BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180710 - 08/30/13 08:20 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: VFF57]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Assuming he used an entry level reactive like a Freeze or a Slingshot, or a Urethane like a Polar Ice, Natural Pearl, or Blue hammer, what grit would be best for him on these drier conditions?

Because his ball rolls so early would polished be better to retain energy?

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#180713 - 08/30/13 09:14 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: nord]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: nord
Assuming he used an entry level reactive like a Freeze or a Slingshot, or a Urethane like a Polar Ice, Natural Pearl, or Blue hammer, what grit would be best for him on these drier conditions?

I would start with polish and maybe go 4000 if needed depending on how dry it is where he's playing. The Freeze is 4000 + polish so a little going over the ball with a 4000 pad would do the trick.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#180715 - 08/30/13 10:17 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
I'm curious which house balls seem to work better and why. My guess is that some grips fit better and maybe aren't as greasy inside.

House balls are sometimes weak urethane, like a Polar Ice or Mix.

A C300 Scout offers oil absorption without having a weight block and the cover is weak.

If the ball has a weight block, maybe place the pin within 1" of the PAP or 6"+ away from it to keep flare minimal, depending on whether you prefer a lower RG or higher RG layout.

Surface-wise, considering that house balls are not highly polished, P4000 sounds like a good starting point.

What about weight?

#180718 - 08/31/13 12:17 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD

You mentioned this friend has only the slightest angle of axis rotation, 1-3 degrees, and is very accurate. Since that minimizes the likelihood of the ball over reacting, and since low axis rotation tends to get the ball into a roll early, 4000/polished on urethane and plastic would generally help him get the ball down the lane with more energy and entry angle. On super dry lanes, a polished reactive will hug the lane like a racing slick on a hot, summer day, and is therefore not recommended.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#180724 - 08/31/13 01:04 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Guessing the balls will be similar if u swing at same speed with no side rotation for both balls.Your release will have the biggest influence on your shot, whether u release end over end, or fast with side roll, a lot of variables really..

The urethane might grip and move a smidge over last 5-10 ft possibly, depending on how u released ball, but if there was a difference guessing it would be minimal at best.. Others are better qualified here for more tech info..

A friend of a friend, is a strong girl who throws dead straight aiming over the 3rd arrow, so she stands out a bit on approach, got to 192 throwing dead straight with minimal angle, she was very accurate and had good speed..She is the heighest ave straight bowler I know of , I'm sure they may be many more and higher out there?

I would get a white dot or the like (something with symmetrial core, drilled weak)..(I'm assuming you are new to bowling? hope thats right), and learn to throw it straight from outside of 3rd arrow personally, but also have fun playing with some degree of lift just so u may beable to impart some rotation on ball with minimal hook for fun whilst your'e learning..I wouldn't get too worried about which ball is the best, seriously u are learning...Work on repeatable and in time footwork, nice armswing first before ball selecion..

Like me worrying about my $hitty golf driving, little point in me buying a $400-600 driver that Tiger Woods uses, when I simply cannot repeat a drive from hole to hole, it comes down to technique and consistancy, both of which are lacking in my golf game..

Just my 2c here, as another poster pointed out, the game is meant to be fun after all.. Buy a basic ball, get it drilled and practise.

#180727 - 08/31/13 08:27 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
On super dry lanes, a polished reactive will hug the lane like a racing slick on a hot, summer day, and is therefore not recommended.

If he's rolling the ball up between the 2-3 arrow there's gotta be some oil out there for skid. If he's pointing the ball up from the corner or it really is bone dry gutter-gutter then maybe plastic is the way to go. IMO nothing is going to hit like a reactive matched to the conditions.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#180730 - 08/31/13 09:36 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: VFF57]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: VFF57
Quote:
On super dry lanes, a polished reactive will hug the lane like a racing slick on a hot, summer day, and is therefore not recommended.

If he's rolling the ball up between the 2-3 arrow there's gotta be some oil out there for skid. If he's pointing the ball up from the corner or it really is bone dry gutter-gutter then maybe plastic is the way to go. IMO nothing is going to hit like a reactive matched to the conditions.

It really depends on the conditions. I have seen polished reactives hook 2-3 boards before the arrows on super dry lanes. On those conditions, my urethane Natural Pearl hits harder than any reactive ball because it saves more energy for the pocket.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#180846 - 09/04/13 01:01 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: nord]
aoiten Offline
Legend

A/S/L: amerika ni sunde iru
I have a player in my league who bowls very straight with house balls.
About 13 to 14mph on average.
He has perfected this art and gets a nice lift on the ball that gets it rolling almost out of his hand.

I've been thinking...13-14mph when throwing straight...that's pretty slow. I can do 17-18mph or more without effort and I don't normally bowl one-handed. (Based on the speed monitor.) Maybe he gets more than a little "lift"?

#188034 - 08/18/14 04:44 AM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: Iago]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
I would like to briefly revisit this topic.

I notice that most comments say that if a person rolls the ball straight that they are best off using a plastic or urethane ball.

I was rolling my Storm Natural Pearl with 4000 grit polished on our new league house which puts down a lot of oil on their house shot.

I was rolling over second arrow down and in.

If I hit pocket I could see the ball was deflecting leaving ten pins and in some cases 5 pins.

The ball was just not getting into a roll soon enough and this was at my slow speed of 10mph as measured at the pin deck.

It just seemed that I needed a ball with a lot more teeth so it would bite sooner and track so it would not deflect.

Based on this observation wouldn't a lower grit ball or a reactive ball be the better choice in most instances?

Would a solid or a pearl be the better choice?

A strong solid like the "Master Mind" would start to roll very early.

But a pearl like the "IQ Tour Pearl" would track later, storing energy and reacting much more suddenly.

Since there is no side roll on the straight ball, which of the two ball types mentioned would be the best match up to a straight rolling ball to get it through the pins and why?

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#188043 - 08/18/14 07:53 PM Re: Best STRIKE ball for a straight bowler? [Re: nord]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
I've read here that Storm's VLS spreadsheet is a good tool for helping determine a drilling layout for a ball. Recently worked with my Pro Shop operator on laying out a Storm Optimus. On my first outing I very pleased with the results.
Nord, very likely success with your slow ball speed, etc., will depend upon the kind of reaction you're looking for and the RG of the ball selected.
Many of the folks in the senior league I bowl in have very low speed, too, and their balls tend to hook way too early in my opinion. I don't have that problem as I'm at 17 or 18 mph off my hand.
It's likely that a higher RG ball may help some of the slower players as well as an appropriate hole layout. Perhaps the Storm VLS spreadsheet might help. It has several variables to select drilling such as ball speed, but the very slow setting is for 13 mph not 10 mph. I suppose it could be tweaked to accommodate a very very slow setting or that the very slow setting might just be the ticket. Worth trying...
Hope Joe Bowler jumps in and helps you... smile Good luck!
Hope this helps...

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by jsigone - Yesterday at 01:03 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.