BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187629 - 06/17/14 07:28 PM Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Compare Brian Valenta's two-handed style (with his thumb in although it's down to just the first knuckle) to that of Osku Palermaa and Jason Belmonte (no thumb used, period), what do you think of it???
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187634 - 06/18/14 08:45 AM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
For anyone who didn't get to watch it last night (me included), here is an older video of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsBSdZdfExU

#187643 - 06/19/14 02:40 AM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Hey Bighmv, his style is yet another style within a style I guess whether you put your thumb in, or partially, similar to Cassidy Schaub.. Bottom line, whatever works for you. I think having thumb in can aid the consistency in terms of the ball staying on your hand without any wobble or unnecessary movement.

Re General Pounder, I hate the crazy lofting, truly do! I hate seeing someone loft the gutter by around 25-30ft ridiculous.. Perhaps it's just me!

Ball down, increase your speed, adjust your release, I feel the pain of the lane as the ball comes smashing down.. I don't know, but I can remember some league bowler saying to me that the ball has to land before the arrows at 15ft otherwise a foul.. I am not sure if there is such a ruling here.

I have seen both Osku and Belmo loft, but Valenta seems to take it to the extreme on the vid.

#187644 - 06/19/14 08:59 AM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
General Pounder Offline

looseleftie: When I was in college, I remember bowling against Robert Smith when he was at San Diego St. He was throwing the lowest end resin ball and still against the ball return lofting it 20 feet down the lane. When the middle is toast like it gets on the US Open pattern (like what the vid above shows), you need to be able to get way left and control hook. Balling down is fine but you still need a ball that is strong enough to turn the corner and get you enough angle to carry. Could he have thrown a Urethane ball and gotten it to the pocket? Sure. Would he have been leaving 10 and 5 pins right and left? Absolutely.

I've never heard of the foul rule. I know that the lanes past 15 feet (when they were still wood) were made of a softer wood so lofting it past 15 could dent the lane. That may have been a house\league rule.

Edited by General Pounder (06/19/14 09:00 AM)

#187657 - 06/20/14 06:27 PM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: General Pounder]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I mean I'd have to see more, but from the description it sounds like Smallwood + Belmo. I don't know if it's any better or worse. But if it works for him I guess it's ok.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#187677 - 06/23/14 12:05 PM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I wouldn't mind a rule change stating you must stay within a specific area on the approach - perhaps 5 boards either way of your lane - heck, you can't bowl that way on the left end lane at a lot of houses. . . you'd be backed up against the wall. He'd need to be on the left side of the ball return to bowl on the right lane. . .

golfers have to stay in a certain area to hit their first shot and by the end of the weekend, that area is just toasted. . . why not the same with bowling? Sure, the lanes were likely toast, but a: with that much rotation, it's what ya get so live with it and b: everyone has to deal with it . . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#187681 - 06/23/14 07:04 PM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: mmalsed]
General Pounder Offline

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
I wouldn't mind a rule change stating you must stay within a specific area on the approach - perhaps 5 boards either way of your lane - heck, you can't bowl that way on the left end lane at a lot of houses. . . you'd be backed up against the wall. He'd need to be on the left side of the ball return to bowl on the right lane. . .

I know way too many people who drift a ton on the approach who this would completely hinder. It isn't because they get revs like Valenta\Belmo. Its just their style. You put rules around where you can or can't stand, there would be a huge uproar.

#187682 - 06/23/14 10:25 PM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Ha, just like the no-thumb bowler on my team… all over the approach. He would start on lane 2. Slide or plant on lane 2 side to lane separation. Roll on lane 3 with a sweeping hook. And, finish by walking backwards on lane 4, as the ball hooks.

To eliminate that, just install the old above ground ball returns.

what does Brian do on an even numbered lane? My teammate rolls a different ball, Urethane.

As to the loft… I know of Center managers/owners who would stop that, cause with repetition, it could dent the lane surface.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187685 - 06/24/14 07:52 AM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Depends on the lane surface. Lofting the ball doesn't really damage synthetic surfaces, they are harder.

It definitely can damage the softer down lane panels on wood surfaces.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#187687 - 06/24/14 12:15 PM Re: Brian Valenta's 2-handed style - what do you think [Re: Dennis Michael]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
new lane surfaces, they are MUCH harder than wood. The old wood lanes had hardwood for the first 20 feet and then softer pine from then on. . . synthetics have, what, concrete as their foundation? LOL - not gonna dent that.

Originally Posted By: General Pounder
I know way too many people who drift a ton on the approach who this would completely hinder. It isn't because they get revs like Valenta\Belmo. Its just their style. You put rules around where you can or can't stand, there would be a huge uproar.

If they drift that far, they HAVE to get big revs to get the ball to come back. You won't find strokers doing that - that might be how they get a 10-pin. . . but not anything near the pocket.

I understand there would be some uproar, but you know, I don't like people standing on MY lane to deliver THEIR ball. It's rude.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Ha, just like the no-thumb bowler on my team… all over the approach. He would start on lane 2. Slide or plant on lane 2 side to lane separation. Roll on lane 3 with a sweeping hook. And, finish by walking backwards on lane 4, as the ball hooks.
To eliminate that, just install the old above ground ball returns.
what does Brian do on an even numbered lane? My teammate rolls a different ball, Urethane.

I mean, really? Since when does it become "ok" to use THREE lanes to bowl on one? We have a couple of guys who walk off every shot, and they get spoken to by the upper-level bowlers (not me. . . the guys who have been bowling forever and are averaging well above me, and way above these guys) - you get to walk off shots on a 300 game, NOT on a 140 . . . LOL

It's not about style - using the lane next door to you to start and then using the other lane next door to you to walk off - that's all arrogance and rudeness.

And if you NEED that because you can't keep your ball on the lane otherwise . . . really?

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.