BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186791 - 04/13/14 08:41 PM Approach Advice
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Hello all,

I have been working quite a bit lately to iron out a few wrinkles in my game so thought I would look for some advice on here as well.

What do you all feel needs to be addressed?

NOTE: Sorry side view cuts off my set up, there was league running and I couldn't put the camera far enough away.

VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186802 - 04/14/14 08:18 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Sk8, your mechanics are obviously sound. What I see missing is the intangible aggressiveness, the "give it all you got" displayed by top athletes and bowlers. Watch Martin Larsen, who has a similar style as yours, in the following video and look for the confidence and aggressiveness in his release and follow through. That's the little extra that trips 4's, topples 10's, sends messengers across the pin deck, and wins tournaments.

Obviously, you still want to be able to repeat shots. One way to break through is to set aside regular practice sessions where you throw every ball your maximum speed and rotation while still trying to maintain your form, balance, control, and accuracy. Soon, that confidence and aggressiveness will be a regular part of your delivery. Note that the winning-est, if not the best bowler of all time, Walter Ray Williams, Jr., has often said that he puts everything into every shot.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186804 - 04/14/14 09:02 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Joe, do you feel that I am not accelerating through the release strong enough?

I definitely accelerate but I try to do it without allowing my trail leg to lift off the ground because I want to be as steady as possible at the foul line.

Just curious what you thought?
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#186806 - 04/14/14 09:28 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

On the plus side, it looks like you could repeat the same shot all day long. On the minus side, it looks like only about 80% of your potential speed and power.

#186813 - 04/14/14 04:22 PM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
Joe, good eye on the comparison. I would slow down the 1st step or start the pushaway on the 1st step also I couldn't put my finger on it until I slowed the video down. It looks like you can't accelerate enough because your balance arm is stopping you.

Matin's balance arm starts to go back as soon as the down swing starts.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#186868 - 04/16/14 07:16 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

Counting the approximate number of seconds from foul line to headpin, I noticed the following:

Sk8 - 4 seconds = 10.227 MPH
Martin Larsen - 3 seconds = 13.636 MPH

The MPH numbers seem lower than expected for both, but the important thing to note is the difference between the two. 4 seconds seems more typical for league bowlers. 3 seconds (or less) seems more appropriate for aspiring pros.

I just wanted to offer my observation. I will leave it up to you and the coaches to determine whether that's important, and if so, what to work on to speed up your approach and delivery. If you were a teammate, I would say give it some "Oomph!" To make it a regular part of your release, maybe faster overall foot speed? Higher backswing? Open and close shoulders for more torque? Quicker acceleration through the ball? Just some ideas to consider...

#186876 - 04/16/14 11:14 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

I get 3 seconds for myself, maybe slightly less.

At release the time stamp is already into the :04 second mark (in between :04 and :05) and the ball hits the pins pretty much dead on the point where the clock ticks over to :07 seconds.

Going off roughly 2.75 seconds that puts me right at 15 mph which seems about right.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#186879 - 04/16/14 11:45 AM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
When I time Sk8's ball on a stop watch, I'm getting an average of 2.70 seconds compared to Martin Larsen, who I get 2.15 seconds. I agree that the ball speed seems on the slow side for a player of Sk8's caliber. Most top level amateurs are well under 2.50 seconds, and most touring pros are under 2.20.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#186882 - 04/16/14 12:07 PM Re: Approach Advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

Sorry guys, I was counting in my head. I guess my internal clock speed is running fast, hehe. Fortunately, I just found a free stopwatch app on CNET that is more accurate. Geez, a second takes that long! sleep

I agree with Champ's numbers and assessment. Fractions of seconds aside, the goal is simply to be more competitive at the professional level. Ball speed is not everything, but it helps increase carry percentage, and reduce the frequency and magnitude of required transitions.

#186883 - 04/16/14 12:24 PM Re: Approach Advice [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Ball speed is tricky. We have a young righty in our scratch league, his ball speed registers an average of about 20mph at the monitors (mine varies between 15-17 depending on what I'm doing). I can roll it that fast but not with any hand to speak of, this guy is matched- rolling that fast he still covers as many or more boards than I do. It's an intimidating strike ball. He also recently set our association record at 890... I think he left a ringing ten on his first ball of the series, spared it and went off the sheet for the other two games.

Viewing your videos Sk8, I feel like you generally play left of where I usually find myself. Obviously different lanes, who knows where we would end up on the same condition, but I wouldn't be surprised if your being more rev-speed matched and having less tilt and rotation had something to do with it... I don't think we're too far off on rev rate. There is definitely room for your backswing to get higher and pick up more ball speed without a lot of extra muscle, I'm just not sure if that would be a good thing or not (I'm not saying it would or wouldn't, I really don't know).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by looseleftie - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Bowled a few games at South Point in Las Vegas
by goobee - 09/03/20 04:38 PM
Roto-Grip Rubicon Video Ball Review
by sk8shorty01 - 08/25/20 05:50 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.