BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186676 - 04/09/14 03:06 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? ***** [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Oh, sorry Joe, I guess I am not just getting it.

So you are saying your expectation for the way I throw the ball should be to throw it straight up somewhere between 1 and 10?

Or fade it out to that area?

Not to play in the area I did last night.

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Hammer Black Widow Urethane
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186678 - 04/09/14 03:32 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
mmalsed Online   content
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
I think he's meaning, more power to you in finding the line that works. It SEEMS counter to what the conventional wisdom is, but that's one of the fun things about bowling. . . ya does what works, not what everyone else thinks should work. smile

Congrats to you on observing, staying flexible (in mind) and unfrustrated, and working through the hurdles placed in front of you. Kudos and applause!

And congrats on finding a quality house! smile

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#186681 - 04/09/14 04:13 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: mmalsed]
nord Offline

Ok, thanks.

I just want to make sure I am not doing anything obviously wrong.

For house shots what I have learned from Poway and now from Kearny when it is dry is this:

If I try to play up the dry area, (1-10) the ball just crosses over.

If I swing out to the dry area the ball will come back to the pocket dead.

If I throw through the oil in the middle, the ball will make a gentle tuck into the pocket and carry. But that is a tight line and does not leave a lot of margin for error.

A stronger, smoother, earlier reacting ball seems to help me with both control and power and a longer angular ball seems to hurt me in both areas.

I would imagine with a higher volume of oil I will be able to move further right and play a more traditional Full Roller Stroker game like Joe suggests.

But as long as the oil volume stays low, with my slow ball speed, low revs and 90 degree axis rotation, I am forced to find more oil to help conserve energy.

I don't know if this is a correct analysis of my situation or not. But this is what I seem to see happening.

I am doing best right now with my strong, early reading, Karma Urethane solid at 1500 grit.

Would a reactive ball be better? I am not sure.

Arsenal

#186698 - 04/10/14 05:59 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Nord, what to look for is a pattern in the pins you leave when you do not strike. That more than anything will tell you whether you are lined up with the right ball, right line, and right release, or if you need to make an adjustment. For example, 10 pins are typical on a light hit, and may only require a small adjustment with your feet and/or eyes. However, if you routinely leave the 2-4-5 bucket, or worse a 5-7 or 2-8-10 split, on a light hit, you likely need a stronger ball and/or to move your target line (feet, arrows, breakpoint) further outside into the friction. If that turns out to be the case, you can go back and read my earlier advice.

A tool you can use to help analyze and improve your game is http://www.bowlsk.com/.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186703 - 04/10/14 10:39 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
nord Offline

Thanks Joe. I will check out that resource.

My main problem at the new lanes that night is they were super dry.

I really only got my ball to be on the pocket side a handful of times in that 3 games series. Every shot but those were high or crossed over.

I had 4 pins and 3 pins all night.

When I did hit the pocket with my Pearl it left 10 pins because you could see the ball did not have time to get into a strong roll so it just deflected to the right and trapped the 3 pin pushing it straight back preventing it from pushing the 6 pin back into the 10 pin as it should, thus a 10 pin is left.

When I switched to the Karma Solid it did have time to get into a roll and was able to drive through and push the 3 pin to the right so it pushed the 6 pin into the 10 to carry the strike.

But again, after looking at every video of every shot, I was always high or crossed over on every hit but six, and of those six shots finally in the pocket, two with the Pearl left 10 pins and two left the 2-4-5 and 2-4-5-7. The two Karma Solid shots at the very end were strikes.

Arsenal

#186712 - 04/10/14 01:16 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
nord Offline

In retrospect, what I have noticed about the Natural Pearl in "dry conditions" is that it is too strong to play up or out to the right side, but too weak to play in the middle.

The Karma was just strong enough to play in the middle.

Perhaps a plastic ball would have allowed me to play the right side in those dry conditions.

My Natural Pearl is stock 4000 grit dull, would polishing it allow it to be used on the right side when conditions are dry?

Again this reaction of the Natural Pearl is what happens for me with slow speed, low revs and 90 degree axis rotation.

Arsenal

#186718 - 04/10/14 03:26 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

Nord, I am not convinced your limited testing leads to the best conclusions.

If you are willing to participate in an experiment, I would like to provide you with a simple alignment system you can print and use as a reference that will help you know where to stand on the approach and where to target at the arrows to adjust for different conditions. This is the same strategy I use to maximize entry angle with my own slower speed, moderate revs, and higher axis rotation.

All I need to know is your personal offset, which is how many boards you have to stand from your target in order to roll the ball in a straight line to your target. For example, if in order to roll the ball straight up the middle arrow (20 board), you have to stand on the 25 board, your personal offset would be 5 (25 minus 20).

#186720 - 04/10/14 03:49 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

Joe, I am practicing tonight so please post it for me as soon as you can! I will try it. I love these kinds of experiments.

I use my right foot as my measuring stick for offset.

If I stand and then hold the ball at my side and let it touch the ground the ball is usually about 3 boards to the right of my foot and that is how I target the boards on the lanes.

I stand with my right foot three boards to the right or left of my target to roll right over a target point.

Edited by nord (04/10/14 03:56 PM)

Arsenal

#186721 - 04/10/14 04:12 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline

Sorry, I won't be able to post it until tomorrow morning. But, just to confirm, if you want roll the ball straight up the middle arrow (20 board), you would start on the approach with your right foot on the 23 board, is that correct?

#186727 - 04/10/14 07:15 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

I will verify this tonight just to make sure post the results.
So hold off till then.

Thanks Joe.

Arsenal

Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.