BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185327 - 02/21/14 08:01 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review ***** [Re: Joe Bowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
Thanks for the video, Sk8, especially the comparisons. I have the Byte, and I thought that was angular. I was a bit surprised to see the Zero Gravity go longer and turn harder. Nice!
By the way, interesting to see Storm promoting its own Vector Layout System (VLS) over Dual Angle. With Storm's heavy footprint in the industry, I take that as a sign of things to come.

Funny you mention the promotion of the VLS because I have used it for a while now to lay out equipment but I haven't been calling out the numbers with it because most people understand Dual Angle numbers and not the Pin Buffer layouts so thats what I went with.

It was mentioned to me by an employee that it would be nice if I could use the Pin Buffer system (which is no problem) so from now on I will either be calling out both numbers or maybe just transitioning all the way to just Pin Buffer.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185331 - 02/21/14 11:05 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Their suggested layouts that come with each ball have used pin buffer numbers for years. I have tinkered a little with the VLS system, and I like the data that you have to input in order to get a fine-tuned layout for what condition you're going to use the ball.

Bowl up a Storm!

#185349 - 02/22/14 01:35 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
So the Zero Gravity is longer than the Byte? I was pleased with my Byte in that I can play a little more inside on the lighter oil, where I could never really get my Disturbed to turn on those conditions, and my Lucid turned too soon.

I'm curious as to the differences between reactions and length of the new IQ Fusion and this Zero Gravity.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185360 - 02/23/14 12:31 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: SteveH]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: SteveH
So the Zero Gravity is longer than the Byte? I was pleased with my Byte in that I can play a little more inside on the lighter oil, where I could never really get my Disturbed to turn on those conditions, and my Lucid turned too soon.
I'm curious as to the differences between reactions and length of the new IQ Fusion and this Zero Gravity.

Its not so much that the Zero Gravity is "longer" than the Byte (although it is with the Byte scuffed to 1000 grit) its that the Zero Gravity is a similar reaction shape but able to handle more oil than the Byte (with the Byte at box surface).

If you watch my Tour Fusion review and the Zero Gravity review those were both shot on the same day, back to back, so that should give you a really good idea about how different the two really are.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#186197 - 03/25/14 08:52 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
In my PBAX league, we are currently bowling on the 43-foot USBC team pattern. I did well starting off with my HyperCell, rolling in the 260's, but as the lanes transitioned, it was a big step down to the Byte, even at 600 grit. It was just a little late getting to the pocket and I left a lot of 3-7-9's (lefty). This morning, I ordered a Zero G. Below is how I see it fitting into my arsenal.

Outside (earlier and curlier):
Sync @320
IQ Tour (solid) @600
Advantage @1200/polished

Inside (later and more angular):
HyperCell @320
Zero Gravity @600
Byte @1200/polished
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#186198 - 03/25/14 09:08 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Received mine last night and drove straight from the Pro Shop to league where I used it all four games fresh OOB.

It's an interesting ball for sure. We ended up going with a pin-down layout, sorry I don't have the DA or other layout specs but it's a fair bit closer pin-to-pap than my other stuff, I think around 3", no hole.

The ball shows very little flare, I think the rings are even tighter than what I get out of my IQs (solid and pearl). Still gets into a strong roll on a fairly heavy THS though. I didn't shoot the lights out but that's more an Execution thing than anything to do with the ball. It has a less angular move than my other asyms but it has a predictable yet strong arc for me. It's definitely a different ball than what I'm used to and will take a little time to acclimate to, but as it is I did shoot a little bit over my average, and that's with whiffing way too many single pins (I think all 10 pins).

Will be interested to play with surface on it and see how it reacts differently. Bummed that next week is the last week of the season!

#186199 - 03/25/14 09:38 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

I am planning to go Pin Up with mine, using the same aggressive layout as my HyperCell, 68 x 5-7/16 in x 37. For me, that's 6-3/4 Pin to center of thumbhole which helps to maximize the Int Diff (asymmetry), with the Drilling Angle adjusted to minimize bowtie overlap. I hope to see about the same amount of track flare as my IQ Tour (solid).

#186200 - 03/25/14 11:42 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I'm looking at this for my nationals ball- probably this and the Fusion. I'll probably use a shorter pin to PAP measurement with a longer pin to MB and short pin buffer (I don't like to use the general 'pin up' or 'pin down' terms too much, but I see what you're trying to accomplish when those terms are used). I'll fine tune it when it actually arrives on my doorstep. I don't want to get it too soon, or I'll be too tempted to use it a lot before I go, negating some of the "new ball" effect.
The Fusion will probably be drilled fairly similar, but since the surface is going to be different, I'm looking at it for the singles and doubles events at nationals.

Bowl up a Storm!

#186402 - 04/01/14 10:43 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline

Zero Gravity (0G). Got it. Drilled it. Rolled it. Love it.

We bowled our second week on the 43-foot USBC team pattern last night. Lately, I have been carving up a storm (no pun intended). I started off in warm-up and first game with my Sync @320 (target 1 board @40 feet). Once it started rolling a little early, I switched to the HyperCell @320 second game (target 3 board @40 feet). As the lanes opened up, I switched to the 0G @600 third and fourth games (same target 3 board @40 feet, but moving feet and target at arrows inside).

Scores: 195 (Sync), 202 (HyperCell), 239 (0G), 213 (0G)

The 239 game was enough to win the high game pot. Bam! I love it when a ball pays for itself out of the gate. Fourth game, I had another chance, but left and missed an 8 pin (lefty) in the tenth frame. My bad on the miss, but Yeah Baby to see the 0G hit hard enough to leave an 8 pin, when last week I was leaving 3-7-9's without it.

I think I will be liking the 0G as much as the IQ Tour solid, but with a different hook shape for different conditions. It fits right where I thought it would between my HyperCell and Byte among my more angular equipment. Next week, we start on the USBC singles/doubles pattern. With my current arsenal, I have never felt more ready for whatever pattern comes along.

#186423 - 04/01/14 05:35 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
It's a neat ball, honestly I don't get how it seems as strong as it does with a core that seems like it should be so weak. I'm glad I didn't wait so long to jump on this bandwagon like I did with the IQ Tours.

Last night I had three absolute atomic 8-pins all in a row with the 0G. These were bracketed with strikes so what could have been a 5 bagger ended up X 9/ 9/ 9/ X. Got my point anyways... well, got all of them. High game with it so far at 279. The bad news is, last night was the last night of league. Looking into summer league options.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.