hard honest work!!

So what's your views? There aren't any real rules against it are there? It's technically supposed to be hard to prove......yea ok.........lol. Don't tear my head off, please I'm really curious is all about what others think of sandbagging and why you feel that way. I look forward to hearing the whys and why nots Gang!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#190678 - 03/02/15 06:27 AM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Yes it's a real thing. Not so much for league competition, but some use it to lower their averages for tournaments, giving them an advantage. Some will join THS leagues just to lower their averages, and could care less about leagues or teams. There are some that play as good as they have to without having huge scores. I've seen people dump a spare here or there because they had already won.

Mostly it's tournaments that the sandbagging hurts. Someone came up with a method to get rid of sandbagging by using a bowler's tournament average, not their league average. Think of the 190 league bowler that consistently averages 215 in tournaments. Using the tournament average, he can't hide.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190683 - 03/02/15 11:32 AM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
My honest opinion:

Handicap tournaments aren't worth entering. You're going to get your money taken by a cheater. If you want to compete in a fair environment, enter scratch tournaments. Until you're a 225 bowler, you will lose a lot of money, but that's the best way to learn.

Handicap leagues are for practicing, and having a fun night out. Winning or losing doesn't matter whatsoever. In most leagues, the payout difference between 1st and 20th is not that much. I don't worry about it. My goal in any league is to get the high game/series/average award.

So for me, I could care less about sandbagging. I doesn't effect me in the slightest. I'm not even remotely interested in who beat me with handicap, and if they did so by cheating. Handicap just doesn't matter to me.

I want the highest game possible every game, and that's all I'm really interested in. Of course I want my team mates to bowl well, but that's because they're my friends and I want to see them succeed, not because I want to win points on the night in a handicap league.

#190688 - 03/02/15 01:34 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
SteveH Offline

Definitely correct about the league payouts Champ, at least in the leagues I bowl in. Your attitude reflects your own goals, and some don't share that level of competitive ethics.

I enter a couple of handicapped tournaments only for the experience, and the fun of it. I rarely make it past the second or third round. At some point I hope that changes. Hardly any scratch tourneys around here.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190689 - 03/02/15 01:43 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: champ]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 33/M/NH
Originally Posted By: champ
My honest opinion:

Handicap tournaments aren't worth entering. You're going to get your money taken by a cheater. If you want to compete in a fair environment, enter scratch tournaments. Until you're a 225 bowler, you will lose a lot of money, but that's the best way to learn.

I disagree. Handicap tournaments are a great way to get started as opposed to getting your clock cleaned in a scratch event. It gives the opportunity to adjust to moving pairs and also bowling in different houses. I think the cheater aspect is overblown. Maybe there are a couple but league and tournament bowling are two different animals, and someone coming in with a lot of handicap doesn't necessarily mean that they will perform well in the tournament.

Another thing handicap tournaments can do is give experience in match play. Getting through qualifying is much more attainable in handicap events than in scratch. Also, a newer bowler who is entering their current average that's going to put the time in to practice is only going to have their average go up. But it might take cashing, reaching the finals or bowling 21 games before they get re-rated (depending on what the rules of the tournament are). I started bowling handicap tournaments when I was a 180 bowler and after struggling at first and then sneaking into match play a few times, I was finally able to pull through and win.

Maybe it's different in other parts of the country but the handicap tournaments around here do attract a lot of the top local bowlers and even some pros. In fact last weekend I got to bowl in a tournament with former PBA titlist John Gant.

#190690 - 03/02/15 02:11 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: wronghander]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 30/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: wronghander
I disagree. Handicap tournaments are a great way to get started ...It gives the opportunity to adjust to moving pairs and also bowling in different houses...Another thing handicap tournaments can do is give experience in match play.

Touche. These are all very good points, and all good reasons for entering handicap tournaments.

I'll re-phrase my stance.

Handicap tournaments are a great learning experience, but they're not a place to seek money fairly. You should consider the entry fee the cost of your learning experience, and any money you do win back should be considered gravy.

#190691 - 03/02/15 02:42 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
SteveH Offline

Better put. Ours are fairly cheap affairs, so it's more of a social thing for some, a friendly competition for others. Competing at the scratch level is a good experience, but unless you're at least a steady 200+ bowler, expect nothing but the experience.

I don't even get an invite to our local March Madness handicap tourney, so I have to settle for the open version.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190693 - 03/02/15 04:37 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
I'm with you. I strive to do the best I can every time I bowl. I'm not in favor of lowering average to gain more handicap. I currently bowl with 3 guys who work to keep their average low.

One suggested last week that I tank the last two weeks so I could go into sweepstakes with a few more pins. I told him there were 2 prizes I wanted to try to get (scratch high game and high series). No one has thrown a 300 game and the high series is just over 800. If I get some luck and some carry I might get one of these awards. No way I'm laying down.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#190701 - 03/02/15 08:09 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
SteveH Offline

I just keep trying to get better, and ignore the peripheral stuff. My VL average is now 190, and it includes a variety of scores for sure. I know I should be a solid 200 plus bowler, but I do stupid things. A 570 series is hard for me due to the various inconsistencies in my game. I thought I'd be a 190 bowler a couple of years ago, so more practice is needed.

I'm one of those bowlers that is erratic as heck in a tournament. 230/160/210/whatever. I'd love to just bowl my best and throw 230's, but so does everyone else.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#190705 - 03/02/15 09:26 PM Re: Views on sandbagging? [Re: Odie8654]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
You can tell who the sandbaggers are pretty easily. The guys who bowl 170 - 190 during league and then shoot the lights out afterwards during pot games. Then during pot games, they know the routine. Score just enough to lose a few dollars and then up the pot buy in. Just as bad as pool sharks.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by djp1080 - 5 minutes 12 seconds ago
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/16/18 12:26 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - 05/03/18 03:10 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.