BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188323 - 09/06/14 06:55 PM Starting back after 25 years
baumer64 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 49/M/WA
Starting back into bowling after 25 years. 1st time in league since college intramurals in 1988. (180 average back then) This is video of me breaking in new shoes and trying to find the groove. Ball is used 15lb. Brunswick Danger Zone HPH, plugged and drilled for me.(Trying this till I figure out what I need.) Any tips are appreciated. I know I'm overweight and am working on losing some.
My set up; left foot is 2 boards left of center dot and trying to roll over 2nd arrow.
More about me; used to be very athletic, coaching sports etc. Still a scratch golfer and just want to give myself a chance to be competitive at bowling.
So here's the video...please help but be gentle.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PhTv8moSw&feature=youtu.be

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#188327 - 09/06/14 10:50 PM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: baumer64]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
1st of all welcome back . There is a lot of good things going on so it should be a fast road to scoring big.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled_zps4dc6cffa.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Starting left to right. Keep the head over the ball.
1st pic everything looks good. A little more side [censored] is needed, Think to keep your left eye over ball at the start and during the entire swing. Don't forget to keep your head over the ball at the release point.
2nd pic, nice crossover step and pushaway on time. Need to keep the head over the ball.
3rd pic,Nice footwork but the hand is starting to move outside of the ball. Try to stay more behind . You can see how far the head has moved away from the ball. Keep the head over the ball.
4th pic , the 3rd step didn't stay inline with the 2nd step. Try to walk a straight line.
5th pic, Head not over ball and hand is a little on the side.
6th pic, You lose your balance in almost every shot. Post the shot so you can see the ball roll over the target(red arrow). If your head is moving you cannot see if the ball is rolling over the target.
Don't reach up after the release think to reach down the lane. This keeps the fingers in the ball longer.

Keep the head over the ball/tilt.
http://www.strikeability.com/learn_06.php

Balance and release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9lDk848-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zua0YHcAvt4

After the release follow through like a pro.
http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/mt_follow_through_like_a_pro_sept_1_2006.pdf

a good video to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE&noredirect=1
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#188332 - 09/07/14 02:50 AM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: spr3wr]
baumer64 Offline
Bantam

Thank you spr3wr for the analysis, tips and sites to study! They all are very informational. Now I'm looking forward to going in and working on these changes. I'll let you know how the progress goes.

Again a huge thanks to you for taking the time for the analysis!

#188333 - 09/07/14 03:53 AM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: baumer64]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think all you need to do is finish with your left foot more into the center of your body and remember to set youself up for balance on that next to last step. Once you do that and get some posting and finish position (not stepping off) then you will gain a lot of leverage and carry.

ERin

#188336 - 09/07/14 10:24 AM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: Atochabsh]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
I think all you need to do is finish with your left foot more into the center of your body and remember to set youself up for balance on that next to last step. Once you do that and get some posting and finish position (not stepping off) then you will gain a lot of leverage and carry.

ERin

His slide is not bad, it's more of trying to post the shot than having a better finishing position. .
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#188338 - 09/07/14 01:43 PM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: spr3wr]
baumer64 Offline
Bantam

Thanks guys. Getting better balance so I can post is what I can see I need to work on. The links and videos that spr3wr gave are going to be a great help. I'll let you know how it goes Monday night. Unfortunately I can't get to the lanes to practice today.

#188340 - 09/07/14 08:59 PM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: baumer64]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
its really hard to be balanced at the foul line when your slide foot is towards the outside of your body's center of gravity.

Erin

#188369 - 09/09/14 02:17 AM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: baumer64]
baumer64 Offline
Bantam

Well... I'm a work in progress. Only a 455 series tonight. (129,176,150) When I had good balance and follow through, things went well. Didn't do those things enough though. Hope to get in some practice this week.

#188375 - 09/09/14 03:13 PM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: baumer64]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

When your in league play don't think about the tips or drills we gave you, just try to score.when you practice only work on 1 tip at a time. Start with the balance 1st. Then the side lean keeping your head over the ball.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#188381 - 09/09/14 05:59 PM Re: Starting back after 25 years [Re: spr3wr]
baumer64 Offline
Bantam

Will do...
I think I was just trying too hard last night and really struggled to concentrate. It will come as you've given me a good plan of improvement to follow which I will when I get some time to practice.
Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.