BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190652 - 03/01/15 04:31 PM Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 58/M/Illinois
I've been watching a lot of bowling videos lately, as I'm getting the itch to rejoin a league. I watched a video of Chris Barnes over in Poland in 2014, and he bowled a 300 while winning the world championship over there.

But, what amazed me in the 300 game was that the ball he was using gave him at least 4 strikes that I doubt he'd otherwise have had. They didn't say what ball he was using, but I did some detective work, and I'm about 90% sure he was using the Columbia Eruption Pro Hybrid. I'm telling you, that ball hit like a Mac (Mack) truck! I'm looking for a polished ball of this type to use in medium oiled houses and to fill that niche in my arsenal. To give you a description of my bowling style, is that I'm small, like Norm Duke, and my favorite way to play the lanes is the same as Norm's; that is, to throw from the right corner of the lane, over the first or second arrow, or target one of the boards between those two arrows.

I haven't joined a league yet, but I've been assured that there will be a summer league available at a bowling center 30 miles from me (mostly highway). In the meantime, I'm going to bowl in some other little tournaments, and perhaps some 9 pin no tap tournaments.

Sooooo, I really am looking strongly at getting this ball, and I was just wondering what you guys and gals think of this ball, or if you'd recommend a different ball that would fill this niche in my bag. Thanks a lot for your info before hand.

Five or so years ago, before I quit bowling in a league, because of medical problems, I was part of this community back then, and thought it was very informative. I'm glad that I've decided to start bowling again, as I have always enjoyed bowling so much. And, I am thankful for this forum.

On a side note, I don't know about how it is in your area, but evidentially bowling is dying in my area. Do you know that there used to be 5 bowling centers within 10 miles of my home as I was growing up? Now there are just two! And, they are owned by the same management. But, I think that is a good thing, as I think current management will turn the center they bought into a very nice bowling center again. Previous management had let it run down. And, those two centers are like ghost towns in the summer!

Thank you all!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#190655 - 03/01/15 05:08 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Bowling interest, at least in the US has been on the decline for some time now. When they cancelled Saturday afternoon bowling on TV, that really put the exclamation point on the situation.

I like you am bowling with a medical ailment. In my case, it is an arthritic wrist. Even with low revs, I have found it difficult to play down and in with strong balls.

You didn't indicate your ball speed so you might not have to contend with low ball speeds as I do. If you need to, you can take the Eruption Pro Hybrid to 3000 or 4000 with a polish and it will get you longer down the lane. A ball like the Eruption Pro Hybrid will read the lane early (RG 2.51, Diff .031), you may want to talk to your driller about getting a weaker pattern drilled so as to get better length.

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#190657 - 03/01/15 05:46 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
Dave800 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Burbs of Milwaukee
if it was bright orange and s solid orange color, it was the ERUPTION PRO
http://www.columbia300.com/products/balls/mid-level-performance/eruption-pro

if it was a bit darker orange with some feint darker swirls in it, it was the EP HYBRID
http://www.columbia300.com/products/balls/mid-level-performance/eruption-pro-hybrid

i have had them both, got rid of the orange eruption pro as it didn't fit my game, it slowed down a bit to fast for me, but i know people who love theirs

the EP Hybrid is a great even rolling piece
neither of these 2 balls are for heavy oil conditions, they excel on the medium to lighter volumes
And yes, the carry is phenomenal.....
they are reasonably priced as well
http://www.bowlersmart.com/bowling-gear/...00-eruption-pro

http://www.bowlersmart.com/bowling-gear/...id-bowling-ball

good luck!
Hammer rebel
Severe Delirium
Gamebreaker2
Gamebreaker2 Phenom Pearl
Track Kinetic
Hammer Phobia
Columbia sideswipe solid
Track Legion solid

#190667 - 03/01/15 10:07 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: Dave800]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

The only high performance ball I've ever had is a Roto Grip Cell. I also owned a BVP, but it wasn't the Mammoth. I think that is a Brunswick ball? I didn't like it at all. It was a particle ball.

But, man, I could not believe the Cell. The first time I bowled with it was after I got it drilled (of course), and I took it to the Bowling Center that I usually bowled league at, and I think my first game was a 214, and my second was in the 220s. This is a guy who averaged 159 with the BVP! I even bowled my highest game ever, a 252, when practicing. I bowled a 245 in league, my first 600 series a few 600+ series, and had I not choked, I would have bowled my first 700 series with the Cell, but I choked on the first ball in the 10th frame and only got 3 pins, and then left the 10th open by getting 6 of the remaining 7 pins for a 687 series. I led the league for a while, and I think had I broken 700, I would have gotten an award for high series for the first half. This is a church league, not an open league. I had 22 strikes, and I think that was the only open frame I had. A guy from the other team said, I don't think you've missed the pocket all night (that was prior to my choking with the 3 pin shot).

The bowling center I normally bowled in league at is kind of strange. It has a plastic film covering their wooden alleys. So, once they've been freshly oiled, they're kind of slick, especially for a guy like me. To give you some idea, I put away my plastic ball (I had gotten it mainly to pick up the 10 pin), and started using the BVP (because it was closer to my Cell's weight). And, I could throw almost straight at the 10 pin, with a very tiny curve at the end. I also had the BVP drilled at a certified Pro Shop, and it fit real well, so I preferred to use it to my plastic ball. But, nothing could beat that Cell!

I don't throw very hard. In fact, my speed went up 4 mph when using the 14 lb Cell (I'd like to use a 15 lb ball, but I just don't think I can). The BVP particle ball was only a 13, and it just wouldn't hook much on those plastic alleys, and I was only throwing it 10+ to 11 mph. I wish I could understand RG, Diff and all that stuff, and how the layout is going to effect me and so on. But, though I've learned a lot, a lot of that stuff is still over my head.

You know, it's funny, the heavier ball I threw faster than the lighter ball! A guy from another team even came up to me one night at league and told me, "I think you're throwing the ball harder than you did last year". And, I said, yes, I noticed that too. I attributed it to 1) my arm being in better shape after 1 1/2 years of bowling league every week, I never missed a week, plus I practiced from time to time. And, 2) the pendulum action of my arm raising a heavier ball then going forward to release it gave it more energy. I'm trying to remember, but I think I may have been throwing harder from the very start of using the Cell 14 lb ball.

The alleys I'll be bowling at this summer will be wood, and good quality alleys, so I'm wondering if a polished ball will hook enough for me there. I really don't have a strong hook, that is another reason a real high hook rating ball works for me. On bowlingball.com, their perfect score, or whatever they call it, my Cell was close to 230 I think, when I bought the Cell. The Eruption Pro Hybrid is like 193. That scares me a little bit. But, I want something that is going to hook on those wooden alleys this summer, but not over hook - I'm afraid that might be the case with the Cell, or if I get the latest version of the Cell, or the Crux, or some really high performance balls. I think those wooden alleys will hook more than those plastic covered alleys.
It seems like Columbia's prices are a little lower, which I like, in case I decide to get another real high performance ball like the Cell was. But I kind of hate to leave Roto-Grip.

By the way, the Pro ball that Chris was using seemed to be red to me. I can't remember now what red I referred it to last night. Fire engine red maybe? It wasn't as orange as the non-Hybrid Pro. I looked at some Hybrids on video too, and that was part of what made me think it was an Eruption Pro Hybrid. It was a very pretty red. I just wish you could try them out first on freshly oiled alleys like you'll face on league nights. Wouldn't you know that the St. Charles, MO bowling center had a Saturday or Sunday, 2/15/15 where you could go try out the balls, and I didn't see the flyer until about Feb 20th!! Just my luck! I would have gone over there. It's no farther than it is to where I plan to bowl league this summer.

Here's the youtube link to Barnes and his 300 game (I was looking for the video that just showed the 300 game but couldn't find it, so it is the 2nd game he bowls, I'm pretty sure):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpG1kM1itMY

I've wrote way too long already, but I love to talk bowling.

Let me just say this - if you were a guy who had low revs and threw a 14 lb ball 14 to 15 mph, and had trouble hooking the ball, what kind of ball would you go with - a real high performance ball, or the next step down (which is where I consider the Eruption Pro Hybrid to be); and would you stick with a sanded ball, or do you think a very highly hook rated polished or pearlized ball would work?

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to try my Cell on those wooden lanes first - preferably not too long after they've been oiled, and see what kind of reaction I get before buying anything!
Thanks again!

#190674 - 03/02/15 02:39 AM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
goobee Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/M/Sunny California
Peculiar, the Cell is designed for heavy oil and has high flare potential. Even with low revs, that ball should hook. I wonder if you are "suitcasing" the ball, as that would effectively kill the ball. Or maybe you are rolling the ball end over end.

What does your release look like?

14lbs Ebonite Gamebreaker 2
15lbs Motiv Venom Shock
14lbs C300 Antics (Weak)
15lbs C300 Antics (Agg)

Secondary

15lbs Brunswick BTU Pearl
15lbs Motiv Venom Panic
15lbs Motiv Rebel Tank

Spare

15lbs Faball Nail

#190680 - 03/02/15 09:17 AM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: goobee]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

My release isn't very good. I have difficulty cupping a 13 or 14 pound ball behind me, and then uncapping on release. That is the way Pedersen and Duke said to release it. So, I don't get many revs on a typical roll down the alley. And, I'm talking mainly about the center where I normally will be bowling league. That is the center where the lanes are covered with plastic, making them essentially hybrid synthetic lanes. I essentially have a tendency to be on top or kind of top and the right side of the ball.

I don't know, you may have misunderstood me or vice versa. Usually, even after freshly oiled for leagues, the cell hooks pretty well. My concern is that the cell will over hook on the wooden lanes that I'll be bowling on this spring and summer. I was hoping a ball like Eruption Pro Hybrid would hook just about right on the nice wooden lanes at st. Clair bowl and/ or Bel-Air Bowl in Belleville, IL. By the way, I'd say the color of the ball CB was using in Poland was Cherry red. It was more cherry red than any shade of orange. I wish I could try something similar to it. If I could find that ball in the racks, or something similar, I might be able to get some idea of how much that type of ball will hook. I may not be able to find anything, so will just have to test using a Roto Grip Cell.

#190685 - 03/02/15 11:44 AM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Wood lanes do create more friction, which creates earlier and smoother hook than synthetic lanes. Some bowling centers just put out a regular volume shot on their wood, and it will hook quite a bit. Other bowling centers with increase the volume of oil, or lengthen the pattern, to get the lanes to play like other centers near by.

Your best bet is to go talk to the Pro Shop in that center, and get an idea of how the lanes will play. Find out when they oil their lanes, and go practice then with your Cell. Get an ideal if you'll need more or less hook, or if you're happy.

From there, the Pro Shop can very easily change the surface on the Cell to get it to do exactly what you want. Of course, buying a new ball is a lot of fun, and having the balls as a combo is probably a good idea, but its not necessary.

Modern bowling balls are like muscle cars. The best part about them is you can constantly tweak them, tune them up, to get them to best suit your needs.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#190692 - 03/02/15 03:18 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: champ]
iwanttoimprove Offline
Junior Master

That's a good idea. When I go to St. Clair bowl, where I'm planning on doing some bowling this summer (and getting a new ball, if I feel I need one), they have one of the best pro shops around here, in my opinion, and I'll see what they say.

And then, fortunately, this fall, I'll probably be going back to the church league I was formerly in. It is about 8 miles away. But they're the ones that bought the bowling center in my hometown (which is about 1.5 miles away). So, I can probably just go up there and talk to the Pro Shop guy here in town, and he'll be able to give me info on both of the local bowling centers.

It said on their website that he manages both pro shops, as well as the bowling centers. I know the guy from years past, and he's a pretty nice guy (and a real good bowler).

Tell me something, Champ, as you seem very knowledgeable about bowling balls. I'm basing this off of bowlingball.com's perfect score (I believe that is what they call it).

Say you have a Roto-Grip or Storm ball (I believe they're the same company now), and this Roto-Grip or Storm ball has a matte finish of 2000 or 4000 and a very high hook rating of 230. And then we are comparing a Roto-Grip or Storm ball that is polished and also has a very high perfect score of about 230 to it. Is that matte finished ball going to hook more than the polished ball, or is the polished ball probably just going to go longer than the matte ball, before hooking?

I'm mainly just wanting to get another ball that gives me a little different look at the pins, because I can get into these ruts, just like the PBA guys, where I'm nailing the pocket, but leaving ringing 10s, or leaving 10s where the 6 pin just lays in the channel.

It can actually ruin a game for me, because I'm not that great at picking up the 10. I'd say conservatively, that I pick it up about 60% of the time. I want to work on that and improve it. But, if I'm bowling league one night, and all of a sudden I start leaving 10 pins, I'd like the option of using another really good ball, besides making a minor move on the approach or my target out on the lane.

Thanks for all your help! I hope I didn't confuse you with my question(s).

#190694 - 03/02/15 04:40 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Firstly, when it comes to those hook ratings, I think most bowlers will find that two balls on opposite ends of the spectrum (very strong and very week) only hook 5-7 boards more than each other. I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy a weak ball and be forced to play up the gutter, and then get a very strong ball and be forced to play the 5th arrow. Your game will determine how much hook you get, and all balls are going to fall into a pretty finite window.

Basically, your Cell may force you to play 12 at the arrows, while the Eruption may force you to play 9 at the arrows. Not much difference really.

Now, the answer to your question can get kind of tricky.

When changing the surface of the ball you're not really changing how much it hooks, your changing when it hooks.

Taking a ball up in surface (2000 to 4000 for example) or polishing it, will make it hook later. This causes the ball to not hook in the midlane and to save its energy for the backend.

The result of this can cause the ball to hook more. (many bowlers assume polishing it will make it hook less, and usually it does, but its not always the case.)

The ultimate objective is to match the cover up to the conditions you're on. If you're on heavy oil, you want to sand it aggressively. If you're on very light oil, you want to bring the surface up, and polish it.

All of this takes a lot of trial and error, and a lot of really using your eyes. It even takes a long time to really understand exactly what it is you're looking for. Its not just about total hook. Its about getting your ball to do the right thing at the right part of the lane.

See you in Reno 2020!

#190696 - 03/02/15 04:46 PM Re: Columbia 300 Eruption Pro Hybrid [Re: iwanttoimprove]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

Here is a link to a great video that will help explain exactly what you want you ball to do. It takes a long time for a bowler to really be a able to see all of this in real time, but if you can pick up on a few ideas, your scores will improve.

Bowling academy

See you in Reno 2020!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.