BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189614 - 12/14/14 10:26 PM Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness?
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
After what I saw from him this morning on ESPN, I think that this young gun has got a bright future on the Tour, his overall mental makeup and him being a self-proclaimed "healthy-lifestyle advocate" should make him an instant crowd favorite and great role model for those of us and for kids who watch him bowl on PBA TV shows for years to come.

His arm swing reminded me of what footage I saw of vintage 1970s Dave Davis, but only with a higher setup position at the start, and a loose, free, open-handed back swing at the top and just a great release, great balance and finish position and the ability to post shots consistently due to his lack of forward spine tilt, I myself have a bit more tilt, to the point where my shoulders are too far forward (in front of my knees as opposed to being back over them), and because of that my balance is not too good anymore. I will be working on that later on this season at my new home house for this season, the 16-lane center, Laurel Lanes in Port Angeles, WA.

As for his performance this morning at the WSOB PBA Cheetah Championship, click here for details:

Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#189616 - 12/14/14 11:06 PM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: BIGHMW]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Local kid. Pretty good obviously. Especially when his shot is there. I didn't see the telecast but I've bowled against him in the past. Lefty if my memory serves me correctly.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#189617 - 12/14/14 11:15 PM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Yup, he's a lefty alright, and a pretty damn good one at that, he's got his head on straight, I hope he doesn't become a "one-hit wonder", but hearing from someone who's bowled against him, I now KNOW he'll be a great player and a consisitent one for years to come.

BTW, the PBA already has uploaded this highlight of his first match and specifically, the 10th frame, so ENJOY!!! smile :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWX72mbWIHQ

The entire telecast will soon be up on Wednesday at 2 ET on the PBA's own YouTube channel, so watch it.

www.BIGHMW.com

#189619 - 12/15/14 01:45 AM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: Smooth Stroker]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Originally Posted By: Smooth Stroker
Local kid. Pretty good obviously. Especially when his shot is there. I didn't see the telecast but I've bowled against him in the past. Lefty if my memory serves me correctly.

I suppose Richie and I could consider Pepe to be a local guy as well since he bowls in NEBA and has bowled in both of our home houses. I agree that he is very good. He has the ability to play straighter up the lane (like he was on the telecast), but he can also move in and swing it out from 3rd arrow.

We'll see if he can have success on the PBA going forward, but right now most of the patterns they put out there seem to favor the high-rev righties.

#189620 - 12/15/14 07:54 AM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Sometimes, somebody pops up on the national scene, and it appears they are an overnight sensation. What most people don't realize know is how many years their success was in the making.

I first saw Anthony Pepe bowl years ago as an amateur at a tournament at Carolier Lanes in North Brunswick, NJ. He won. Later, I saw him bowl in the Masters. He cashed. Again, I saw home bowl in a PBA East regional, his first as a PBA member. He won.

His form is without a doubt the best I have seen in a long time. He generates a lot of revs, but makes it appear effortless, finishing with an open hand. And, he is able to repeat shots, as evidenced on the TV show.

More than that, I admire his mental game, his work ethic. He has a fan page on Facebook, and I am one of his fans. He loves the sport of bowling, works hard, values his family and friends, and has a great attitude.

I'd say he is already great. The nation just caught its first glimpse on Sunday. Anthony Pepe is a young guy with a bright future in the sport of bowling. And, I wish him continued success. I know one of his goals is to be on Team USA. I look forward to seeing that dream realized, and to see more of him in the PBA TV finals.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#189621 - 12/15/14 01:16 PM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: BIGHMW]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Matt McNiel, one of the brightest stars at the USBC Open in recent years, said Pepe was maybe the best amateur bowler in the country in an interview a year or two ago (he's obviously since gone on to join the PBA, and is no longer an amateur.)

After hearing that, and seeing him featured in Buddies Pro Shop ball reviews (Pepe is one of the few who always shows balls thrown on sport patterns, and that's important to me) I went looking for some footage of him.

You can find lots of NEBA tournament footage featuring him, including the title match of the NEBA tournament of champions against another great from New England, Tony Reynaud (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-90cc1E910)

He's got a slew of accomplishments, including a 300 game at the USBC Open, back-to-back 300 games at a PBA tournament, a handful of NEBA titles, and a few PBA Regionals. Those are just the credentials he had in hand before ever bowling a national tour stop. Then he won a title in his fist national event...that bodes well.

The kid is excellent and has a bright future.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#189625 - 12/15/14 06:17 PM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: champ]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Not only does he have a bright future ahead of him, but also, he's also a Storm guy, as I have been since 2005, and PBA Hall Of Famer and Storm head ball rep extraordinaire Del Ballard will make sure that he is armed with the best weapons available to him!!! smile BOWL UP A STORM!!! smile

www.BIGHMW.com

#189627 - 12/15/14 09:45 PM Re: Anthony Pepe - is he destined for greatness? [Re: BIGHMW]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

.....and now all of us PBA fans can actually get a replica of Anthony Pepe's Storm "Flag Mix" jersey from High 5 Gear, designed just like the one he wore on TV this past Sunday, you can find it right here:

http://www.high5gear.com/pba-pro-replica...ate-jersey.html

www.BIGHMW.com

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.