BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18709 - 12/19/04 01:50 AM to will? or to flow?
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
First problem
-I am right handed but with a dominant left eye.
I read on Susie Minshews website that if this is the case, then I have to look at 3 to 4 boards right of where my target is.

However I find that when I "will" myself to hit certain target/arrow I can do so accurately, however the ball still sometimes inevitably lands left of target.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation? Or should I just flow with it and target 3-4 boards right?

Second problem
-I get really excited when I bowl any competition trials etc. Not anxious but excited. I get hyperactive and often rush my shots, any mental excercises I can try to calm myself down?

Thanks! smile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18711 - 12/19/04 10:02 AM Re: to will? or to flow?
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
On the eye dominance issue, the answer is to just let it flow. It doesn't matter where you have to look in order to hit your target. Your mind will get used to it, after you throw some shots, and gain a feeling of comfort on the lane.

I too am left eye dominant, and have to get used to looking right of my intended target. But after playing for awhile, my brain makes the adjustment into that comfort zone. Then I just gaze in the direction of my target, and my body knows what to do.

On the relaxation thing.... It is just a matter of your conscious verses your subconscious. You need to tell yourself consciously to calm down, its just a game, it plays in its own time frame don't rush it, etc. etc.. Rushing everything takes the fun out, slow down and smell the roses along the way, or the fun will be gone from the game. You can't perform well if you are not enjoying what your doing.

#18712 - 12/19/04 10:21 AM Re: to will? or to flow?
Squirrel Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/male/London, Ontario
I'm right-handed with a dominant left eye also. To be more accurate, my right eye doesn't do a thing. If someone looks at me, they will usually see my right eye pointed off to the right. I only see with the one eye which makes judging distance a bit different.

When I bowl, I have aimed for the arrows and for the pins, and I find I prefer aiming for the pins. I find I can pick a spot to aim for, adjust as needed, and once I get the right spot, I can fairly easily keep getting the same results.

As far as getting excited, I haven't tried any competitions yet, but I just get excited each Monday night knowing I'm getting better each week and I'm in a hurry to see what I get. What I do about it is wipes the ball each time I pick it up to give me a few seconds to relax, and to keep the ball clean. Then when I'm ready to bowl, I hesitate for a few seconds until my heart rate goes down a bit. rotfl

#18713 - 12/19/04 02:01 PM Re: to will? or to flow?
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
thanks guys!

btw: my right eye is short-sighted while my left(dominant) is long-sighted...isnt that fun? LOL

#18714 - 12/19/04 04:38 PM Re: to will? or to flow?
JurseyJim Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49/M/NJ
Larry Mathews wrote about this in his book, "The Pro Approach". I usually have to look two boards to the right of my target in order to hit it. I find that once I move to the inside, I end up looking only 1 board outside my target. I'm still puzzling over that.

#18715 - 12/19/04 07:22 PM Re: to will? or to flow?
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
thumbsup

#18716 - 12/19/04 09:16 PM Re: to will? or to flow?
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Flamenco
this is bowling joel.
Today something happened to me to solve your problem. I was bowling first game in my sunday league when my teamate said to me you are spraying
the ball all around your target. Then he asks which
eye is dominat. I said let me check. I did the
triangle on the back of the approach. Closed left I
the pins stayed in the middle. Right eye dominat.
First game 163 before the triangle thing. 2nd game
225 with 5 bagger. 3rd game 199 with 3 bagger. At
delivery point I closed my left eye. Wala 587 and
195.2 average for the day. Use the triangle before
you practice and see what happens.
strokers do it better with help.
bowling joel

#18717 - 12/20/04 12:04 AM Re: to will? or to flow?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'm right handed and left eye dominant too. :-)

But reguardless of this....if you are missing left, you are 1. turning the ball too early 2. chicken winging i.e. bringing your follow through in front of your body 3. holding the ball too much in front of your body. You can move it just a scootch to the right in your stance.

Spraying = not focusing long enough on the approach. Rushing

Erin

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.