BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187712 - 06/27/14 09:32 PM Please Critique My Approach
byeung100 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 18/m/Pennsylvania
Hey everyone this is my first time posting. I have been bowling for about a year now and wanted to know what I can do to improve my game. I know that there are probably many things that can be fixed.

Bowling Video Back View

Bowling Video Side View

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187718 - 06/29/14 10:24 AM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
1st keep up the good work . You have a very solid foundation so some small changes is all that I see that you need to work on.
From the side
http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled_zps9f44e194.png.html

Green oval) the non use of your balance arm. Notice the pros almost looks like they are trying to create a straight line. This helps opening the upper part of the body. This is the part of power game.

http://www.denverbowling.com/tips/tip-2009-01-BalanceAndTheBalanceArm.pdf

Red oval)When your right foot compresses ,at that point the ball should drop freely from the top of the swing. in you video the ball has started to drop before that point. In the pic I added of the pros you can see how small the power step is compared to yours. You should take a smaller 4th step (5 step approach) to get ahead of the ball.

Back view
http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled_zps72697bcd.png.html

When you drop the ball into the swing try to drop it over your right knee not outside your body.Notice how close the ball is to the pros leg compared to you.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/058_bji.pdf

And lastly you turn your wrist too early. Work on 1 drill at at time.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#187726 - 06/30/14 07:19 PM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
byeung100 Offline
Bantam

Alright, thanks for the response. I will work on these as soon as I can. I just have one question. Are the lengths of my steps in general throughout the approach too long, or should it be fine (other than the fourth step)?

#187727 - 06/30/14 07:32 PM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

just the 4th step.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#187757 - 07/07/14 05:37 PM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
byeung100 Offline
Bantam

I have been working on my balance arm forward recently. It seems that the shoulder rotation is making my shots inconsistent. Sometimes it's fine, but other times I tend to pull the shot left. Any advise on what I might be doing wrong?

Also I read the article about the balance arm and one part of it confused me: "It is key to keep the thumb pointing down, as this will prevent you from moving the arm back past your shoulders in the downswing. If you are still not sure of this, try this simple test. First, stand up and stick your balance arm out with your thumb pointed up. Now, move your arm back as far as you can. Next, do the same thing with your thumb pointed down. You will find that as your hand gets to be even with your shoulders, you will feel resistance the biomechanical effect of how our bodies are constructed." When I did this test my arm could go as far back as it did with my thumb pointed up.

#187773 - 07/09/14 08:33 PM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

Originally Posted By: byeung100
I have been working on my balance arm forward recently. It seems that the shoulder rotation is making my shots inconsistent. Sometimes it's fine, but other times I tend to pull the shot left. Any advise on what I might be doing wrong?

1) I addressed that in my earlier post.

Red oval)When your right foot compresses ,at that point the ball should drop freely from the top of the swing. in you video the ball has started to drop before that point. In the pic I added of the pros you can see how small the power step is compared to yours. You should take a smaller 4th step (5 step approach) to get ahead of the ball.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled_zps9f44e194.png.html

Also make sure you are not pulling the balance arm back.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#187774 - 07/09/14 09:31 PM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
byeung100 Offline
Bantam

I think I have been pulling my balance arm back so I will watch that along with the 4th step. If I shouldn't pull my balance arm back, should it naturally move back during the swing? I found something where Norm Duke said "put your balance arm out there, and just forget about."

Edited by byeung100 (07/09/14 09:34 PM)

#187788 - 07/12/14 10:06 AM Re: Please Critique My Approach [Re: byeung100]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

Originally Posted By: byeung100
I think I have been pulling my balance arm back so I will watch that along with the 4th step. If I shouldn't pull my balance arm back, should it naturally move back during the swing? I found something where Norm Duke said "put your balance arm out there, and just forget about."

Correct!
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.