BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186099 - 03/22/14 02:32 AM How to match a ball to the player's style? *****
nord Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
I have a general question that I hope you all can help with.

I understand that different lane conditions require different ball friction choices and even back end reaction ball choices: Skid flip, early roll, soft backend move, hard backend move and so on.

But isnít it more important for a bowler to first match a ball reaction choice to their style?

Given the same lane condition, wouldnít a player like Pete Webber with his side roll have to use a different type of ball than a straight shooter like Michael Haugen?

I ask this question because I am trying to understand how to make proper ball choices moving forward.

I have decided to go back to my Full Roller 90 degree axis rotation with zero tilt.

I will be starting with a low approach like the way I used to bowl two years ago and will be sliding the ball low into the lane.

I am doing this due to pain.

My attempts at semi-roller and more behind the ball with higher push away and higher starting position have gotten me into physical trouble.

So this last Thursday in league I went back to my old style and suffered only minor pain and soreness the days after.

I was also way more accurate and consistent despite not bowling this way for two years.

League has ended at our work sponsored house that has caused untold frustration over the last two years.

My teammates and I are moving to a different house, a high quality house with new synthetic lanes, new pins, perfect pin reflectors on the sides and a very precise and well maintained medium oil house pattern with an additional foot of length.

This house hosts many tournaments and I have watched pros like Devaney bowling there.

Because the conditions are well maintained the scoring is generally very high.

I am also getting close to finding the ideal thumb and finger pitches for my ball.

Once I went back to my Full Roller grip it made it much easier to tune in and once I hone in and get it just right then I want to get a new ball of 14lbs to use in this house.

So my question is:

Based on how I will be releasing the ball, with my side rotation and naturally longer slide and length that I get on a ball, and my slow ball speed of 11-12mph, what kind of ball surface/core reaction shape should I seek out that will get me the best control and power for my style of release?

Below is a video that shows approximately how I will be approaching and releasing the ball.

Thank you all for your advice.

Arsenal
Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Hammer Black Widow Urethane
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186102 - 03/22/14 06:18 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: nord
My teammates and I are moving to a different house, a high quality house with new synthetic lanes, new pins, perfect pin reflectors on the sides and a very precise and well maintained medium oil house pattern with an additional foot of length.

This house hosts many tournaments and I have watched pros like Devaney bowling there.

Because the conditions are well maintained the scoring is generally very high.

So glad to hear you are moving to a house that maintains the lanes. The old house, as dry as it was, would have been a miserable experience for almost any bowler that rolls a hook.

When it comes to matching equipment to bowler to lane conditions, there are lots of variables. Storm's website has a Matchmaker feature that is helpful. http://stormbowling.com/matchmaker

With the following input specs:
Current Average: 141-175
Ball Speed: Slower
Rev Rate: Lower
Axis of Rotation: Off the Side
Lane Condition: Medium
Track: High

It recommends:
Ball: Tropical Breeze Pink/Purple http://stormbowling.com/products/balls/tropicalbreezepink-purple
Coverstock: Reactor Pearl Reactive
Weight Block: Camber Core

I would agree with that suggestion. If you want to go stronger, I would recommend the IQ Tour Fusion. For a THS with defined friction and defined hold, and your slower speed and higher axis rotation, you probably won't need anything stronger than that. Just in case, you still have a Natural Pearl for desert conditions, and a VG Nano for flooded conditions, if you need them.

Other manufacturers may have similar features on their website.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186106 - 03/22/14 10:33 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
BOSStull Offline

A/S/L: 61/M /Georgia
Ignore my post, had wrong ball weight, Sorry , going back to sleep.

Current Bag
Storm: Hy-Road,Hy-Road Nano,Intense
L/M Legends: New Standard,Yeah Baby
Motiv: Artic Sniper
HG 300,
HS 811
https://www.pinterest.com/bosstull/

#186115 - 03/22/14 04:49 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: Joe Bowler]
nord Offline

I had used Storm's matchmaker as well and got the same recommendation for the Tropical Breeze Pink/Purple.

Why is this ball a match for me?
What is the thinking here in matching me with a weaker ball?

This last Thursday I used my Slingshot (a weak ball) with my old way of throwing and here was the reaction.

Standing with my right foot on center spot, target is 13 board out to 9 and back.

A small miss inside of my break point would cross over Brooklyn.
A two board miss outside of break-point would get back, but then hit weak leaving ten pin or five pin or even 5-10 split.

Lanes were pretty dry that night.

By the way, the new Storm Pitch Black intrigues me. wink

Arsenal

#186121 - 03/22/14 09:06 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline

Nord just curious what ball weight are you looking to buy? I remember reading your other post that you bowl using various weights.

Current Bag
HG 300,
HS 811

#186122 - 03/22/14 09:16 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: BOSStull]
nord Offline

I have been using 13lbs for awhile and will shoot for my new ball to be 14lbs in a couple of months when the new league starts on these new lanes.

Arsenal

#186123 - 03/22/14 09:42 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline

I knew you posted before that you used lower ball weights and some of the Storm Balls do have different cores 13lbs and below is why I was asking. Tropical Breeze definitely seems to be an awful weak ball. I have a friend although not a full roller but does have lower ball speed and revs and has had pretty good luck with a Storm Lights Out. Anyhow good luck on your search for a new ball.

Current Bag
HG 300,
HS 811

#186126 - 03/22/14 11:25 PM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: BOSStull]
nord Offline

Thanks BOSStull,

My teamate has a "Lights Out" and that ball can really strike!

I guess a question that should be asked is:

When a weaker ball is recommend for a player, (in my case the "Tropical Breeze") the player assumes that using this weaker ball "cheats them" out of the carry power of stronger more expensive high tech balls.

But is this really true?

Arsenal

#186128 - 03/23/14 06:48 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline

Originally Posted By: nord
Thanks BOSStull,

My teamate has a "Lights Out" and that ball can really strike!

I guess a question that should be asked is:

When a weaker ball is recommend for a player, (in my case the "Tropical Breeze") the player assumes that using this weaker ball "cheats them" out of the carry power of stronger more expensive high tech balls.

But is this really true?

I kind of agree with you. Good carry comes with the right entry angle into the pocket. Will you be able to get that with the weaker ball?

If I plugged the numbers into the Track recommendation tool correctly then stronger balls are recommended, the 910 A for medium oil and LX16 for heavy oil. Track's new naming system is directed at matching balls to Rev rate style of bowler in your case low rev the LX16.

http://www.trackbowling.com/product-recommendation.html

Edited by BOSStull (03/23/14 07:29 AM)

Current Bag
HG 300,
HS 811

#186129 - 03/23/14 07:52 AM Re: How to match a ball to the player's style? [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline

Nord I also see in your video you are bowling
in the oily portion of the lane for THS and being a longer pattern maybe heavy oil should be the option chosen on matchmaker. Other balls are recommended for Heavy Oil than the Breeze.

Current Bag
HG 300,
HS 811

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 04/20/18 10:56 AM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.