BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188964 - 10/17/14 02:03 PM Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky.
Mrmike2020 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 52/m/IL
For the past couple of seasons whenever I use white tape in my thumbhole it seems to get tacky after half a dozen shots and I get into an endless cycle of too tight/too loose. I took off bowling from 2000-2010 and never seemed to have this problem before. It is almost as if the glue is coming through the tape or it has built in rosin. I like the rough surface of the white tape because I can let the ball hang on to me... But when it's tacky I can't get a clean consistent release. It doesn't matter is it's on the front or the back... And no, I'm not eating cotton candy with my fingers between shots.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#188969 - 10/17/14 06:09 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: Mrmike2020]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 70/m/IL
I use both the white and black 1" wide tape from Ebonite. Tried the black from Brunswick and it feels sticky to me, but it sounds like all you're using is the white stuff.
I make a wedge toward the bottom of the thumbhole from several layers. Use a few pieces of cut tape. Then I cover it with one or two pieces of black tape.
On the back side of the thumbhole use Teflon tape as I like to get my thumb out of the hole easily.
Don't like the feel of the white tape on the pad side of my thumb much at all and it grabs at me.
It could be that your hand gets a little wet from sweating or something to cause the stickiness though.
Hope this helps...

#188979 - 10/18/14 11:56 AM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: Mrmike2020]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
The white tape is supposed to be a bit grippy. If you can't get used to the feel, then try without...or try black. Everybody is different, and everybody has their own preferences. Keep experimenting, and you'll find your perfect setup. When I saw the title, I thought it was about actual thumb tape... tape that goes on your thumb. Best thing I ever found. I did discover that with Master thumb tape, the adhesive would bleed through the cloth, and build up on the back of the thumb hole.... tried Turbo (blue)...works perfectly.
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#188980 - 10/18/14 01:21 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: trekguy]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

Trek, You're so right! Everyone has their own preferences. It takes some trial and error. I've tested a couple other brands of protective tape including Turbo Grip's and have found that Vise tape is best for me. Not only do I have tape in the thumbhole, but use the protective tape on my thumb. I'm fairly sure I could do without the protective tape, but it's just insurance I suppose... smile

#189000 - 10/19/14 12:26 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: djp1080]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

I like the feel of the white tape in the front, and I use black in the back for size adjustments. The protective thumb tape for me is less for protection, and more for feel....it allows the ball to come off the same every time. I have tacky skin, and have struggled for years with hanging up in the thumb. Thumb tape is amazing!
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#189033 - 10/22/14 08:11 AM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: Mrmike2020]
6_ball_man Online   content
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I, too, use the white, rough tapes in the front (one in each ball) and I adjust for fit with electrical tape in the back...Usually my thumb SHRINKS as I bowl. So, when I get to the balling hall, I remove all the electrical tape - I only replace the whites after a surface adjustment - then add electrical tape back in as needed until my thumb stabilizes - usually 2 or three pieces end up in there after about 1/2 way through the first game. The first one is going back in before warm-ups are done! We aren't talking about much here...I used to be a mechanic/machinist, so naturally, I mic'ed the tapes and found out the whites are .008" thick and the electrical tape mic'ed out @ .004". I have never measured the smooth black tapes, but they definitely "feel" thicker than the electrical stuff I use.
Which brings up an off topic pet peeve of mine...I have had drillers say that the span was "only" 1/8" different ball to ball...well...1/8" = .125"...I adjust with 4s and 8s, but 125 isn't supposed to make a difference??? LoL

YMMV - mine certainly does

Edited by 6_ball_man (10/22/14 08:18 AM)
Storm IQ Tour30 - 4k dull
Monster Loch Ness - 4k+polish
Hammer Onyx Vibe - 4k dull
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

#189037 - 10/22/14 01:40 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: 6_ball_man]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

1/8" difference? That's huge! If you take your time, there's no excuse to be off that much!
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#189046 - 10/23/14 12:18 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: Mrmike2020]
mmalsed Online   content
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
btw - there is a difference between electrical tape and black bowling tape.

I've found that electrical tape gets gooey and slides around and leaves a LOT more residue (after a bit of time) than does the black bowling tape. I'd recommend not using electrical tape. . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#189051 - 10/23/14 05:58 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: mmalsed]
djp1080 Offline
High Roller

There's difference between vendors of black bowling tape, too. I found that Ebonite's black tape is likely a bit thicker and easier to place inside the thumbhole compared to that of Brunswick's brand. I typically will use a tweaker (small screwdriver) to place the tape inside the hole. My problem was with either Brunswick or electrical tape, the tape had a tendency to catch on the sides of the hole and bend around on itself. Never had that problem with Ebonite's tape.

#189055 - 10/23/14 09:09 PM Re: Thumb Tape Help - Gets sticky. [Re: Mrmike2020]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
So happy, I was told NO Need to cover the holes!

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Storm Byte
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Storm Ride
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.