BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185971 - 03/17/14 10:33 PM New Lanes Bowled and LanePlay Advice
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
how to tell if a house has a short or long pattern:

Best way to tell is to throw your ball relatively slow down the middle of the lane with side rotation and watch where it reacts to friction (the end of the pattern). You can repeat this process on different parts of the lane to give you an idea of the pattern shape. i sometimes throw it two handed and make sure i use the whole lane to see the friction.

Laneplay:

once i'm past that, what tips for lane play do you recommend for THS-type (and modified THS) patterns, Sport Patterns, Intl Patterns, etc. I know many people know this in their head, but, since i'm so new back to the sport, i'm reaching out for the experience i can't possibly get in the short time i've been back.

I want to create a notebook beginning with the way these patterns typically break down (i know it depends on laneplay but...) with pattern graphs and charts

Then, i can adjust the notes to fit my game as time goes on. Anyone who has been successful on a particular pattern especially when fresh will help most because of the differences in pattern breakdown are so unpredictable depending on who you bowl with.

any help appreciated.

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#186008 - 03/18/14 09:45 PM Re: New Lanes Bowled and LanePlay Advice [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
BowlerBill Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
how to tell if a house has a short or long pattern:

Best way to tell is to throw your ball relatively slow down the middle of the lane with side rotation and watch where it reacts to friction (the end of the pattern). You can repeat this process on different parts of the lane to give you an idea of the pattern shape. i sometimes throw it two handed and make sure i use the whole lane to see the friction.

Laneplay:

once i'm past that, what tips for lane play do you recommend for THS-type (and modified THS) patterns, Sport Patterns, Intl Patterns, etc. I know many people know this in their head, but, since i'm so new back to the sport, i'm reaching out for the experience i can't possibly get in the short time i've been back.

I want to create a notebook beginning with the way these patterns typically break down (i know it depends on laneplay but...) with pattern graphs and charts

Then, i can adjust the notes to fit my game as time goes on. Anyone who has been successful on a particular pattern especially when fresh will help most because of the differences in pattern breakdown are so unpredictable depending on who you bowl with.

any help appreciated.

RR

This is a good start. I like to find out where the safety zone is at the outside of the pattern and if there is a washout area when I throw it across the headpin.

The HS can vary so much. I bowl regularly at several centers. One is always flooded, one has little oil and the heads are a desert (always dry on these old wood lanes), one has a great show although the back end can dry up a little more than I prefer and one has a reverse block because they only oil the lanes a couple of times a week. I also practice after the sport shot league is over. I get to see a lot of different patterns every week.

It pays to observe where guys with a similar style throw the ball. I go to some centers on alternate days and watch where everyone is playing.

It also pays to know your equipment's strong and weak points and when to change from one ball to another. I fought this for a long time and am now comfortable making a ball change that allows me to stay closer to my comfort zone.

I still find I'll need to change my style to overcome certain conditions like dry heads in my Sunday league. For the past three weeks I have had good to decent games 1 and 2 and bad game 3 in spite of changing balls. My solution was to change to a power shot instead of a free and easy arm swing.

I have been doing real well with a free and easy arm swing lately but it doesn't work when the heads have no oil. The ball reads too early and has no energy left when it hits the pins. The only way I can get powerful strikes is to throw a power based shot. Of course, this is just me. It might not work for everyone.

I hope this helps.

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#186025 - 03/19/14 05:24 AM Re: New Lanes Bowled and LanePlay Advice [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Being a stroker, on unfamiliar lanes/patterns, I start outside looking for friction first, then move in looking for hold, while noting how far down the lane the ball begins to react, and adjust accordingly.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Fin09 - 12/14/18 11:31 AM
New Pro Shop Near My House
by Mkirchie - 11/26/18 05:05 PM
Trying to keep my throw straight
by spr3wr - 11/24/18 08:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all
by djp1080 - 11/22/18 10:49 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.