BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187706 - 06/26/14 03:45 PM League Scoring
CHep Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 54/M/Texas
We are in the process of setting up a league of 16 bowlers (8 2-person teams). We want the format to be where each twosome combines with another twosome on a rotating basis to play another 4-some. I have the schedule worked out but my dilemma is scoring. What would be the best way to score this? Award points to the team that wins the best of 3 match? What would you do at the end of the year? Give out awards for individuals or team or both? Should we paly with handicaps....I would assume so?? Looking for help here! Thanks so much!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187733 - 07/01/14 10:44 AM Re: League Scoring [Re: CHep]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Award points to the individual (or 2 man team) for their 4 man "team's" performance any given week, set a prize schedule based on those points. Could be a conventional game,game,game,total scheme, or just award 1 point for total. If it is a handicapped league, you should use handicap for this side event also. Perhaps the last week, arrange to have the 2 teams leading in points bowl each other mano a mano for the "title"?
At least that is the way I would do it...cool idea.

I have been in handicapped leagues with a scratch side match every week. Then at year end there was a stepladder or eliminator based on points accumulated.
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#187735 - 07/01/14 02:20 PM Re: League Scoring [Re: CHep]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
I just want to add that it'll be good luck finding league secretary software that can handle this format, as teams usually don't change from week to week like CHep is suggesting.

Edited by Richie V. (07/01/14 02:21 PM)
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#187736 - 07/01/14 11:05 PM Re: League Scoring [Re: CHep]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You are making this difficult. switching players on a team weekly, certainly is not a team format. At best, you have a twosome that can accumulate wins and losses.

I would suggest just having every lane marked with players A, B, C, and D. Not names. Your schedule dictates where they are to bowl by lane. In this manner, you can enter the handicap (which is individually calculated) in the scorer by each bowler. And, let the scorer do the rest for the team game.

Each twosome would keep their own score on a league scoring sheet. Record each scores, cap and won or loss (Circle score for a win). This total will have to be kept offline from the house computer, and tabulated separately. As any house computer is not this sophisticated.

Point totals can determine the winner of the league by twosome won/loss record.

It may get complicated in a rolloff. Gotta think of that.

Alternatively abandon the TEAM concept and just roll head to head. Each bowler can win a game and series against their own opponent. If you want a twosome, then add the two point totals together on a spreadsheet.

Just my thoughts.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187737 - 07/02/14 08:37 AM Re: League Scoring [Re: CHep]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
Chep, combining duo teams (making 4's) alternating each week, is beyond messy!!

Why not keep your duo teams (8 teams of 2 players), have handicap system (u may have to work that one out depending on quality of bowlers).. Rotate each team , each week, use handicap, and use points, and if u like u could organise a finals format?!? or not!

RE points, the best league that I played gave points for the following.

3 points beating your opponent head to head (inc hcp)
2 points for team
1 point if your team got it's average per game, regardless whether they won or loss.
1 point if u hit your average each game , so overall max of 3 point bonus
1 point if u hit 50 over average per game

All of the above is based on the one game, and creates a lot of interest for all bowlers, as there is always something of interest to play for!!!

Finally, for the night
3 point overall for entire night if your team wins
------------------------------------

This really, really worked for my league!!!

#187755 - 07/07/14 05:39 AM Re: League Scoring [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
Originally Posted By: Richie V.
I just want to add that it'll be good luck finding league secretary software that can handle this format, as teams usually don't change from week to week like CHep is suggesting.

True dat, but it should not be too difficult for an experienced spreadsheet jockey to come up with a work book that could handle it. In the sport league, we have a blind draw every 1/4 for teammates. Talk about a mess for the secretary. However, the guy whose job it was not only had league stats, but stats the house management used during tournaments (!)

YMMV - mine usually does
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.