BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186985 - 04/20/14 05:13 PM Approach issue-my shoes or my head??
Edy13 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 40+/M/Ohio
I noticed that I am very self conscious with my feet / shoes. I have a pair of Rios that are universal and I constantly feel uneasy and unsure when on the approach- it just feels too 'slippery' to me and I can't seem to get into a stride let alone a comfortable and secure slide at the release. I am wondering if this is normal and it just takes repetition to 'trust' my shoes or if I should look at new shoes with a traction pad / sole to give me a sense of security and more traction. Do the shoes designed for a specific hand make that much of a difference?

I appreciate your insight and suggestions. I am brand new at the sport and it is obvious that it is becoming a major issue in getting better. I'm just not sure if it is the shoes or me.

Thanks.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186986 - 04/20/14 05:31 PM Re: Approach issue-my shoes or my head?? [Re: Edy13]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Yes, the shoes with a traction sole on your non-slid foot makes a big difference. After a few games using them you won't want to use the universals again. Now your slide foot can still slip.

Now without video of you bowling I don't know if what I'm going to say is true or not. It can also be you. If you are nearly running to the line. I know there are times when I rush my approach I feel my slid foot slipping and I have to remind my self to slow down.
HS:763

#186993 - 04/20/14 08:10 PM Re: Approach issue-my shoes or my head?? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Edy13 Offline
Bantam

"Now without video of you bowling I don't know if what I'm going to say is true or not. It can also be you. If you are nearly running to the line. I know there are times when I rush my approach I feel my slid foot slipping and I have to remind my self to slow down."
I'm really slow at the approach, even when I try to do the one step drill I am feeling 'slippery' and it falls apart quick.
Thanks for the assistance...

#186994 - 04/20/14 08:42 PM Re: Approach issue-my shoes or my head?? [Re: Edy13]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
If you are having issues even in the one step drill with slipping, then yes it's the shoes. I do believe they make a traction sock for the non-slide foot now. It is similar to a slide sock if you've ever seen one. It slips over the front of the shoe and is help on by an elastic band that goes around the back of the shoe. It's a cheaper alternative than buying a whole new pair of shoes.
HS:763

#186999 - 04/21/14 01:22 AM Re: Approach issue-my shoes or my head?? [Re: Edy13]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
Originally Posted By: Edy13
"there are times when I rush my approach I feel my slid foot slipping and I have to remind my self to slow down."
I'm really slow at the approach, even when I try to do the one step drill I am feeling 'slippery' and it falls apart quick.
Thanks for the assistance...

what kind of shoes are those? I like slippery shoes and am curious if it is your shoes or not.

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#187044 - 04/22/14 12:23 PM Re: Approach issue-my shoes or my head?? [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Edy13 Offline
Bantam

The shoes I am using now are Rio Circle, Universal soles. They look nice and seem to be well made, just aren't making me feel secure.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 12:15 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.