BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187230 - 05/02/14 07:09 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? ***** [Re: sk8shorty01]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
That's a shame since the reaction of the rubber ball for me is ideal.
Very smooth with just the right amount of friction.

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Hammer Black Widow Urethane
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187231 - 05/02/14 08:52 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
nord Offline

What are your thoughts on this ball as a weaker version of the Breeze?
This may be just what I need:
http://www.stormbowling.com/products/balls/confidencers

Arsenal

#187232 - 05/03/14 05:08 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: nord
"But, you may need to recalculate your personal offset. It could be 6 or 7 instead of 1 or 2."

How do I do this? What is the procedure?

To determine your personal offset, stand where you can roll the ball most consistently straight up the middle arrow (20 board). Focus only on the ball's path before it hooks or hits the pins. Note your starting foot position on the approach. The difference in boards from the 20 board is your personal offset.

What are your thoughts on this ball as a weaker version of the Breeze?
This may be just what I need:
http://www.stormbowling.com/products/balls/confidencers

Doubtful this ball would help you under the current conditions. The description is a strong pearl reactive with a pancake core. If rubber is working for you now, a strong pearl cover might be difficult to control.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#187235 - 05/03/14 02:38 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

So I should use the 20 board?
This is to assure oil and skid so I can see how straight the ball goes up the 20 board from my starting position?
If it drifts right or left then I adjust my feet until it goes perfectly straight?

Tell me if this is a clue:
Now that I know the real board value of the dots, (duh)
I find that if I want to play the Hardwick track,
I stand with my right foot directly on the second dot (15th board) and roll directly up the 10th board.
As you can see in this video the ball pretty much does right up the 10th board with a brief laydown around 11.5.
So does this mean I have a natural 5 board offset?

Arsenal

#187236 - 05/03/14 02:52 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

"For a plastic ball for strikes, you might want to consider a core that flares, ex: Hammer True Blood. More hook potential. Smoother hook shape. Less carrydown."

Can you explain this a little?

I do want to use my rubber ball at Kearny but have not tried it there yet on that lower friction surface.
I am not sure it will grip, or perhaps it may be even better there in the outside area 1-5 board and have a longer skid and more gradual transition.
But if it still leaves marks all over the lane then I won't be able to use it.
That is why I was looking for a very weak ball that would have similar cover stock reaction to my rubber ball.

I would think plastic would have a much more mild reaction than the Century 21 Rubber ball which is a softer rubber ball, not the real hard rubber balls that we are used to.

But maybe if I drill a "True Blood" real strong (MoRich Full Roller Layout) it will flare enough to equal the friction of the rubber ball?

Edited by nord (05/03/14 02:58 PM)

Arsenal

#187251 - 05/04/14 04:15 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

So I should use the 20 board?
This is to assure oil and skid so I can see how straight the ball goes up the 20 board from my starting position?
If it drifts right or left then I adjust my feet until it goes perfectly straight?

Tell me if this is a clue:
Now that I know the real board value of the dots, (duh)
I find that if I want to play the Hardwick track,
I stand with my right foot directly on the second dot (15th board) and roll directly up the 10th board.
As you can see in this video the ball pretty much does right up the 10th board with a brief laydown around 11.5.
So does this mean I have a natural 5 board offset?

I usually recommend 20 board because that is where the heaviest oil tends to be so you can see the ball skid longer. It appears there is sufficient oil on 10 board in your video to use that instead. But, if you are laying the ball down on 11.5 out to 10, that is not exactly straight up the 10 board.

#187252 - 05/04/14 04:25 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

"For a plastic ball for strikes, you might want to consider a core that flares, ex: Hammer True Blood. More hook potential. Smoother hook shape. Less carrydown."

Can you explain this a little?

I do want to use my rubber ball at Kearny but have not tried it there yet on that lower friction surface.
I am not sure it will grip, or perhaps it may be even better there in the outside area 1-5 board and have a longer skid and more gradual transition.
But if it still leaves marks all over the lane then I won't be able to use it.
That is why I was looking for a very weak ball that would have similar cover stock reaction to my rubber ball.

I would think plastic would have a much more mild reaction than the Century 21 Rubber ball which is a softer rubber ball, not the real hard rubber balls that we are used to.

But maybe if I drill a "True Blood" real strong (MoRich Full Roller Layout) it will flare enough to equal the friction of the rubber ball?

Plastic and hard rubber should have similar friction characteristics. A ball with a dynamic core (drilled to take advantage of its flare potential) would likely hook a board or 2 more than a ball with a pancake weight block. That may improve carry when used as a strike ball.

#187346 - 05/11/14 06:18 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

Quick update:

I have been using my 14lb rubber ball exclusively on the Poway lanes.
The marks that it leaves on the lane are wiped off completely when they clean and oil each time, so I am not as worried now about that.

What I have noticed and what really amazes me is the carry power of this rubber ball.

As you all know I have used 12lb reactive balls and then 13lb urethane balls but switching to the 14lb rubber ball made such a huge difference.

This ball has a very smooth mild reaction but does not roll out/die out even if I roll it really slow and to the right of first arrow.

No other ball I have used before seems to retain its pop like this ball. Even light hits will mix them up and carry.

I am still trying to find a good path to the pocket but when I do hit the pocket it is a strike 90% of the time now.

I am able to roll this ball at the same speed as I rolled my lighter balls and the pain afterwards only lasts two days, so i am getting stronger.

This Tuesday we move to Kearny to start practicing for league so I will see how the ball does on those lower friction lanes.

I guess my questions are simply:
-Why does this ball work so well for me?
-Is it the weight?
-The specific rubber surface and how it responds?
-The lack of a core?

At Poway I could not roll either of my urethane's at the ten pin without the ball hooking away, but I can easily roll the rubber ball right at it and I rarely miss.
I can roll the rubber ball straight up 10 board and it will hold but the urethane's will never hold.
And I can roll the rubber ball to the right of first arrow and if it hits the pocket, even if it is rolling really early, it will still carry, while the urethane's will burn up and be dead on arrival.

Again my average ball speed is 10.5mph which I know seems really really slow, but the rubber ball will lope to the pocket and sweep the rack no problem.

The people I play with and against always laugh and poke good hearted fun at me for my slow speed.
When they put my name on the board they always name me "Hurry up".
But when I start striking and picking up all my spares then they realize there are different ways to play the game.

So what I have learned is:
I need the ball that matches my style.
I need the right ball for the lane surface I am playing that still matches my style.
I need to find the right line to the pocket that matches my style.

Does any of this ring true?
Any comments or advice?

Thank you.

Arsenal

#187348 - 05/12/14 06:49 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

Right ball, right line, right release, right now. It can be a discovery process each time you roll the ball, but that's how to maximize your scores in bowling.

#187354 - 05/13/14 07:29 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

One final comment. For competitive bowlers, the choice of matching the lanes versus matching the player's style can determine a bowler's degree of success. Bowlers who try to match the lane conditions are likely to have an A game, B game, and C game that allow them to be successful on a variety of conditions. Bowlers that try to match everything to their own preferences are likely to have only an A game, thus limiting their potential success to a small range of conditions.

Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Where is every one?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 04:07 PM
by Dennis Michael - 01/18/18 04:49 PM
Motiv Venom Shock Pearl
by Jason_C - 01/18/18 10:51 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 01/18/18 09:54 AM
Competing against high rev, high speed players
by BowlerBill - 01/17/18 07:59 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 01/10/18 02:34 PM
Dual Angle Layouts
by Dennis Michael - 01/10/18 10:26 AM
Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Fused Video Ball Review
by mmalsed - 01/08/18 11:41 AM
Dare Devil Danger Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 01/07/18 08:56 PM
Good advice from my brother!
by Dylan585 - 01/05/18 04:13 PM
"Knocking the Shine" off of my Pearl Ball
by 6_ball_man - 01/01/18 09:11 AM
Have a happy and safe Holiday
by goobee - 01/01/18 02:34 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.