BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187400 - 05/19/14 11:02 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Appreciate the post RayRay. Hold was definitely something I overlooked when I started this league. I thought for the most part I was making quality shots, but now I am paying more attention to it when I am bowling on THS and I have noticed some errant shots that still held the pocket. Bowling in PBAX has already helped me on the house shot, had two personal best series after bowling on Wolf last Monday night (including one in the state tourney yesterday that I posted about in the tournament thread)

So anyway, did a little better on Wolf tonight: 156,217,168 for 541. First game I just didn't make good shots and I missed a couple of spares as well. Got lined up in the second game and started out with strike, 9/, then a triple, and a solid 7 where I thought I threw a really good shot. Didn't throw a double the rest of the game but covered my spares to finish with the 217.

3rd game I actually started out decent, alternating strikes & spares through 4, then tried to make an adjustment on the left lane where I hadn't been striking and ended up throwing my worst shot of the night, going 3 off the left. Could not make the spare, then the splits started coming. Made a late ball change again and managed a double in the 10th to salvage the 168.

So 174.5 average after 6 games which I guess isn't all that bad for someone who has never bowled on anything but a house shot. Next week we get the TOC pattern which I think will be a little more forgiving with more oil in the middle of the lane. They are putting the shot out on Saturday so I'll be able to get some practice on it.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187404 - 05/20/14 05:01 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
vdubtx Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 44/M/TX
Will be starting up a Sport Shot league June 3rd. Will be fun to see where we fall out on the Sport shots. Nationals next week should be a good indication of how I can do. smile

Equipment:
Roto Grip -
Haywire
Hyper Cell
Disturbed
Uproar
Roto Red Spare

Hammer -
First Blood

Storm -
Ride

Brunswick -
Nirvana

#187405 - 05/20/14 05:39 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I was rewarded by our Center by being asked to run and Coach the High School PBA League. It starts tonight. My focus is to train the kids in how to read the lanes, maintain or adjust to speed required, line them up on the best possible line for each pattern, and encourage them to learn, and NOT look at the scores.

This is a fun time as most of the kids really want to learn something they have never been taught. Taking them off the House shot and making them learn how to handle a Sport shot is a challenge. But, a rewarding one. As one of my bowlers last year, shot a 300 on the Chameleon Pattern in the League. He was a Junior and returns again this year before he goes off to College.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#187417 - 05/21/14 10:52 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
Tonight's bowling, frame-by-frame (Linked to BowlSK sheet)

If my "point of emphasis" this summer is to make better second-game adjustments, this wasn't a very good start. I also missed more than my share of spares, so I'm thinking the only place to go from here is up.

Result: 154-122-156=432
Average (3 games): 144
Next week's AVG+1 score: 438

Fortunately, my bad night was made up for by Lou and Jim, and we ended up splitting 4-4 (this is an eight point league).
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#187433 - 05/22/14 11:59 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Second night of Peterson match point league. I was 7th of 18 after the first week. Tonights match games and results:

Gm 1 - 241 W, beat 8th in position game
Gm 2 - 208 W
Gm 3 - 182 L, L 2 gm series too
Gm 4 - 203 W
Gm 5 - 230 W, W 2 gm series

So, 9 match points of 12 and 11.60 peterson points for (1065 series, + 95 cap = 1160 divided by 100). Total of 21.60 on the night. Good night overall.

Edited by Dennis Michael (05/23/14 12:00 AM)

#187434 - 05/23/14 12:04 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

257, 205, and 160 to open up my house shot league. Lanes were great in game one, striking almost at will except for a double wood leave in the 5th and a 10 pin in the 10th. Game two the lanes started changing for me, and I had my first open of the night, but a late triple allowed me to break 200.

Game 3 was a disaster. In the first 5 frames I had exactly one mark (a spare). Missed two 7 pins, had a pocket 8-10, followed by a missed 6 pin. This was the first time I was using a plastic ball in this center for my spares, not sure if that was contributing to this or if I wasn't lined up correctly. Not sure. I did go back to using a reactive ball for my right side spares and kept it clean the rest of the way. Salvaged a late double for the 160.

Disappointed with the 160 but 622 isn't so bad I guess. Gotta shake it off in any case, big weekend coming up. I have practice on the TOC pattern Saturday, tournament Sunday, and back to PBAX on Monday. Next Thursday's house league should be a breeze after that.

#187446 - 05/25/14 08:45 AM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Well I signed up for the PBA Experience League for the summer along with my normal league.

#187454 - 05/25/14 11:37 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

I believe our PBA Experience has run its course. Participation has dropped annually to now only 4 teams of adults and 4 of Juniors.

At the same time, other houses are running Sport leagues with much bigger participation all year round. The Kegel, National and International patterns are the draw.

#187460 - 05/26/14 11:12 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Dennis Michael]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

Surprised to hear that WTBA and Kegel patterns are more popular than the PBAX ones. I wonder if it's just that the centers that offer those are doing a better job at promoting it, or if it's something else.

As far as my PBA experience went tonight, had 216, 156, and 177 for 549 on the 39' Tournament of Champions pattern. I practiced on it Saturday and had a hard time getting to the pocket so I decided to take my Sure Thing down to 360 grit and carve a spot for myself. Once again, I was the only lefty. There's actually only 1 other lefty among the 28 other bowlers in the league, so I'll be alone on that side of the lane most weeks.

My intent was to carve a spot just left of where I wanted to play (around the first arrow) and then take my Reax Pearl for game 1. Seemed to work wonders in that first game, had a mid game triple and just one open when I went high and left a 4,7,10 split. However had issues in game 2 with my ball not finishing and I interpreted this as my speed being too fast and thought it might have been carrydown as well with all of the spare balls going down that side of the lane, but thought about it some more on the drive home and I really believe it was head depletion. Only one strike in the 2nd game and 3 missed spares cost me dearly.

I did end up moving in during the 3rd game and basically played just inside of 2nd arrow. I figured at that point if my strongest ball wasn't going to hook much I may as well go more direct and not give the pocket away. I had a late double and chance at a 200 game but a 3,5 leave in the 9th that I chopped cost me any chance of that.

So averaging 177 after 9 games, which could have easily been 190 with better spare shooting and 200 with that plus better adjustments off my strike shots. Could be a lot worse though, so I'm not discouraged. I don't think TOC is really that hard of a pattern. I expect to do better on it next week. Going to devote my practice session this week to spare shooting.

#187461 - 05/26/14 11:38 PM Re: Summer Leagues 2014 thread [Re: Richie V.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

svengali, I believe there is only 1 house that runs a PBA League, a Brunswick House. All of the others, 4 within reasonable distance, run the other Sport shots with success.

I have heard many comments from our Junior bowlers that when they get to College, they will be bowling on the other patterns, not the PBA patterns. And, many juniors, and their families bowl on them regularly.

The Brunswick house only has a PBA league over the Summer. While, the other houses, as I said, have Sport Leagues all year round. And, they are filled with waiting lists in some.

My opinion is that the bowlers at the Brunswick House are enamored by the weak oil laid down and the easier shot caters to higher scores. These bowlers look for higher scores and not the challenge. I've bowled in the other houses, and bowlers there look for the challenge. They run scratch leagues and weekly scratch tournaments. They are attracting the REAL bowlers.

Hence, they are growing, while the PBA League is faltering. A common phrase I've heard from bowlers there is that the PBA shot ruins their game, and they can't score. Shouldn't be the case. But, it is what it is.

One other house lays down the Kegel Dead Man's Curve shot (roughly the Shark equivalent) as their normal Friday nite league shot. Another has the USA patterns all year round, alternating every 2 weeks. A third posts the shot of the day on the wall.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 40 seconds ago
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.