BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187085 - 04/24/14 08:42 AM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Don't forget about the House Fees in the regionals.

What do you mean by House Fees? I am just not sure what you mean thats all.

As far as lineage, the house has to donate lineage for the event if they want an event at their location, that is one of the stipulations to taking in the PBA.

Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
To sk8shorty01, I read you hail from (and most recently bowled in a Regional event in) Merritt Island down in Florida. In the late 1980s, the PBA National Tour held the Bowlers' Journal Florida Open at Shore Lanes for a few years, Brian Voss won there in 1989 and Robert Lawrence won his first Tour title there in 1990, both Finals were televised on ABC, was that Regional event you bowled at Shore Lanes, and if not, does that bowling center still exist, I was just wondering.
Thanks, and let's all hope the PBA goes by the way of the NHL the previous post mentions instead of going by the way of the buffalo, we all both as bowlers and bowling fans can agree that we don't want to see the latter happen to the Tour.
Ray Jackson

Yes the last Regional PBA Event I bowled was at Shore Lanes in Merritt Island. The center is still doing very well (two leagues actually fill the entire house, 40 teams each league). Shore Lanes is my home center.

If you would like to see what it looks like now you can see it in my YouTube videos.

http://youtu.be/GFhdo1SCF5o
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187088 - 04/24/14 11:30 AM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I did mean lineage sk8, I wasn't aware it was "donated".

As for the PBA and budgets, I found this link.

http://www.mrbowling300.net/post/pba-bud...678739?trail=15

I've now been to both Shore Lanes locations, Palm Bay and Merritt Island. Since it's new, the Merritt Island location is pretty sweet. We'll be there next month Sk8, hopefully equipped and ready wink

Edited by SteveH (04/24/14 11:31 AM)

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#187089 - 04/24/14 01:46 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: SteveH]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveH
I did mean lineage sk8, I wasn't aware it was "donated".
As for the PBA and budgets, I found this link.
http://www.mrbowling300.net/post/pba-bud...678739?trail=15
I've now been to both Shore Lanes locations, Palm Bay and Merritt Island. Since it's new, the Merritt Island location is pretty sweet. We'll be there next month Sk8, hopefully equipped and ready wink

Yeah most of the tournament host centers make their money back (that they lose from lineage) on the food and bar profits.

Hosting a PBA Event is not cheap for sure.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#187091 - 04/24/14 07:17 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

It explains why it's where it is now, and how perilous some of the existing events are. The PBA League bowlers are on salary for now, no prize money.

Just not enough revenue to get all of these things done.

Quote:
A key edict Clark had to meet was providing enough competition to fill the 36 hours of ESPN time for 2014.

Ultimately, the changes that were adopted included eliminating the Indianapolis competition that included the Tournament of Champions and PBA League Elias Cup Finals and moving the TOC to the already scheduled Detroit competition in January, and the Elias Cup Finals to North Brunswick, N.J. the night of Sunday, Feb 23, the TV finals date of the USBC Masters.

“That saved us a couple hundred thousand dollars in production expenses” for the Indianapolis competition, Clark said.

The moves led to the Xtra Frame event scheduled for Detroit being canceled, with the TOC essentially replacing it.

In addition, PBA League prize money was eliminated, though Clark said there technically still is time to raise revenue to cover it. PBA League players still will get their salaries.

The USBC Masters, which is a USBC event, in New Jersey Feb. 17-23 is not impacted by the cuts.

Clark said the PBA50 Tour and Regional program also will not be impacted by the cuts. (The PBA50 schedule will be released as soon as contracts for all the events come in, PBA50 Tour manager John Weber said this week.)

The fate of the Summer Swing, which is tied to a CBS Sports Network contract that has two years left on it, appears to be up in the air — Clark said there still is time to sell it, but that implies that if revenue can’t be raised for it then it could be cut.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#187165 - 04/29/14 01:31 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Quote:
In a perfect world, I would think the best of the best bowlers of all time competing against each other should make the evening news!

Note: It's possible "The Villages" PBA50 field was the toughest championship group in PBA history. For more info, click here.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#187225 - 05/02/14 02:11 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

Despite the ongoing love-hate relationship some people have with Jason Belmonte, I can't think of a more visible promoter of both the sport of bowling, or himself. He's done a great job using social media, as well as traversing three continents. As a younger guy, his own performances and the way he comes across have been enormous benefits to the sport, and the PBA.

Whenever I bring up the subject to other bowlers, his current name recognition is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else, PDW is probably second. As is the case in every sport, you have marketers and you have players. You have John Daley's in golf, and then you have a more polished star in Belmo.

What I like about him is that not only does he pop up in venues such as local leagues, promotional "fun" outings, but in the grudge match against Sean Rash. He's both creative and cleverly funny. He's also desperately needed in a sport that has such dynamic personalities as Walter Raye Williams Jr. and Norm Duke.

If anyone on earth was going to be used for promotional purposes, it would and should be Belmo. People are actively involved in his informative FB page, an he's actually far more diverse outside of the bowling world.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#187226 - 05/02/14 02:18 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline

I honestly think Belmo could be the Tiger Woods of bowling. I think he has the talent, winning attitude, and personality (something Tiger didn't show often) to make it happen.

He could be the thing that saves bowling at the professional level just as Tiger did for golf. At the time Tiger came up there was very little recognition among casual sports fans for golf and the prize funds weren't real high. Tiger brought sponsorship revenue and viewership wherever he went and I think Belmo is slowly becoming that way as well.

Of course you just can't have a good personality, you have to win and do it often and that is something Belmonte has been doing frequently here lately.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#187228 - 05/02/14 03:42 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: sk8shorty01]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Even though I am not a Belmo fan, I do agree that if anyone on tour could save the tour, it is him. With that said, I don't feel that any one bowler could get the PBA out of its current hole. The PBA has been on the decline for way too long and although Tiger did infuse a bunch of money, sponsors, and fans into the PGA, the PGA was in way better shape than the PBA even before Tiger showed up. The 1990 PGA championship had a total purse of 1.35 million with $225,000 to the winner. The 1990 Firestone TOC had a total purse of $250,000 and a top prize of $50,000. I'm not sure if golf's rise with Tiger is the best comparison for the PBA. The problems are too big to be fixed by one star.

Mark

#187229 - 05/02/14 03:59 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I agree that Belmo is as close to this sport's Tiger Woods as we have, and in many ways, he's doing more for bowling than Tiger has done for golf. It hasn't had quite the same impact on bowling yet, at least in the states, but it's not for a lack of trying. He's become our sport's greatest current ambassador, and he's doing everything in his power to keep bowling relevant.
You know what Tiger did for golf? He won, and he spoke eloquently in interviews. He's an intelligent, well-spoken young man who happened to be the greatest golfer we may have ever seen, but frankly, he did little more than exude confidence and excellence on the course. Did he work to promote the game of golf through youth clinics and coaching sessions, or made for TV grudge matches, or much of anything else for that matter? Not really. He cashed huge endorsement checks from Nike, Buick, Tag Heuer, and EA Sports, as well as other sponsors, so his face was everywhere, but most of that was done for him, not by him.
If the PBA chooses to develop the international game as much as golf has, it has a chance. Trying to depend on American audiences to keep the tour afloat will fail miserably. As I've mentioned earlier, Americans have so many more choices today than they did 40 years ago. I discovered that about 100,000 Americans played soccer in the late 1960s. By 1984, that number had grown to 4,000,000, and you cannot tell me that at least 1,000,000 of those soccer players, who were a little smaller than their football and basketball playing peers (think Norm Duke/PDW/Amleto/Dave Ferraro/Parker Bohn sized guys) were destined to be bowlers, but Mom and Dad dropped them off at the soccer field on a Saturday morning instead of the bowling center.
The reason soccer is so big in most countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America is that they don't have the choices we have here. The marathon runners from Kenya who grow up running from point A to point B (many of them barefoot, I might add) do so out of necessity. None of them run to the country club with their golf clubs and tennis racquets on their backs.

Bowl up a Storm!

#187234 - 05/03/14 01:10 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

Outside of the obvious, what Tiger did for the PGA was to showcase a handsome, athletically fit young guy who won right out of the blocks. He had no beer belly, he was likable, and spoke with confidence. He was also heavily marketed and "managed", and quite professionally I might add.

While nobody's ever made a huge deal out of it, except maybe Gary Player, the PGA was filled with great golfers, about 2/3rds of which looked like they had several refrigerators in their homes and frequent eater miles at fast food franchises. But they were still great golfers. To be fair, golf was in the stages of being overbuilt as he entered the Tour.

Nobody writes much about it, but even as Tiger was making the PGA ratings jump higher, golf in general was in decline. Tiger didn't bring back the sport of golf, he brought ratings success and $$$ to the PGA and the networks. Working people had long become tired of long tee time waits, rising prices, and lengthy games. Tiger did contribute to the Youth goals of the PGA, things like First Tee and so on.

Getting back to bowling. There were organizational failures, declining numbers of bowling centers, and a complete failure (IMO), of bowling proprietors that recognized the socio-demographic and cultural changes going on. Far more competition for people's money, very little marketing of the sport, and rustic old bowling centers where the only thing missing from the "Old Days" was the smoke. I'm extremely new to this sport, but I can recognize some of the old scoring equipment from the '70's and 80's, the carpet that looked like it was borrowed from the set of "The Hustler", and the steady and quite noticeable deterioration of the buildings themselves.

Up until circa 2008, I had probably bowled perhaps 1-2 games of Ten Pin in my entire life. For over 8 years, I actually drove by a bowling center (now closed) every weekday. Not sure why, but never once did the thought of entering ever cross my mind. I knew nothing of the PBA, Cosmic Bowling, nor did I know anyone that bowled. I knew absolutely Zero about bowling, and never heard anything about it either. But years ago, I do remember watching the likes of [censored] Weber and Earl Anthony on TV.

Hey, this has gotten far longer than anyone cares to read, which is typical of me and a keyboard on a boring day wink

Suffice it to say that more publicity and more exciting people like a Sean Rash, Pete Weber, Jason Belmonte will work wonders for the sport. People that look like they could do other sports. They speak well, articulate their thoughts well, and they're exciting to watch when they play. I disagree with aspects of the WWF analogies, bowling doesn't need to become a circus, unless that's the only way. If it does, you probably would lose the likes of the newer guys coming into bowling.

The Leagues are entertaining, and far easier to promote. They do need tweaks here and there, but they have team owners, pay salaries, and could well be the future model if successful.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.