BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185486 - 02/26/14 10:57 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: VFF57]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: VFF57
Quote:
Some of the PBA bowlers have all the excitement of a head of lettuce

That's what non bowlers think about bowling events in general. Doesn't matter who's bowling to them unless they're hotties wearing bikinis.

I assume one of those bikini models would be Cindy Margolis, who is STILL the undisputed "Most Downloaded Woman On The Internet".

But I agree, bowling, not just the PBA, has suffered a chronic image problem due to not just our poor time slot we are stuck with, but also with there not being enough Belmo/PDW/Sean Rash-type guys out there, we need more of them, for the PBA to start getting seriously noticed again by the mainstream media, as not only talented athletes but also as entertainers as well, what they do on the lanes IS NOT EASY by ANY chance, all of us house hacks out here only WISH we had HALF of the talent that these guys (and gals) have out there, and on their tough lane conditions in which we will never bowl on in our lifetime or any other lifetime for that matter.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185496 - 02/27/14 07:30 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
... but also with there not being enough Belmo/PDW/Sean Rash-type guys out there, we need more of them, for the PBA to start getting seriously noticed again by the mainstream media ...

I agree that the PBA does need big personalities, but they need to be recognized as being talented athletes and bowling needs to be respected by people as being a legitimate sport before we get to that point. Energetic personalities bring occasional mentions from the media when something happens, but that will not help non-bowlers take bowling seriously. I once showed someone at work PDW's "Who do you think you are I am" moment and that person said something along the lines of "Why is he making that big of a deal, it is only bowling." They think its like someone getting excited over a game of checkers. That needs to be fixed.

Mark

#185498 - 02/27/14 07:58 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
I assume one of those bikini models would be Cindy Margolis, who is STILL the undisputed "Most Downloaded Woman On The Internet".

I think she would do just fine.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#185506 - 02/27/14 06:02 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
It's definitely hard to change the perception of blue-collar, beer drinking, Galactic night out bowling for a ton of people. For most, that's all they know. Which is fine in one way, it sells lanes and keeps bowling alive.

But it's a recreational activity, a way to do something indoors for many, not a serious sport.

As I watched this, I darn near feel asleep. I'd be pretty happy about how the PBA has grown. But if you look around in the video, the level of decorum is different than today, more formal. It also looks like the two bowlers don't dare to bend.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185512 - 02/27/14 11:18 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: SteveH
It's definitely hard to change the perception of blue-collar, beer drinking, Galactic night out bowling for a ton of people. For most, that's all they know. Which is fine in one way, it sells lanes and keeps bowling alive.

But it's a recreational activity, a way to do something indoors for many, not a serious sport.

As I watched this, I darn near feel asleep. I'd be pretty happy about how the PBA has grown. But if you look around in the video, the level of decorum is different than today, more formal. It also looks like the two bowlers don't dare to bend.

R.I.P. Billy Welu, and boy what a difference 50 years makes in this great sport. I know Billy Welu up above would be smiling right now if he knew how Jason Belmonte has become so dominant in majors, and winning back-to-back Masters titles is NO EASY FEAT AT ALL, especially coming from the losers' bracket like both of them did.

As for the lack of knee bend, back then it didn't matter much knee bend you utilized to make a shot and make it count. Back in 1965, it was the era of lacquer-finished wood lanes, rubber bowling balls and the full-roller release (where the ball tracked in between the thumb and fingerholes), and the players back then were in pretty good shape, but the majority of them then smoked, and sometimes during the course of a match, there weren't too many restrictions as far as smoking on TV in either the settee areas or even laneside for that matter.

We have to work on what should be the modern image of our great sport, in which players would be of the well-fit, health-conscious, and consummate training/weightlifting/benchpressing/20-30 game-a-day-practicing type like many of the great players on Tour are today, but also, there is still one very looming problem, even 50 years later, people are lead to believe by the mainstream media that we are still of the old stereotypical image of being beer-drinking, smoking, out-of-shape Fred Flintstone lookalikes like we all see many of in our local leagues in our home bowling centers every week. We have to work on eradicating that image or this great sport will never be taken seriously, by the media, the brainwashed general public, or for that matter, the IOC (International Olympic Committee) as well.

www.BIGHMW.com

#185553 - 03/01/14 02:40 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
mfreeman73 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/Long Island
I think most people these days don't give any thought to competitive bowling on TV. When I tell people I watch bowling, they look at me like I'm crazy and mumble something about it being boring. Even though most of them haven't watched any bowling in recent years. I think the TV shows are pretty well done. Definitely better than the "olden" days. But, with most people it's kind of "out of site, out of mind" when it comes to bowling. Bowling, for them, is something you do every once in a while at the alley with the black lights. It's certainly not something you'd spend time with watching on TV.

Now, I'm just talking about perception. I think if any of those kinds of people actually watched bowling on TV, they might actually like it. So, as much as the PBA needs sponsors, they first need ratings. And to get ratings, there has to be a change in how people perceive professional bowling. Then it's a matter of the PBA trying to stay afloat while people's perceptions are changed.

So, how can they change people's perception? Haven't got a clue. :P But, I do think it starts at the local bowling alleys. Most everyone I know bowls at least sometime during the year, but not regularly. If they can at least find some way to get some of those people to watch bowling, that might be a start. If there were some way to market the PBA in the small amount of time that the regular folks are at the alley, I think that would be a good start. But, it would take the PBA somehow getting more into the local alleys and a big part of it is the local bowling alleys getting behind the PBA. But, the PBA can't afford to advertise in all of the alleys across America and the alleys probably aren't going to do free advertising for the PBA. So, not sure what the answer is.

#185558 - 03/01/14 04:36 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: mfreeman73]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: mfreeman73
I think most people these days don't give any thought to competitive bowling on TV. When I tell people I watch bowling, they look at me like I'm crazy and mumble something about it being boring. Even though most of them haven't watched any bowling in recent years. I think the TV shows are pretty well done. Definitely better than the "olden" days. But, with most people it's kind of "out of site, out of mind" when it comes to bowling. Bowling, for them, is something you do every once in a while at the alley with the black lights. It's certainly not something you'd spend time with watching on TV.

Now, I'm just talking about perception. I think if any of those kinds of people actually watched bowling on TV, they might actually like it. So, as much as the PBA needs sponsors, they first need ratings. And to get ratings, there has to be a change in how people perceive professional bowling. Then it's a matter of the PBA trying to stay afloat while people's perceptions are changed.

So, how can they change people's perception? Haven't got a clue. :P But, I do think it starts at the local bowling alleys. Most everyone I know bowls at least sometime during the year, but not regularly. If they can at least find some way to get some of those people to watch bowling, that might be a start. If there were some way to market the PBA in the small amount of time that the regular folks are at the alley, I think that would be a good start. But, it would take the PBA somehow getting more into the local alleys and a big part of it is the local bowling alleys getting behind the PBA. But, the PBA can't afford to advertise in all of the alleys across America and the alleys probably aren't going to do free advertising for the PBA. So, not sure what the answer is.

First idea, would obviously be "word of mouth"-type marketing, and for the past 6 years, both Gemini and now High 5 Gear are doing their part with those great-looking jerseys that the players wear, I myself have ordered all 8 PBA League jerseys for this season from High 5 Gear (they will be in in 3-4 weeks) and I also own Storm's own player jerseys when they used to put them out and wearing them (and representing your favorite players on Tour on your back) in a more-off-lane, more public setting (like at the mall or just everyday) would definitely be a start.

I'm thinking, if I wore my Silver Lake Atom Splitters PBA League jersey out to the mall rather than exclusively at the lanes, more people would (first) compliment me on it or ask me what sports league they're from, and I would definitely (and proudly) tell them "The PBA League", that's one way for the Splitters (or whomever I'm rockin' on my back) and the PBA (or at least the League) new fans whom may try watching it on TV, at least that's a start, and in this social media world we live in, that might very well spread out to more sports fans either watching the shows on ESPN or seeing footage on YouTube at anytime, this can lead up to the same type of hoopla that in 1995 got Cindy Margolis 70,000 downloads in less than 24 hours.

Just think, 70,000 downloads back in 1995 is like millions of hits now by today's standards, if Cindy Margolis can do it, why can't we (and the PBA) do it?

Also sending links to existing YouTube video highlights of great moments in the PBA, much like i.e., Belmo's back-to-back tough split conversions is definitely a great idea. They show all the doubters just how talented these guys (and gals) are, and that indeed they (and we) ARE athletes as much as anyone in the big 4 sports leagues.

Any other ideas guys (and gals)?

www.BIGHMW.com

#185559 - 03/01/14 07:30 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

You two guys have added some great perspective, and very good opinions. Obviously, the centers are the easiest place to attract an audience for peanuts. The reruns are readily available, as are highlights, You Tube, etc… I've discussed this with a center manager a couple of times. I told him that only once have I seen bowling on the TV's in the lanes, on a Sunday. People were glued to it while bowling. They do watch, if they know it's on.

Put in in front of them. High school teams. Today I went to another center to see what they've done to refurbish it. State HS tournament going on. Massive crowd. Most towns don't have a bowling team. Big towns. That needs to change.

I know people that watch rugby and other sports because they play it, and it's on TV. Same with soccer. Bowling is mostly a participant sport, not a spectator sport, as are many, many sports.

Is there a PBA magazine? The PBA website is in need of help, and that's a very inexpensive way to beef up marketing and promotion.

Takes time, everything worthwhile does.

Another way is to connect with the occasional player. "Ever want to bowl better and impress your co-workers"

Coaching is desperately needed at all levels. I believe we have one certified coach in the state. The junior leagues are filled.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185600 - 03/03/14 08:18 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I can tell you High School Bowling in Florida is a huge success and it draws many kids. For instance, I had more kids on my girls team (for those that don't know, I am a Varsity Bowling Coach) than both tennis teams (or golf teams) combined. This didn't even include the players on the boys side for me.

For those that finish in first or second in their district (as a team), you get the opportunity to participate in the State Tournament. State is held in an 80 lane center and its full, 80 lanes with 8 players on each team.

Just interesting that here in Florida bowling has more participants at the high school level than both golf and tennis yet those sports have much higher pay outs at the top tier.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#185601 - 03/03/14 08:39 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

They want to stay cool there wink

It is interesting, and very encouraging. After the fire on the MI lanes, and the closings of the centers inland and the one in Rockledge, I began to wonder why I just started bowling when the sport is dying.

But it's not dying, as the many adults working with kids can attest. Very encouraging to hear what's going on down there in Florida. Bowling is the perfect sport for this icebox state I live in now wink

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.