BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187090 - 04/24/14 02:34 PM Summer Leagues 2014 thread
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Most summer leagues don't start until next month, but there may be some that have already started, so I'm starting the thread now to give those people a chance to update us on what's been going on so far in their summer leagues.

Personally, I'll be in the same Wednesday night summer league that I've been in for the last six years. I'll be reuniting with two of my former summer league teammates (one of whom also was a winter league teammate at one time), and our fourth is my winter league president, who will probably be bowling anchor. I'm just hoping to build on the progress that I (thought I) made this winter.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187092 - 04/24/14 07:34 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Only bowling in a Peterson Point league. Head-to-head matches. 3 opponents on 3 sets of lanes. 5 games a night.

Starts in 2 weeks.

First game is in position, 1 vs 2, etc
Move lanes for a 2 game match.
Move lanes for another 2 game match.

2 pts for each game win, 1 for each series, so 12 points.

Add total pins for 5 games and divide by 100 gives you extra points. Say, 5-200 games is 1000 pins. Divide by 100 for an extra 10 points.

Edited by Dennis Michael (04/24/14 07:38 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187101 - 04/25/14 09:41 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Going to be bowling in a PBAX league at a Brunswick center on Monday nights. It will be my first time doing a sport league so I look forward to it. Was able to convince two other bowlers from my center to come and try it with me so joining as a team. It's 13 weeks long and we're going to be bowling on the five original animal patterns and they will also be using one of the summer swing patterns as well. Two weeks per pattern and I believe the league votes on which one to use during position round. With my style I think I have a good chance of at least staying in the pocket, we'll see how my carry goes. I'm getting a brand a new ball drilled up (Radical Reax Pearl) with a layout to help me on some of these patterns so hoping that helps as well.

Also going to be bowling on Thursday nights in a house league. Hoping that PBAX helps me improve on my house average as well.

#187113 - 04/26/14 07:08 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Thinking of doing the same thing Svengali. I never bowled a sport league. I would like to see how I stack up against the other oil patterns. Looks like the Shark will be my biggest challenge. It will also be at a Brunswick house on Tuesday night.

#187116 - 04/26/14 08:37 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Just a tip to you guys bowling on PBA patterns. Use a spare ball.

It's tough lining up for a strike on the added oil. Then, it really gets complicated to line up for spares. Some shots you go OOB. Others, you cross a flood.

BTW, Scorpion is my fav pattern, followed by the shark. I hate the short shots.

At our Bruns House, the week's shot gets laid down for practice on Mon nite. That's when I shoot on them.

Edited by Dennis Michael (04/26/14 08:38 AM)

#187117 - 04/26/14 08:55 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
This summer, I plan to continue my Monday PBAX scratch trios league in the same bowling center, and add a Wednesday fun handicap league at a different nearby bowling center.

I expect the typical PBAX sport shot challenges. I just hope they don't have any lane conditioner/solvent experiments planned this summer (like last summer). The fun league shot is likely to be a 5 to 5 walled, top hat THS pattern, the kind that puts me in over-under hell, so that will have its own challenges, too.

If it works out, those will be my league nights in the fall, too. At the end of this winter league season, I decided to say goodbye to my former fun league bowling center whose management doesn't have a clue, doesn't listen, and doesn't care.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#187309 - 05/08/14 12:43 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
6_ball_man Offline
2X Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 60/m/downtown churchville
I am in a new league starting tonight @ Clover Lanes. Singles, 2 two game matches per week (switch lanes between), 14 weeks, USBC sport compliant (starts with Atlanta pattern), includes a practice card charged w/600 games, and steak roast banquet at the end. Prize money too. $20 per week. Generally I have averaged about 170 in tough shot leagues...:-(
Hammer Onyx Vibe (original)
Rotogrip Winner - box
Elite Gold Label
Storm Polar Ice - 4k+polish

equipment list too

#187352 - 05/12/14 10:28 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Started my summer PBA league tonight. We started with the 32' Wolf Pattern and I shot a rather disappointing 171, 184, 151 for 506. I actually liked this pattern a lot. I was expecting a lot of hook but for me it actually played similar to my house shot, except for the lack of help in the middle of the lane. I started with a weaker ball in practice but that wasn't working so I had to go to my strongest ball, my Radical Reax Pearl. This ball reacted great on this pattern. I rolled it straight up 10 and if I got it off my hand clean and I hit my target, it hit the pocket. Did leave a lot of 7 pins however, and two misses cost me from a 190 first game.

Second game I started with a double but a bad shot turned into a split, then an open in the 5th and 6th left me with just 88 after 6. Had a triple after that, but could manage just a 9/ and a 7 fill in the 10th.

3rd game was a disaster for me. The lanes started to change for me and I didn't pick up on it right away because I thought was making bad shots. I ended up making a ball change in the 9th and went strike, then spare+strike in the 10th to salvage the 151.

Disappointed in my spare shooting mostly, could have easily shot 570 or better. If I get it clean off my hand every shot, this is a pattern that I could easily shoot 600 or better. Had the left side of the lane to myself too, liked my look, and I hit my target most of the night. Just need to work on my spare shooting. Dennis is absolutely right about using a spare ball.

For those that are going to be bowling on Wolf, if you're on Brunswick lanes you probably won't need to worry about getting it out to the 1 board, at least not in the beginning. Nobody I was watching was playing the gutter, even the medium rev players (didn't see any crankers). If they got it outside of 5, it wasn't coming back to the pocket. Also, the heads are pretty soaked, so you probably want to start with at least a medium ball if not a strong ball. Also, don't miss inside.

Get to try Wolf again next week. The other patterns we'll be using in this league are TOC, Carmen Salvino, Chameleon, US Open, and Badger. Hoping to get better as we progress.

#187356 - 05/13/14 08:37 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: wronghander]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
this is a good post. it shows how a THS can make you sloppy and depend on shots that miss inside. It does that to me. the first time i played on a short pattern, the outside of the lanes were more 'familiar' than the inside of 12 board.

the reason being is that we are so used to the hold area in the middle of the lane that when we get on a short pattern it almost feels like a reverse block (no oil in the middle for those not familiar with a reverse block). so, to me the middle of the lane is what throws bowlers off so much on short flat or sport/challenge patterns.

i too used a fairly strong ball (NVS polished) on the Cheetah pattern in a scratch tournament i won last week. i only missed one easy spare (a 5-9) completely to the left because i ventured to try a shot from deep inside to see if i could throw a strike ball from in there but i then realized why so many elite bowlers loft the left gutter cap on short patterns.

i would have tried a shot like that except i was in no danger of being anything but high qualifier playing them like i did. I have not practiced a shot over the left gutter enough to just pull it out while i'm bowling an event. something i will have to definitely practice and become familiar with.

i will add that there was no miss room to the outside on Cheetah either. the gutter was playable but inconsistent.

it had been a year since i played Cheetah and it showed many 'familiar' characteristics from last year. the first game (last year) i ever shot on Cheetah after shooting only THS was 103, so, you can see being familiar with these Sport/Challenge patterns is a plus as was my experience going from a 103 to winning a tournament.

I'm sure a lot of things that apply to Cheetah apply on Wolf.

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#187378 - 05/17/14 06:27 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

First night of our head-to-head league was thurs. I drew a new bowler to the league, and all he told me was how good he was at the beginning. He specifically pointed to the 15 pins different in Cap. I was lower.

Well, he got humbled.

He took a good lead in game one, when I started with split/open and a missed 10 pin. He opened in the middle of the game. But, I finished with a 5 bagger to draw within 8 pins, plus cap for the win.

the second game was no contest, as he struggled and I rolled the same for a 40 pin win.

The third game was back and forth with neither of us stringing, until I started to in the 7th. Finished XXXXX9 to polish him off.

Three wins! He said, I was no 195 average (last year's). I thought, he was no 215 either. We'll meet up again.

My second set was against the wife of a local pro. She bowled on the pair next to me for the first set, and really had trouble. Well, she fixed her problem, and shellacked me for our 2 games, as I petered out late.

So, 7-5 on points, and 10.47 for extra pins for a 17.47 night.

A friend of mine shot well shooting 1236 or a 241 average, and winning all games for 12 points, plus 12.36 extra pins. that's a 24.36 night. I think that's a 4 year record for the league.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.