BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189417 - 11/30/14 10:30 PM Where should your slide foot be at the foul line?
Pat013 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 40/M/New Jersey
I'm a right handed bowler and line myself up on the approach with the center tip of my right shoe. Tonight I was standing on the 12 board and my target on the lane was the 8 board. I was told that my slide foot(left) should end up basically on the board at the foul line where I set-up on the approach with my right shoe which was the 12 board. Is this true? If so, I'm having the hardest time getting my left shoe near the 12 board and I have a 4 step approach. My left shoe usually ends up anywhere from 18 to 20 at the foul line. I sometimes miss my target on the lane(8 board) to the left and think this is the reason why. But I also hit my target on the lane sometimes when my slide shoe ends up around 18-20.
Average - 193

Balls....

15# Hammer Black Widow Assassin(March 2014)
14# Storm Crux(October 2014)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#189421 - 12/01/14 07:34 AM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
First, you should line up at address with the inside of your slide foot. When you talk to other bowlers, they will assume you are lining up this way and talk to you with that in mind. Not that doing it your way won't work for you...just makes communication with others easier. So, you'll have to figure out where that is when your right foot is on 12. Next, are you targeting 8 straight down the boards or are you swinging it out a bit or tugging it into the puddle? THIS will make a huge difference.

Most folks are 7 or so boards apart at the delivery, even big folks like me. If your slide foot is on 12 your ball would probably go over 5 at the foul line. If you slide on 18, the ball will pass the foul line over 11 (more or less)...do you target the arrows? you do not say...if you mean 8 at the break point THAT will make a difference as well. So, if you're on 18 at delivery, the ball passes 11 at the foul line, and makes it to 8 at the arrows, it has moved right 3 boards in 15'. so it should be on 5 at 30' and 2 at 45'. Some lanes play that way...are you swinging it that far out to look for friction?

OTOH...if you are talking about 8 at the arrows and 8 at the break point, I'd say try standing on 15 with your slide foot. If you find you do not end up at 15 for delivery, adjust your starting position until you do. Needless to say, these things need to be worked out in practice. It is unreasonable to yourself and teammates to try to figure this stuff out in competition.

Does any of this make sense?

good luck to you...YMMV mine usually does!

Edited by 6_ball_man (12/01/14 07:37 AM)
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Rotogrip Winner - box
Brunswick Gold Rhino Pro shiny
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#189425 - 12/01/14 11:48 AM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
To continue with what 6-b was saying. . .

No two people walk exactly the same.

Is your approach consistent? You do want that. . .
Are you in balance and rhythm? You do want that. . .

once you're where you like to be, in balance, consistent, etc. then take a look at where your feet are when you finish (posting your shot, of course) - compare with where you started.

Is your left foot at the same board? Yay! Is it not? Yay! LOL

Don't worry about it too much - remember, the pros will step left to get more angle on the lane, so they don't end where they started. I tend to drift slightly left, but consistently.

Just make sure there isn't some significant disfunction (i.e. inconsistenty, skip and hop, whatever) and then be consistent with it.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#189427 - 12/01/14 03:31 PM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
I'd back up what mmalsed say's,it's the consistency that's needed.It don't really matter what method you use to line up, feet:together, apart, one in front of the other, on tip toes, you get the drift. If your hitting your mark and can adjust when and as you need to. If it works for you then its right for you and it's you bowling not some one else.

#189449 - 12/03/14 05:21 AM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
Pat013 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 40/M/New Jersey
My slide foot is consistently around 18. I use the dots before the arrows on the lane for my target/mark. Sometimes I hit my target, sometimes I miss to the left and cringe as I watch my ball go through the headpin and hope a split is not the result. I don't really swing my shot. I'm more down and in. I honestly don't know where my break point is. If I do have one, I can't really tell where it is because to me, it just looks like it's going down and in. It's not a swing Jason Bellmonte or such. I'd say my delivery is more like Walter Ray Williams Jr. I even have some videos on here if you look at my past posts. Maybe they're good enough to give you a better idea. I just feel that because my slide foot isn't where my right foot was during my set-up on the approach is why I'm missing my target to the left at delivery.
Average - 193

Balls....

15# Hammer Black Widow Assassin(March 2014)
14# Storm Crux(October 2014)

#189452 - 12/03/14 12:41 PM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

if you miss left, it's more likely that you're pulling the ball down and as you do so, the tendency is to pull left (for a righty). Slow your feet down so you won't need to pull at the ball for it to catch up.

When you make adjustments - does your slide foot still end up at 18? That's what my M-in-Law tends to do. . . which kinda defeats the purpose! LOL

#189458 - 12/03/14 04:23 PM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
steveA Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 58/male uk
Got to disagree with you on that one mmalsed, you're assuming parallel adjustment, that's like saying all balls going over the middle arrow are going to hit the head pin,moving left or right will take the 10 or 7 at the extreme. Slide foot staying the same could make a big difference depending on the start position, creating more or less angle, there's always more then one way to adjust.

#189460 - 12/03/14 07:29 PM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I walk toward my target, so I have a drift of about 4-5 boards to the ball side. That is normal if you walk at your target.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#189481 - 12/04/14 09:03 PM Re: Where should your slide foot be at the foul line? [Re: Pat013]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

No, you miss my point. If you make an adjustment, and walk toward your target, you should be left or right at least SOMETHING at the line.

If you move 2 boards with your feet but keep the same target at the arrows, your approach is approximately as long as it is to the arrows - thus your feet should be 1 board left at the line.

If you're making a parallel move, then your feet should change as well, at the line.

If you move your feet, but end up at the same place at the line, it's more likely that you're drifting getting to the line so your adjustment has gone (to some extent) out the window.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 10/18/18 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.