BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187531 - 06/02/14 08:47 PM My brother's form
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Here are a couple of videos of my brother's form (twin brother). He tends to release the ball on top so it has a spinner type of roll not forward roll. Lately he has a tendency to throw his arm out to the right too. This has bad results. His carry on light hits is not good due to the spinner action. These videos were taken late last year. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions on how to improve his release point.

http://youtu.be/O0bt9zXmu34

http://youtu.be/rf6uqgDmAIg

Edited by BowlerBill (06/02/14 08:50 PM)

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187541 - 06/04/14 11:26 AM Re: My brother's form [Re: BowlerBill]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
One of the reasons he tops the ball is because he does not properly use his balance arm. This causes his right side shoulder to come up at the release point and in turn the hand migrates up over the top of the ball.

Allow the balance arm to mirror what the ball side arm does and see what happens from there. So when the follow through happens the balance arm should be behind the left hip, not in front of it.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#187542 - 06/04/14 12:42 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: sk8shorty01]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
One of the reasons he tops the ball is because he does not properly use his balance arm. This causes his right side shoulder to come up at the release point and in turn the hand migrates up over the top of the ball.

Allow the balance arm to mirror what the ball side arm does and see what happens from there. So when the follow through happens the balance arm should be behind the left hip, not in front of it.

I'll pass this tip to him. I think you nailed it. So, he should have his balance arm pointing forward when the ball is at the top of the back swing and as the ball moves forward the balance arm moves backward?

Thank you.

#187543 - 06/04/14 01:39 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: BowlerBill]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Yes that is correct.

Watch my balance arm here:

http://youtu.be/GFhdo1SCF5o
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#187547 - 06/04/14 11:51 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: BowlerBill]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Is he wearing a wrist devise? It looks like he has his hand severely cupped. This would prevent him from staying behind the ball, and cause his side rotation and topping.

It also looks like a late timing which is odd since he has an early push off. This could only be caused by his quick steps not being in sync with his swing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187553 - 06/05/14 04:26 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: Dennis Michael]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Dennis,

He has always used a wrist brace. This is the type that can be used to lock the fingers but he doesn't have the fingers under the strap. I guess he uses it mostly to keep the wrist from breaking. He does cup it quite a bit through his swing but straightens it out as he moves the ball forward.

He does have a fast pace. He is constantly fighting the initial movement of the ball, trying to get it moving at step 2 not step 1. I suggested a slight delay between step 1 and 2 or a smaller step 1. Do you think either of these will get his timing corrected?

Thanks,

Bill

#187554 - 06/05/14 04:42 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: sk8shorty01]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

Good video. I'll send this his way along with your two slow motion release videos. Thanks

#187557 - 06/05/14 11:22 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: BowlerBill]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Instead of trying to delay him in the beginning of the approach if you want to change anything I would extend the third step, as that should be the longest step in the approach and right now it is pretty short for him.

An easy drill is to place a towel out there at the end of the ball return and make it where he has to step over the towel in step three, if he steps on the towel he didn't extend the step long enough (just make sure you stop if you step on the towel so you don't slip in your next step).

By extending step three this will shorten step four which is your power step. Watch the video below and pay close attention to the step just before the slide (which should be very short) and the step prior to that (which should be longer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIyiDCcbhs4
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#187571 - 06/09/14 03:30 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: BowlerBill]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Your brothers timing is very good! His 1st step seems a little fast.
In the pic below as long as the ball is at or below his hip at the end of his 2nd step (5 step approach) he is in a pro timing. At this point everything is great!
http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitledside_zps83467e25.png.html

At the end of his 4th step the ball is at the top of the backswing. The ball should hang /float there until his knees are almost side by side. As you can see thee ball has dropped already.Maybe a shorter step would help but i think he should 1st make sure he is not pulling the ball down from the top of the backswing. Ask him to relax the grip pressure just before it gets to the top of the swing and allow gravity to bring the ball down.
The balance arm as stated before should be corrected.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitledside1_zps3c561b19.png.html

I don't call this topping the ball. Tell him to instead of his thumb pointing at his ankle at the release point try to have it pointing towards the 7 pin.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/spr3wr/media/Untitled3_zpsf8b2fe8c.png.html

work on 1 tip at a time!
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#187574 - 06/09/14 08:03 PM Re: My brother's form [Re: spr3wr]
tunacious Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 55/m/cali
Hello,

I'm the brother. I want to thank you for your comments. I practiced on Saturday and Sunday with the teams that I'm bowling with in Reno. We had both patterns available. The approaches were tacky after the previous night open bowling. I tried to fix the slides of my shoes, but instead I moved up on the lane one shoe size. This slowed my feet down a lot. I could feel a stop and plant and the arm swing come through. I had much better roll, targeting and reaction. I will incorporate this on my Wednesday night league on Shark. I will also try the balance arm suggestions. I have made changes to my span and thumb pitches in the last 5 months. I decreased span by 1/16" and reverse pitch is 1/2". What do you think? I have bowled a long time and I have always gripped the ball. I now use white tape and tape so there is a little bit of tug on the thumb. I'm trying hard to get a free swing and just let it fall. I get about half the shots free and the others grip. I find that I grip when I need to make a shot and that causes problems. I stopped using the Mongoose after a local PBA guy said I had more revs with it off. I'm still trying to stay behind the ball through the shot as long as possible. Old habits are hard to fix, but I feel I'm making progress.

I really appreciate all the comments and I will post back more video when I think I have mastered your suggestions.

Edited by tunacious (06/09/14 08:06 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.