BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187055 - 04/22/14 10:03 PM What the PBA needs to do to still exist
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
1) Get High 5 Gear either its own sponsored segment (like the "Hammer Tough Spare Replay" they have for great split conversions, etc.) or have it buy its own commercial/rotational ad signage space to promote its exciting and awesome lineup of custom-built apparel (including both its replica PBA player and PBA League jerseys and its new Chromacolor pants), and also get out to the beverage industry and get Bud Light and Pepsi back on board or even get the folks at Ice-Watch (www.ice-watch.com) to advertise its colorful lineup of fashion (and expensive) watches with a segment called the Ice-Watch "Change Of The Match" (involving a key technical ball/line change that wins a match or title) their company slogan currently is "Change. You Can", also, do better than cramming the many "As Seen On TV" ads down our throats for the other TV commercial space, heck, even CindyMargolis.com would do men in the 18-49 demographic (the prime one for Nielsen for sports on TV) much better than the Ye Olde Brooklyn Lantern or the Pocket Hose will do them right about now.

The Ice-Watch commercial, a 15-second one for its Ice-Forever collection, one of its many different lineups, from its massive international market, can be seen right here:

2) Cancel its lame, futile contract with ESPN and get on a legitimate other cable network with heavy TV provider carriage such as FOX Sports 1 (and have Erin Andrews be laneside interviewer, huge ratings booster right there!!!) or NBCSN (with Rebecca Lowe, the current Premier League Football hottie!!!) and retain the terrific and bowling-knowledgeable tandem of both Mike Jakubowski (the best PBP man the PBA has had since Denny Schreiner and the late great Chris Schenkel last graced us in the 90s) and Randy Pedersen, the best and most up-to-date and era-correct color analyst we've had since Bo Burton retired (all apologies to Marshall Holman, Mike Durbin and the late great Earl Anthony although they were great too they were just not tech-savvy/21st Century-ready enough).

3) Get off that (and avoid at any cost) horrible time slot coinciding with the NFL/NBA/NCAA/NASCAR juggernaut on Sunday Morning/afternoons and have our telecasts air LIVE on TV (at least on basic cable if not the Big 4 Networks) instead of this taped-in-advance garbage that they are doing now, there is too much room going that route for spoilers from Xtra Frame viewers and others putting up spoilers on sites like this one and others, as well as a backlash from those (like me) who won't wait 'til they air on TV this time around (I plan of getting Xtra Frame when I move to a rental house (since my late mother's trust fund no longer can keep us at the house they currently own and now have to sell) early this coming month.

4) Invite celebrities who are just-as bowling savvy like Kevin Hart, Chris Hardwick (of my PBA league Champion Silver Lake Atom Splitters!!!), and of course Chris Paul to join the crew in the booth and also invite PBA legends like Johnny Petraglia (I enjoy hearing him critique player shots during a telecast) or for old-school sake good-ol' Bo Burton (I just love it how he calls Belmo's powerful strike ball a "Big-Train" and indeed it is!) or even Marshall Holman recalling his great moments and insight on today's game.

Any other ideas guys? I've come up with mine, how about some others.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#187056 - 04/22/14 10:24 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
I can understand wanting to see the PBA go to another network but in all honesty they need to stay on ESPN. More people watch ESPN than any other sports network. If you go to a sports bar they almost always have ESPN on by default. Less likely they have FS1 or NBCSN on the tube. Even with Erin Andrews FS1 has yet to really gain any ground on ESPN. They need the viewers ESPN brings in to have any chance of attracting sponsors.

I will say that the PBA is going in the right direction by visiting some new places that may not be major cities but that are excited to host and will give the PBA plenty of coverage in the local media. I really think the stop in Maine next winter is going to do wonders.

#187057 - 04/22/14 10:27 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
1) Get High 5 Gear either its own sponsored segment (like the "Hammer Tough Spare Replay" they have for great split conversions, etc.) or have it buy its own commercial/rotational ad signage space to promote its exciting and awesome lineup of custom-built apparel (including both its replica PBA player and PBA League jerseys and its new Chromacolor pants), and also get out to the beverage industry and get Bud Light and Pepsi back on board or even get the folks at Ice-Watch (www.ice-watch.com) to advertise its colorful lineup of fashion (and expensive) watches with a segment called the Ice-Watch "Change Of The Match" (involving a key technical ball/line change that wins a match or title) their company slogan currently is "Change. You Can", also, do better than cramming the many "As Seen On TV" ads down our throats for the other TV commercial space, heck, even CindyMargolis.com would do men in the 18-49 demographic (the prime one for Nielsen for sports on TV) much better than the Ye Olde Brooklyn Lantern or the Pocket Hose will do them right about now.

The Ice-Watch commercial, a 15-second one for its Ice-Forever collection, one of its many different lineups, from its massive international market, can be seen right here:

2) Cancel its lame, futile contract with ESPN and get on a legitimate other cable network with heavy TV provider carriage such as FOX Sports 1 (and have Erin Andrews be laneside interviewer, huge ratings booster right there!!!) or NBCSN (with Rebecca Lowe, the current Premier League Football hottie!!!) and retain the terrific and bowling-knowledgeable tandem of both Mike Jakubowski (the best PBP man the PBA has had since Denny Schreiner and the late great Chris Schenkel last graced us in the 90s) and Randy Pedersen, the best and most up-to-date and era-correct color analyst we've had since Bo Burton retired (all apologies to Marshall Holman, Mike Durbin and the late great Earl Anthony although they were great too they were just not tech-savvy/21st Century-ready enough).

3) Get off that (and avoid at any cost) horrible time slot coinciding with the NFL/NBA/NCAA/NASCAR juggernaut on Sunday Morning/afternoons and have our telecasts air LIVE on TV (at least on basic cable if not the Big 4 Networks) instead of this taped-in-advance garbage that they are doing now, there is too much room going that route for spoilers from Xtra Frame viewers and others putting up spoilers on sites like this one and others, as well as a backlash from those (like me) who won't wait 'til they air on TV this time around (I plan of getting Xtra Frame when I move to a rental house (since my late mother's trust fund no longer can keep us at the house they currently own and now have to sell) early this coming month.

4) Invite celebrities who are just-as bowling savvy like Kevin Hart, Chris Hardwick (of my PBA league Champion Silver Lake Atom Splitters!!!), and of course Chris Paul to join the crew in the booth and also invite PBA legends like Johnny Petraglia (I enjoy hearing him critique player shots during a telecast) or for old-school sake good-ol' Bo Burton (I just love it how he calls Belmo's powerful strike ball a "Big-Train" and indeed it is!) or even Marshall Holman recalling his great moments and insight on today's game.

Any other ideas guys? I've come up with mine, how about some others.

Listen to any Tim Clark interview on the subject and he welcomes any and all sponsors who are interested in sponsoring the PBA. They are not turning away sponsors in favor of As Seen on TV stuff, that is the only sponsor that they can get. Of course they want Bud, Pepsi, or any other major brand on board, there is just no interest from those brands.

ESPN owns part of the PBA, hence they have a say on where the PBA can go and when it will air. Remember the PBA pays ESPN to broadcast not the other way around, and as such it can't afford a better slot, unless you want "live shows" to air late at night.

Lane side reporters cost money, the PBA can not afford Erin Andrews nor would she even consider it. Erin Andrews makes more hosting Dancing with the Stars then all the PBA bowlers make in a year combined.

They tried the celebrity thing in the past and will continue to do so, the problem with a lot of celebrities is that they know nothing about bowling and intentionally/unintentionally end up mocking the game or the bowlers. The Bill Simmons show was embarrassing, Michael Wilbon wasn't bad.

To me the PBA, USBC, and BPAA need to unite and market bowling as a collective group on all levels. It will take a decade + to bring bowling back as you have to drum up interest at the youth level, wait until they grow up, and hope they are still interested in bowling.

There is no short term answer or quick fix, it took decades to put bowling in this hole, it can not be fixed overnight.

#187058 - 04/22/14 11:22 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: B-Hammer]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

I agree about and remember the Bill Simmons one, the comments he made about Randy Pedersen losing to Ernie Schlegel when he left that stone-8 in the 1995 TPC was inappropriate, Randy has been trying to forget about that one for years, and also the other one he made when a player was blowing air in the thumbhole (for a better grip) was a bit over the top for me, a guy-somewhat-celeb like me (as "The Heavy Metal Warrior" from 1994-2002 with my old hardcore/metal band S.M.F., in one of my two musician roles, the current one I've done since 2004, is as "AK47" doing old-skool 1980s-inspired gangsta rap) who actually does bowl and can provide perspective from that of a league player who is also a fan of the PBA and has great respect for the touring players and what they go through (and at one time had aspirations of being one years ago like my old bowling idol Brian Voss) that is much better and certainly more knowledgeable than that of a moron like Bill Simmons who indeed was acting like one in that telecast, I agree.

www.BIGHMW.com

#187059 - 04/23/14 12:33 AM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

(Taken from my website, BIGHMW.com, and my "Q & A" page on it):

http://www.bighmw.com/site/page/qa

Question 8:

Q: Future plans after the music business is all said and done?

A: Well, at one time I wanted to become a professional bowler (PBA member), and maybe become a PBA Tour champion like my bowling idol, 1988 PBA Player Of The Year and PBA Hall Of Famer (inducted in 1994), Brian Voss.

When I first met my common-law wife, Alice Yantz at the now-defunct Key City Lanes back in 1989, she was bowling in a mixed league, and I had been a long-time viewer of the legendary ABC Sports’ Professional Bowlers Tour series with the late Chris Schenkel and Nelson (Bo) Burton, Jr., since the mid-1970s.

My late grandmother, at my insistence, got me my first ball back in 1989, an Ebonite Thunderbolt, and I have been a huge student of this great sport since, and in all of the years that I have watched those shows, back then on ABC, and now on ESPN, I still haven’t yet found another bowler with a better, more classic form, solid release, mental toughness, and, the physical strength to overpower a tough lane condition (if necessary) than that of Brian Voss.

I am also currently in the process of learning more about the newer, more powerful bowling balls, the latest equipment, speed control, hand action, and how to hook the ball more so I can become a more versatile player so that I can play different shots on different lane conditions, no matter what the oil pattern or lane surface is. Plus, Brian Voss also cross-trained by weightlifting and also running, which is so important for the long, constant grind of the PBA Tour.

It’s just like Nelson Burton, Jr. once said on ABC a few years back, “…how many miles can YOU walk with 16 pounds in your hand???” It is all about endurance, as well as of course, winning, especially when you bowl for a living like they do on Tour.

Obviously I know more about our great sport than a moron like Bill Simmons ever could, that question and its answer on my website are definitive of that.

www.BIGHMW.com

#187065 - 04/23/14 09:06 AM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree that this is something that is a long road to fix and hopefully the road gets a little easier as we go.

One of the other major issues with the PBA (which nobody really notices) is the fact that the Regional Tour supports a huge portion of the National Tour (financially) which is backwards of every other sport.

Look at the payouts for any Regional Event and total up the difference in money paid in and how much the prize fund pays out. Rarely are they close.

For instance, in the last Regional I bowled (Merritt Island in the South Region) there was a minimum of $16,000 paid for entry fees if every single person was a member (which isn't the case). There was also $5000 donated into the event by the bowling center and another $5000 donated by local businesses. So in total there was $26,000 brought in by the PBA that weekend for the South Region alone. The total prize fund was $15,000 so it seems pretty obvious that there is a ton of money going somewhere. That somewhere is the National Tour I am sure.

I think if the Regional Tour's struggle the National Tour will fall apart, they are the only thing making any money at all right now.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#187073 - 04/23/14 07:04 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
With several of bowling's all time greats crossing over to the 50 and over division, I would expect the PBA50 tour to be doing better, but prize money is lacking there, too. Look at the names you would have to beat to win the top 5 prizes in the recent PBA50 United Healthcare Sun Bowl In The Villages:

1. Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., $9,000
2. Tom Baker, King, N.C., $4,500
3. Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., $3,000
4. Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., $2,500
5. Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., $2,000
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#187077 - 04/23/14 11:08 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Don't forget about the House Fees in the regionals.

As far as prize money? Who watched the PBA 50? Anyone that follows hockey knows they salaries were extremely low until the NHL finally decided to play by the rules, and give TV a chance to like them.

It's all about advertising and promotion, it has nothing to do with talent, name recognition. The PBA needs to follow the NHL for promotion. It was a decrepit league in a sport only known to most northern states. They made the best of it. During the Lockout, they realized that Poker was more popular than the NHL. They adjusted.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#187078 - 04/23/14 11:45 PM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: sk8shorty01]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

To sk8shorty01, I read you hail from (and most recently bowled in a Regional event in) Merritt Island down in Florida. In the late 1980s, the PBA National Tour held the Bowlers' Journal Florida Open at Shore Lanes for a few years, Brian Voss won there in 1989 and Robert Lawrence won his first Tour title there in 1990, both Finals were televised on ABC, was that Regional event you bowled at Shore Lanes, and if not, does that bowling center still exist, I was just wondering.

Thanks, and let's all hope the PBA goes by the way of the NHL the previous post mentions instead of going by the way of the buffalo, we all both as bowlers and bowling fans can agree that we don't want to see the latter happen to the Tour.

Ray Jackson

www.BIGHMW.com

#187083 - 04/24/14 05:41 AM Re: What the PBA needs to do to still exist [Re: SteveH]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Quote:
It's all about advertising and promotion, it has nothing to do with talent, name recognition.

Talent and name recognition do factor into building a fan base. Without fans regularly watching and spending money, no advertising/promotion campaign will be successful. Who would watch if it was always random bowler A competing against random bowler B? In a perfect world, I would think the best of the best bowlers of all time competing against each other should make the evening news! We are in the middle of a golden era for the PBA50 tour. It seems like an unleveraged asset to me.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 14 minutes 20 seconds ago
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.