BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18558 - 11/24/04 01:27 PM Re: back to four steps
Comet Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: male/Canada
Thanks for the detailed explanation Coach!
It's not confusing at all, i think i get what you mean now. I'll try to adjust tonite and see how it turns out

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18559 - 11/24/04 02:58 PM Re: back to four steps
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
I hope it helps.... It's like trying to explain to someone how to chew gum.... its just really hard to find the right words to make it make sense.

I guess an easy statement to make would be: "It is very difficult to be habitual in unfamiliar situations".

Since most of our errors are habit, placing the body in unfamiliar teritory makes it difficult for that habit to have an effect. With the habit removed from the equation, the brain get a clean sheet of paper to work out the problem.

#18560 - 11/25/04 03:02 AM Re: back to four steps
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You have to be able to "Post The Shot". What does that mean? Well,that means that you have finish off the shot with perfect timing and perfect balance. This makes you SOLID at the line. It means that you are balanced enough to remain in your release position long enough to watch the ball go through the pins.

If you HOP, SKIP, STEP OFF, BOUNCE, REAR UP, then you are not "Posting the Shot". Advantages to "Posting the Shot" is accuracy, consistency with the ability to repeat shots. If you do any of the above then your feet are moving TOO fast or your ball swing is too slow (which ever is better for you to understand). Normally you do not see these symptoms in shadow play because you are warming up. But as you warm up , you get looser and adrenaline kicks in, human nature has a tendancy to increase footwork. Now if you accept this as fact and make no moves to slow down, then you have to realize that you will have to adjust your shot to compensate for the additional speed. You are going faster, so now your ball is going faster and it will not react like it did before you were loose and going faster.

As a side line. If I move up on the approach, my mind does not alter my foot work. I foul! Most people won't. So through trial and error I know that moving up on the approach does not slow my feet down or shorten my steps, but this does work for many (possibly most) people. It is a good exercise to find out what can work for you.

A couple weeks ago on the PBA telecast, Doug Kent was bowling for all the marbles. He was doing great and is a great example of "Posting the Shot". He never missed the pocket and though he lost, he was bowling great and shows a wonderful example of "Posting the Shot".

Erin

#18561 - 11/25/04 01:29 PM Re: back to four steps
Comet Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: male/Canada
Hmmm... I was able to relax myself in the first game last nite without paying any attention to my steps, and it really did wonders!!!!!

And usually i'm able to "post the shot", but the thing i found is that my "post" is not the same everytime.... sometimes my trailing leg would bent a little while other times it'd extend all the way after the slide; and my balance arm would sometimes bend as well.... is this normal?

#18562 - 11/25/04 03:11 PM Re: back to four steps
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Those little things are not an area of big concern right now. The more you relax and let it flow naturally, the more the body will seek the comfort position. A good finishing position is very comfortable, very balanced, and makes the shot feel effortless. As long as you don't induce habitual behavior into the approach and finish, then the body will seek that position.

Take it easy, and at a slow pace, maybe concentrate more on finishing position when you practice. It will come naturally, during competition, as the body begins to recognize it. It will also stick out like a sore thumb to you when it isn't there, after you become used to the feeling.

And - Always, always, always, use the one step drill to get the feeling of sliding into the finished pose. Always hold the pose until the ball clears the pindeck. That ball is talking to you all the way down the lane, until it drops out of sight. The more you watch it, the better you learn its language, the better you recognize details in the path.

#18563 - 11/25/04 04:04 PM Re: back to four steps
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
Coach 04
scout
First scout, I am glad I could help you. I did not
do myself anygood because I did not do what I have
been told to do. I tried but gave up. I am going
to practice tomorrow and will try all I have been
shown. They changed the lanes again last night,
and am mad. Those changes effect me more than the
high end bowlers. There was 4 300 games going on
but none made it. The scores were in the 280's as
they did 9 and 10 in a row. crying Very frustrating to have to watch that. Any way I will
see what happens.
Coach 04 How long does a new ball last? I mean
when is it dead as far as hooking or striking.
strokers do it better with help.

#18564 - 11/25/04 10:30 PM Re: back to four steps
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Joel,

That question is almost impossible to answer.

So many things effect the life of the coverstock.

High rpm induces more heat than low rpm.
Bowling on excessive oil compared to light oil, or dry lanes.
How often one bowls.
The propensity of the coverstock to absorb oil, or to harden.
The porosity of the coverstock.
The porosity of the lanes surface.
The hardness of the lane surface.
The texture of the lane surface.
The Brand of the lane oil.
The ball cleaning routine of the bowler.
The type of cleaners used on the ball.
The number of times the ball is resurfaced.
The number of times the ball surface is altered by polishing or abrasion.
What the coverstock is made of.
Whether there are particles in the coverstock.
The bowlers release, axis rotation, and loft.
How the ball is stored.

That's just a few of the things that come to mind.

Some people swear a high performance ball is only good for 100 games, some say 200 games. For me, bowling 40+ games per week, I will replace balls approximately every eight weeks. Some Brands last much longer, some not as long.

The one thing I have found consistantly, through experience, is that any coverstock developed by BASF seems to last much longer than any other coverstock. Brunswick Inferno line, and Columbia Bully line are both from BASF research, and both seem to outlast other balls. A friend of mine has over 2000 games on his Inferno and it still hooks the same as the day he got it. The Bully line is relatively new, but of all the people I know throwing it, not one has had the "Sudden Death Syndrome" related to coverstock breakdown.

So really the bottom line is determined by you. You throw your equipment all the time, you know what is "normal" for your equipment. When it quits acting "normal", then there is a problem. It doesn't necessarily meen that you have a coverstock problem. As you improve your release and consistancy, your PAP will move. When the PAP moves, then the drilling is no longer the same respective to the former and latter PAP. You have to remember that in the drilling, the biggest effect on the hook shape is the distance from the Pin to the PAP. When the PAP moves that distance changes respectively. When it changes, so does hook shape. So a ball losing hook may not be from coverstock failure. It could be from bowler improvement.

About every six weeks I go to the pro-shop, have my primary ball track located and my PAP located. We marke the PAP with an awl, and monitor the change over time. If it becomes large enough to effect the ball, I will plug and re-drill, or replace the ball, depending on age and use.

#18565 - 11/26/04 05:19 PM Re: back to four steps
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
coach04
Hello, my mojo by track magic is 2 yrs old. I have
a reactive resin and I polish it at the Pro Shop
every month at a cost of 3 bucks per shot. The pin
is located between the finger holes so the ball
goes longer as my hook is only 5 bds. When purchased new the ball hooked maybe 8 bds at best.
My teamate says that it is dead. Would it pay for
me to plug the holes and move the pin to a point
where the ball would be stronger but still go almost to the same point and then hook. I clean
it after each 3 games with mild stuff like windex
and it does pretty good. The ball in two years
has never been plugged until I do it now if I do
it. I need your advice on this. thanks in advance
joel

#18566 - 11/26/04 05:29 PM Re: back to four steps
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Do you know where your PAP is located?

It would be nice to know if it has changed since you had the ball drilled. Your pro-shop can locate it for you if you don't know where it is.

Just guessing I'd say two years of bowling on two leagues, plus practice time, is putting quite a few games on the ball. It may very well be time for replacement. Not to mention that ball technology has made advancements during that time.

#18567 - 11/26/04 08:15 PM Re: back to four steps
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You can also have the Pro Shop just clean up that ball and scuff it with a green pad. Thus leaving it fairly dull.

I believe that you should try to use a ball in "box condition". What I mean is that you shouldn't try to scuff a pearl ball, or high polish a dull particle. Balls are created and put in box condition because the manufacterer believes that's the best condition for that ball.

Now, if a ball is deemed dead, and you feel you have nothing to lose by experimenting with the cover then go for whatever you think may work. I've even had balls put in the Revitalizer as a last ditch effort to get a few more games out of them. Whether plugging and redrilling is worth it, I'm not sure. Espcially when a plug and redrill can cost $30 and up (personally I think plugging and redrilling should be a lot more as the labor involved is great). When a ball is dead, its usually dead and plugging and redrilling isn't going to help much. Next time the Pro Shop looks at it, have them check and see if the core is seperating. If it is...then its really done for.

Erin

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 09/23/18 10:56 AM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 09/12/18 08:37 AM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 09/07/18 04:48 AM
End of Days
by steveA - 09/05/18 04:25 PM
Off-Spot Rule and Pinspotter Operation Question
by BOSStull - 09/01/18 06:43 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.