BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187654 - 06/20/14 04:31 PM Getting my ball out.
Pat013 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 40/M/New Jersey
Can anyone here tell me what they think the reason is for me not getting my ball out in two of these videos? You'll see in videos #3,4 and 7 that my ball goes out further and hits the pocket. But then in videos#5 and 6 you can see I obviously missed my target but am fortunate enough to find oil and still carry the strike by going jersey instead of hitting my pocket.

Pocket shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFXfBCs2Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjJqZd6NXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTS_6ZeiWhE

Jersey shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usk352lfM2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXAVEn3gkXE
Average - 193

Balls....

15# Hammer Black Widow Assassin(March 2014)
14# Storm Crux(October 2014)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187656 - 06/20/14 06:23 PM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
The only thing that I can come up with is that the timing of the 3-step approach combined with the subtle move in your pushaway of the ball to your right may be causing your swing plane to be off directionally or your swing to be off speed wise. This could be causing you to pull the balls inside or through the downswing (which can cause a later release point), hence the Brooklyn/Jersey strikes.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#187658 - 06/21/14 11:39 AM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
your pushaway went too far right when the ball went Brooklyn. The pocket shot your elbow was closer to your body. Ideally you want the pushaway going over your right foot(RHB).
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#187661 - 06/21/14 03:25 PM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
Pat013 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 40/M/New Jersey
@TheDemolitionMan and spr3wr...First off, thanks for your feedback. I went and looked at the videos again but can't see what you two are seeing. To me it looks like my elbow is in the same spot with every shot.

And Demolition Man, you said "the subtle move in your pushaway of the ball to your right may be causing your swing plane to be off directionally or your swing to be off speed wise." Aren't you suppose to push the ball towards where your target is? I was always told that.

And spr3wr, if my pushaway should be going over my right foot, am I suppose to walk to my right since my target was to the right in these videos?
Average - 193

Balls....

15# Hammer Black Widow Assassin(March 2014)
14# Storm Crux(October 2014)

#187666 - 06/22/14 06:24 AM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Pat, I believe what they are talking about is where your arm is in the swing. There is a lot of space between your arm and your body. It should be closer. In fact, your elbow should be close to touch.

If your hand was more behind and under the ball in the swing, it will move your elbow closer to your belt through the swing.

Your side lean causes some of that space, too.

Edited by Dennis Michael (06/22/14 06:25 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187686 - 06/24/14 12:04 PM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Hi Pat - you know what I'm going to say. smile I will change my approach, though. smile

I changed the playback speed in Youtube to .25 - this really helps to see what happens when.

First, yes, you should push your ball in the direction of your target in order to begin a good swing plane. I'm also in favor of walking toward your target.

Second, your swing plane changed at the top of your backswing. You can see the left-to-right movement at :21-:22 and from that point, the ball falls "out" and not straight vertical. This is the result of muscling - your ball should be at the top of your backswing at the second-to-last step so your final step is all delivery/slide. In your case, your ball is at the top of your backswing at the start of your last step, in other words, early, so you have to pull it back down.

Pulling it back down is nearly impossible without some pulling to the side - because our muscles don't work that way! The muscles that pull our arm down, also pull it inward (leftward). That's the reason (well, one primary reason) why we try to have a completely unmuscled, pendulum swing.

This is a huge indicator to me - when I start being unable to get the ball right (out) it's a sign that my ball is late, my feet early, and I'm muscling the ball to get it to catch up. It's also harder on my left (slide) knee.

For you, on your three step approach, you need to start your feet later - you're starting your third-to-last step WITH your push-out. This means your feet are now well in front of your ball. Starting your feet later (with the actual drop of the ball, not with the pushout) will allow your ball to get solidly in your drop, and then backswing along with your second-to-last step and let that step be more of a stutter/"co ck and lock" step gathering up your power, and then when your ball is ready, you can step and slide into your last step and the ball will fall, on its own (it's gonna fall. . . you can't do nuttin about it! LOL) through delivery - and you won't change the swing plane (well, ideally!) You'll also be able to be more vertical, which helps with balance and your lower back and knees (and BOY do I need that! Whew)

You're not doing it badly. . . when I'm tired and unfocused, the direction of the ball can go 5 boards left at the arrows - that's bad. Yours is pretty much going straight. . . which still, you're wanting it to go out a bit.

If you want to stay three-step, here are my suggestions:

1. just do a slide-step approach drill. This will give you the "feel" of what the ball wants to do. Notice that none of these even care where the ball goes (well, forward, obviously! LOL) but they allow you to feel your body staying upright, your slide and balance foot being nicely set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DrO7EC4Jy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ23LKBLemw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Irk6bGFpY

2. Then move to integrate that with your three-step approach. You can look for "three step drills" - same thing for you. You're using a "drill" for your whole approach. Here's one and he talks about the balance and "feel" all the way throughout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZra4G0jFg

3. Now (can't help it. . . heh heh) - I would recommend adding that fourth step to the beginning of your swing - it really is there for a purpose. If you don't want to, I understand. I'm completely stubborn too. However, it gives you something to do with your ball in preparation for the last three steps. Right now you're combining that with your third-to-last step which causes your feet to be ahead of your ball and your arm to muscle the ball.

Hope this gives you a couple of tools and helps a bit.

Edited by mmalsed (06/24/14 12:06 PM)

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#187689 - 06/24/14 09:54 PM Re: Getting my ball out. [Re: Pat013]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.