BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18892 - 01/05/05 04:00 PM Spare ball - necessary or not
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
This discussion started in the beginner forum and is more appropriate here. I do not advocate either method of making spares but I choose not to use a spare ball. Just wondering what thoughts are out there.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18893 - 01/05/05 04:33 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
For me, I'm using the 2001 Blue Hammer, no spare yet. I only got it a few weeks ago so I'm still learning how to get consistent hooks with it but it's not too bad now. For spare shots I throw it straight. The problem is, I find that by switching back and forth, it's slowing down my ability to be consistent.

Last week I went and played 3 games, but used a house ball for the spares so I could consistently throw my Hammer the same way and I could see the difference in accuracy between the first and third game. A few days ago I played a few games with just my Hammer and didn't do as good.

I'm definately getting a spare ball very soon.

#18894 - 01/05/05 05:20 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
Scout Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/M/Fort Worth, TX
For what it is worth I have had my old Black Diamond plugged and drilled like Columbia Wicked to use as a spare ball. On the days that I just can't hit the 10 pin (you know those days that you don't flatten out the release enough for some odd reason), I go back to old reliable that is why I invested in the old black ball.

I think I should use it more.

#18895 - 01/05/05 10:46 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
ACK Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 41/male/ Indiana
I use a plastic ball at all of my spares on the right hand side of the lane. I can flatten out my other balls but I am more consistent just throwing the plastic the same way as my strike shot. The plastic ball is just a cheap plastic ball that was like $40 new. I switched to using a spare ball last year and it has really helped.

#18896 - 01/06/05 11:53 AM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
goatster Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Oxbow, Jefferson (County)
i switched to a spare ball about 3 years ago.after i switched in the middle of the seaon i raised my avg. 10 pins by the end of the season.i only use the plastic ball for 10 pin and on occasion 3-10 or 6-10.although this year i seem to be having a prob.with picking up the teneven with my plastic ball.i used to convert the 10 about 95% now its more like 75%wich is killing my avg. im down about 10 pins in one league and about the same in the other league.

#18897 - 01/06/05 12:17 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
[censored] and Goatster
This is bowling joel
I use for right hand spares a columbia blue dot.It
absolutly does not hook more than 1 bd. I have made
about 85% of my spares on the right side. Most of
which is the ten pin and the 6/10. I even have made
some splits that wowed the other teams I have bowled
against. One that is monster is the 4 6 same plane
right. Used blue dot and clipped the six on right
side and slid it over to take out the 4. Two bowlers
nearly fainted. But bowlers 3 lanes on either side
were cheering. :p I never believed in spare balls now I swear by them.
strokers do it better with help. bowling joel thumbsup
now

#18898 - 01/06/05 01:05 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
Raynger27 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 25/M/NJ
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by ACK:
I use a plastic ball at all of my spares on the right hand side of the lane. I can flatten out my other balls but I am more consistent just throwing the plastic the same way as my strike shot. The plastic ball is just a cheap plastic ball that was like $40 new. I switched to using a spare ball last year and it has really helped. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I agree 100% with this thumbsup Keeping the same motion as with my strike ball to make the 10 and such has really helped me develop a consistent release, rather than altering the release for every spare possibility.

#18899 - 01/07/05 12:46 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
goatster Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: Oxbow, Jefferson (County)
joel
that is a very nice pick up the hardest spare i ever picked up was the 8-10 and i didnt see it i just chucked it at the 10 as hard as i could knew i had the 10 coverd turned and walked away as i reached the end of the approach a guy from the other team said i got it i looked over my shoulder and sure enough it was gone.

#18900 - 01/07/05 01:02 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
802dave Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 52/male/Fort Worth, TX
I've picked up the 4-6 a couple of times, but never the 7-10 or 8-10.

I picked up the 4-9 last night then immediately after, the anchor on the team I subbed on left the 4-10 and picked it up! On both conversions, the pin fell forward. We had some fun last night! But so did the other team; in their first game, only one bowler (5-man teams) shot less than 220...

Dave

#18901 - 01/07/05 01:48 PM Re: Spare ball - necessary or not
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
I haven't gotten a 4-6 split yet but did get a 6-7-10 once. That's why my avatar is what it is. wink

It was quite interesting. I got the split and when I was getting ready to throw the second ball, I stopped for a minute, looked at it, and said to myself, "this is easy, just go for the 10 pin and when the ball skins the 6, it'll fly over to the 7". I focused on the 10 pin, (I aim for pins), threw the ball straight at it, saw the 6 fly over top of the 7, hit the wall, and bounce back, right at the 6.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.