BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186306 - 03/29/14 02:13 PM So, got my first ball..... *****
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 35/M/UK
Ref this thread: http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthreads.php/topics/186265.html

I have only played one game now, and its my first reactive ball, with my first fingertip drilling.
Its like learning all over again - I bowled an 84 game, not a single strike, and only 2 spares.

I think I need a "101" on bowling with a fingertip drilled ball over a badly fitting house ball.
I *know* I am still gripping the ball, its all I have ever known to do, so realise thats probably one of the largest contributing factors to me just "not getting it", but can someone perhaps give me a few pointers in the right direction? I am booking some coaching sessions with a guy here in the UK who is apparently very good, but I would like to at least get *somewhere* before that.

I do realise that this is a really open ended question, but I am sure(I am hoping?) there are others who got their first fitted ball with fingertip drilling, and found it as alien as I have today.

Thanks in advance

J

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186326 - 03/30/14 08:04 AM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
It's great that you found a coach and booked some lessons. Until then, imagine you are tossing a football underhanded. It's something you can practice at home rolling the ball off your hand onto the couch.

Below, Sk8 demonstrates an effective release:

House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186328 - 03/30/14 01:07 PM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

Thanks Joe,
Those vids certainly will help.
So it is needed to turn your hand "off axis" to start to get the hook?
Not so much of an issue now, as I am just having problems getting the ball going in the direction I want, without any hook!
With a non fingertip drilled ball, I can get the ball pretty much where I want - with the fingertips, I am aiming for somewhere, and the ball will just go off diagonally (no hooking)somewhere else - I have been trying to analyse where/how this is happening, but to no avail - going back out on my own again tomorrow evening.

#186332 - 03/30/14 02:29 PM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA

It's really a very simple motion. Pay attention at the 1:10 mark.

When you do it right you should feel like the ball is rolling off your hand and the last thing it touches is your fingertips.

Don't try and force the ball to hook.

#186398 - 04/01/14 09:12 AM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

Had my first coaching session today. Sorted out my approach (which was all wrong), and have set to work on my swing. My main issue at the moment is that I seem to open my shoulders up to much, which is why I am getting such a wide spread.
And herein begins the fun!!!

#186679 - 04/09/14 03:43 PM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Lonemorf
Had my first coaching session today. Sorted out my approach (which was all wrong), and have set to work on my swing. My main issue at the moment is that I seem to open my shoulders up to much, which is why I am getting such a wide spread.
And herein begins the fun!!!

Any time you feel you need some help feel free to post a video in the "Videos" section and ask for advice. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site that would be more than willing to help you in between coaching sessions.

The best thing is to also let us know what your coach has you working on as you post the videos as well so that way we do not step on any toes or have you thinking about too many things all at once.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#186840 - 04/15/14 03:39 PM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

Thanks chap. Appreciated.
Im currently just working on my approach - its all wrong it would appear.
My targetting is way off too - but one step at a time. smile

#187153 - 04/29/14 08:54 AM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

Quick bump.
Still havent found a decent method of filming myself, so that sucks a little.
I had another coaching session today, and between that the fairly regular visits to the lanes, I think I am getting better.
He had me working on my release today, as my approach is pretty much there, but I am still slightly off balance at the end - need to work on that.
After my release work, I am now getting a bit of hook happening, which is proving useful - I just need to now work out what the "variable" is to make more or less hook. When I was bowling with house balls, and before my coaching, I was (excuse the poor description here) aiming my palm squarely towards the pins, and lo behold, the ball goes fairly straight towards them. After todays session, I am having my thumb face "10o'clock" if you will, which is adding some nice spin to the ball, and I am getting a nice gentle hook at the end of the lane.
So what makes that more or less aggressive? Turning my hand so my thumb is pointing at 9o'clock makes it hook more? Turning nearer straight towards the pins makes it hook less?

My coach just wants me to have fun, and doesnt want me to get hung up on technicalities (yet), but I have an inquisitive and experimental mind............. Im out again tomorrow night, so will have an experiment methinks!

Cheers

J

#187155 - 04/29/14 10:34 AM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: Lonemorf
I just need to now work out what the "variable" is to make more or less hook. When I was bowling with house balls, and before my coaching, I was (excuse the poor description here) aiming my palm squarely towards the pins, and lo behold, the ball goes fairly straight towards them. After todays session, I am having my thumb face "10o'clock" if you will, which is adding some nice spin to the ball, and I am getting a nice gentle hook at the end of the lane.
So what makes that more or less aggressive? Turning my hand so my thumb is pointing at 9o'clock makes it hook more? Turning nearer straight towards the pins makes it hook less?

The "original" guide to understanding and adjusting axis rotation...http://cmgbb.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/axis-rotation/
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#187157 - 04/29/14 11:15 AM Re: So, got my first ball..... [Re: Lonemorf]
Lonemorf Offline
Bantam

Fantastic link! Thanks chap.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Anthony Simonsen Gene Carter's Pro Shop Classic
by 82Boat69 - Today at 02:33 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 08/19/18 11:45 AM
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 10:29 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 08/19/18 08:41 AM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - 08/16/18 01:06 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.