BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186067 - 03/20/14 05:48 PM 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling
5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/m/Littleton

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186080 - 03/21/14 03:59 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Unusual, but effective. Is that your normal style? Btw, welcome to the forum.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186089 - 03/21/14 09:50 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I thought I had the only no-thumb, back-up bowler on my Monday nite league team. But, I see there is another one.

Welcome.

BTW, my teammate goes both ways. Rolls a hook to start, and uses the back-up on right side spares. Strange to see him pickup a 1-2-10 by hitting the 1 and 10 with the ball. Later in the match, when the oil depletes for righties, he goes to the back-up more often.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#186092 - 03/21/14 11:52 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Welcome to the board! smile

Unconventional deliveries can be great - and I have seen several high-rev backup bowlers. My wife bowls backup and I study her quite a bit (partly because I enjoy watching her. . . smile )

The problem is that of consistency. There are so many muscles involved in backup bowling that it's hard to do it the same way every single time. A pretty good backup-bowler, I've watched and her PAP changes constantly so sometimes she gets GREAT reaction, sometimes she gets TERRIBLE reaction, but mostly she gets something in the middle, but it's rarely the same. She will string a ton of strikes, but it's rare. She misses spares because sometimes the ball doesn't react as much as she expects, other times it reacts more. . .

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#186104 - 03/22/14 09:49 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 64/M /Georgia
Welcome 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R
Unusual style but whatever works.

A few weeks ago in leagues I saw a right handed lady bowl a 300 laying down around the 7 board left side rolling all 12 in the 1-2 pocket. She had a little more overall hook and backend than what I consider what would be a normal backup ball. It was her 1st 300.

#186136 - 03/23/14 09:19 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
Bumper Bowler

Thanks! I go both directions too. I'm going to make a "spare" shot video bowling this way. And yes, been bowling 1-fingered since I was 16. It's only been recently that I had my own ball with one hole. (Drillers at the lanes refused to drill only one, citing some bowlers bible law). I finally found one guy who wasn't all that crazy, or at least as crazy as me. Thanks for watching! I have yet to meet another that bowls reverse spin primarily like I do. I get quite a gathering around my game with people just wondering how. It's fun! I'll try and get another vid going with my "correct" spin going soon! I usually go that way to pick up spare pins that are on the far left. But I won't hesitate to surprise those who say I can't pick them up with my reverse spin, because I'll just add more force and aim with less hook! wink

#186163 - 03/24/14 02:42 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
Bumper Bowler

This is how I pick up my spares!

#186173 - 03/24/14 11:51 AM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
From the other thread:

Quote:
Is there any hope for coaching a stubborn 30 something year-old like myself? I've been bowling with one finger, and consistently using the reverse hook since I was 16. I like doing it, and I don't want to bowl any other way, except for the occasional spare when I throw a counter spin. I do however, want to get more consistent games. What's your thoughts? I'm not on a league, but I am considering joining, so long as I'm allowed to use my ball that has just one hole.

So, there are a few things here.

First, you're stubborn. laugh I know a lot of people who are, and it often takes a "light bulb" moment to get them out of that ditch, and I often see them go back in.

Second, bowling is supposed to be fun. If you're having fun with the style you've got, then keep having fun. If you REALLY want to change (and there can be huge benefits to doing so) it may be not-fun for a while as you get used to it, and unlearn the habits you've formed so far. Your brain and body are going to resist, because you're "stubborn" ( smile ) and because you've spent a lot of time getting yourself as successful as you are with it.

The problem comes down to your two conflicting statements:

Quote:
I like doing it, and I don't want to bowl any other way

versus

Quote:
I do however, want to get more consistent games.

Bowling without a thumb (one aspect of bowling as you do) is inherently less consistent. Yes, it IS POSSIBLE, but I've never seen anyone be consistent with no thumb. It has to do with the way you hold the ball - you MUST use muscle to hold it; you don't have a consistent release because the ball falls off your hand. It's spectacular, you get great pin action, and it's fun - but it won't be consistent.

Bowling with one finger has the same issue - how do you line the ball up? Ball cores are directional - are you EXACTLY the same every time? Within a degree or two? With three holes, I can be pretty sure that my ball is on my hand pretty danged close to exactly the same every time.

If you enjoy the way you bowl, absolutely! Have fun! smile It looks like fun and it looks like YOU have fun with it!

But just realize that you have two goals that are pretty much counter to each other.

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#186186 - 03/24/14 06:52 PM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: mmalsed]
Bumper Bowler

Thank you! I won't disagree with all of what you said. I am just looking to see if there is a way to continue doing what I do and be consistent. If my game gets worse, I will change up the way I bowl and try something new. Because it's not fun at that point. But, if I get better doing it this way, I want to be consistent. If that is possible, and you say it is. Maybe I'll figure out a pattern, and muscle memory. I do think I have control and use SOME muscle in my release, even if it looks as though it's just falling out of my hands, but I instantly know when I'm going to throw a bad ball or a gutter, and I feel like I adjust to my cradle, walk, swing and form afterwords. Ah, stubbornness is a disease. smile thanks for your reply.

Edited by 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R (03/24/14 07:16 PM)

#186188 - 03/24/14 08:34 PM Re: 1 fingered, right handed, backspin bowling [Re: 5L1N6 5H0T 8OWL3R]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
If you want to be consistent then don't walk away as soon as the ball rolls of your hand.Maintain balance at the foul line so you can watch the ball roll over your intended target.If your standing up and walking away your head is moving and you can not see if the ball rolls over your intended target. Have you ever shot a gun or bow and arrow? A steady head after the release is important.
High series 810
Current ave. 213

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.