BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185671 - 03/05/14 07:47 PM PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it?
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
I've watched all 3 quarter-finals aired so far of the PBA League and the crowds at the Thunderbowl Lanes in Detroit have been rather dull, they're just sitting there while our great players are busting their behinds off with some great bowling, as only the best in the world can do.

This past week's singles match between Norm Duke/Rhino Page of the Dallas Strikers and Chris Barnes of the Silver Lake Atom Splitters was a good one, but as Chris Barnes continued striking, the crowd failed to build up the momentum, they just sat there, like, ho-hum, despite the fact that CB had the front 9 going for him before leaving the 4-6-7 in the 10th frame, ending his bid for a perfecto.

If the crowds are gonna be this nonchalant, this (too) quiet, I just might skip watching the rest of the tour on ESPN and just wait for the events to be on YouTube, but this is exactly why the mainstream, and the IOC do not take bowling seriously enough, the crowds are ho-hum/dull/bored, and it sets a very poor precedent for the future growth of not only our great sport, but of the PBA as well.

Our lane heroes wear $100.00 custom jerseys from the good folks at High 5 Gear, throw the best equipment in the world ($150-250 a piece depending on the ball and the company.) and wear the most comfortable high-performance footwear you can find, and some of them even wear custom-tailored pants used exclusively for tournament play, but yet, despite all that, we still do not get taken seriously as athletes.

WHY??? Perhaps maybe someone can shed some light on this, but also what do you guys think of the PBA League as it enters its second season?
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185682 - 03/06/14 08:00 AM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I'm starting to like the league play. The Barnes match was great, and my game was a reflection of Norm Duke's disappointing 10 pinitis LOL

I don't pay attention to the crowds at all. I was pleased that Barnes doesn't wear his signature neon all blue or green, I think he looks like a clown in them personally. The shirts, the shoes, the balls…who really cares?

I think the biggest difference in PBA bowling events on Sunday is the silence. Perhaps the fans get indoctrinated into this, and remain silent. They get yelled at for moving, so I think they remain still.

Nobody takes anyone seriously because of tailored pants or shoes. I have $150 balls and $200 shoes, and I still suck smile

Watching the fans and the different atmosphere during the week was fun. Bowling alleys weren't meant to be dead quiet, it seems weird. But I think the fans on TV are probably told to be quiet, and it's hard to turn a switch to hear a crowd roar for 5 seconds, especially with the lame strike music most players have play.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185683 - 03/06/14 08:11 AM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
It's been pretty good so far- my only thought is that if the singles and doubles matches are split, the trios match is meaningless. If the teams are 1-1, another 1 point match means nothing. Regardless of who wins it to go up 2-1, the winner of the team match will win the match. I know they want the team match to mean something every time out, so even if one team loses the first 3 matches, they can still tie it up with a team win.
I have to give the PBA credit- they're still struggling to get viewers and sponsors, but they're trying new ideas every year, hoping something will catch on.

Bowl up a Storm!

#185685 - 03/06/14 12:30 PM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: SteveH]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: SteveH
I think the biggest difference in PBA bowling events on Sunday is the silence. Perhaps the fans get indoctrinated into this, and remain silent. They get yelled at for moving, so I think they remain still.

Watching the fans and the different atmosphere during the week was fun. Bowling alleys weren't meant to be dead quiet, it seems weird. But I think the fans on TV are probably told to be quiet, and it's hard to turn a switch to hear a crowd roar for 5 seconds, especially with the lame strike music most players have play.

It's one thing to be quiet as a player starts his pre-shot routing up until he posts his shot, but to not even root on the ball or cheer on a player afterwards as his/her ball goes down the lane and hardly have any enthusiasm when he/she strikes or even an "aaaaahhhhhh" when a player gets a bad break is kinda going too far IMO.

As for some of the strike music, some of it is dull, but I believe the players do get to pick their own strike piece, and there actually are some good ones, Obviously with PDW being a WWE fan he picked "The Game", and King Of Kings" from Motorhead, in which Triple H uses as his entrance music. Dom Barrett, being English, also picked a good one, an excerpt of "Fire" from Kasabian, as used by Sky Sports for their Barclay's Premier League Football Matchday intro theme, and even Norm Duke has great taste in using "Play The Game Tonight" from Kansas, those are three good ones, but we've still got a bit more work to do if we're ever gonna be back on the mainstream sports map ever again.

www.BIGHMW.com

#185686 - 03/06/14 12:58 PM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I guess, I've never been to a PBA event, so I don;t know if any rules of decorum exist. I looked it up, really no different than the qualifying rounds except for movement.

What's interesting is that in the qualifying rounds, fans can talk, move about, act normal. In the Championship rounds, it's quiet as a church mouse. My take is that when an event is so quiet, the fans just stay quiet.

"The championship rounds are different from qualifying as there are only two lanes being used in the whole bowling center. The constant noise of qualifying is gone, which completely changes your leeway as a fan for movement and noise. The environment becomes much more like a golf course."

http://bowling.about.com/od/etiquette/a/How-to-Behave-as-a-Spectator-at-a-PBA-Tour-Event.htm

I guess I just don't agree with your premise that this is what's holding the PBA back, but that's just me, maybe others agree with you.

The bowlers have made the decision that the PBA championship events should be conducted as orderly as tennis and golf matches. I kind of like the League-like atmosphere of the qualifying and match play rounds myself.

Bowling as a competitive sport just lacks the following. I know many people that know of Pete Weber, Norm Duke, etc… Hardly any of them know who Sean Rash or Jason Belmonte is, outside of league and competitive bowlers. Perhaps they just don't like to watch bowling, that is a distinct possibility.

My suggestion, once again, is for our bowling centers to post the match pictures in a visible location. Belmo/Rash/everyone… Show the ESPN date and time on the poster. We have a decent sports bar in our center, with TV's all over the place. On weekends, I noticed the huge screen was turned to bowling one Sunday, and the smaller sets were turned to whatever was on at that time.

About 20 people were watching the PBA screen, and not a single one asked them to change the channel. I told the manager that this test worked. He was surprised as well.

Just like golf played up Tiger Woods when he hit the scene, they need to push someone in the PBA. As the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185688 - 03/06/14 07:09 PM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: SteveH]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: SteveH
Just like golf played up Tiger Woods when he hit the scene, they need to push someone in the PBA. As the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

...and that man, or, men, should be the future of the PBA themselves, in the forms of Jason Belmonte and Sean Rash, and the rivalry the already have going between them. It's the best rivalry the PBA has had since the old PDW/Walter Ray Williams Jr. one from 20 years ago.

Also I think that High 5 Gear should be pushing pro shops to sell their apparel, especially the Sean Rash Brunswick and Belmo Storm shirts, the fallout just might and will eventually carry over to all the other players on Tour, and then their shirts will sell well too.

...and we all know that most people and businesses care about their "bottom line", and in that particular way everyone wins. The pro shops make money, the ball companies prosper, High 5 Gear makes money and also the PBA and its players get more public recognition, and eventually, you might see fans wearing their lane heroes' jerseys to school/the mall/at a nightclub or even out on the town, much like the big 4 pro sports leagues and their teams/players have already.

www.BIGHMW.com

#185691 - 03/07/14 02:35 AM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I applaud your enthusiasm BIGHMW, if there were even just 10 of you in every center I could see the PBA spreading in popularity, but sadly there just is not enough of a grass roots movement to push the PBA like it needs to be pushed. At least not in the US.

For whatever reason my Comcast DVR did not auto-record the last two events so I haven't seen them, I checked the ESPN schedule for Sunday and don't see bowling on the docket, so I guess they are off for the week. I'll have to check next week to see if anything is scheduled to record.

#185692 - 03/07/14 05:01 AM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I give the PBA credit for trying. However, I would prefer to see the PBA League limit itself to the 5-bowler team competition, each event being 3 games, using the same baker-style format. Each game would be like the quarters, periods, etc. in other sports. Do you see singles, doubles, and triples competition before the main team event in any other major sport? Since being mainstream is the goal, I think it would be better to stick to the formula for team competition. Plus, it's a familiar format for most league bowlers.

One of the things missing to attract legions of fans is HYPE. For most major sports, there are pre-game shows, post-game shows, highlights, interviews, training, weigh-ins, etc. It's all about creating anticipation for the next event. That emotional buildup makes everything more exciting. I am convinced that people will watch any form of competition where they feel some connection to the competitors. Heck, American Idol attracts upwards of 20 million viewers. Why not bowling? Maybe let viewers pick the most valuable bowler on the team via phone/internet to get them more involved? Least number of votes gets benched?

But, let's be realistic. Promoting bowling as a spectator sport is hard. The goal of bowling is repetition. The pros throw strikes almost every shot. The best pros make every shot look like the previous shot. Imagine if baseball players hit home runs every time up to bat. Or, football teams scored touchdowns every time they got the ball. Or, in the case of American Idol, if everybody sang the same song to perfection. It would be boring to watch. Those are some of the challenges promoting bowling as a spectator sport. To the masses, it appears easy and repetitive. The PBA needs to promote the players and the human drama of competition, because promoting bowling as a spectator sport will always have its limits. But, there is hope. Everybody thinks they can sing, just like they think they can bowl. The difference is they are watching American Idol.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#185698 - 03/07/14 10:50 AM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: Joe Bowler]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
I am convinced that people will watch any form of competition where they feel some connection to the competitors. Heck, American Idol attracts upwards of 20 million viewers. Why not bowling?

I agree with you, and my perfect world solution is to get the PBA off ESPN, and put it on The History Channel. Look at all the shows on there, that have absolutely nothing to do with history (or anything relevant for that matter) that are all ratings monsters.

[censored] Stars, American Pickers, Axe Men, Top Shot, Ice Road Truckers etc, etc, etc.

Bowling with that sort of reality type feel would be a hit. If the viewers could follow a few different PBA stars as they go from tournament to tournament, highs and lows, winning checks and not cashing, life on the road, family, etc, you would have the human element people demand from TV these days, and then it could all culminate with the regular finals telecast.

With that, you'd have the ratings, you'd have the history channel's sponsors, and you would be a household name (just like somehow or another all those other shows are.) And with that, they could bowl a full season tour, probably for more money than they ever did, and the bowlers would have an outlet to even bigger bowling sponsors...Ford, Jeep, Budweiser, Miller, Coke, Pepsi, etc.

There's even a few great stars they could follow:

Belmonte, the international sensation with the warm smile, and the young family, trotting the globe trying to make a living.

Barnes, the greatest of his generation trying to fit his name in the history books with the all time greats.

Weber, a member of the first family of bowling, aging, but after cleaning up his act, still whoopin on the youngsters.

We have the human element that people want. If we got it on a channel like History, where people tune in for strange things and then love it, we'd get the exposure we need to revamp the PBA. It would only take the PBA admitting that it can't do the same things it did in 1960, and hope to continue to survive. I'm positive it would work. If I new who to send suggestions to, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#185702 - 03/07/14 03:15 PM Re: PBA League - Season 2 - what do you think of it? [Re: BIGHMW]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
I prefer the step ladder format. Just looked at the schedule and it's all leagues so I may be done with PBA TV this season depending on what I'm doing.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.