BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185272 - 02/19/14 09:18 AM Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review *****
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Here is the video, hope you all enjoy!

IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185276 - 02/19/14 12:24 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Nice vid as always, Sir.

I do want to point out that calling the core the same as the Virtual Gravity is an interesting statement. While I'd agree the shape is about the same or the same, they've tweaked the densities big time. I'd describe it as a "detuned" VG core, less diff, less int diff, higher RG (lots higher!).

When it was announced I said "Who needs this ball?" and now I'm tempted to drop some coin on one and see just how wrong I was (as per usual).

Also, I think I spotted you...
http://wikiDOTbowlingchatDOTnet/wiki/index.php?title=Pros_play_the_inside_of_the_ball (replace the DOTs with . )

#185278 - 02/19/14 01:27 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Looks interesting. Iím a soft touch when it comes to a ball having the word gravity in its name. Most of my honor scores were achieved while using the VG. Unfortunately, the houses Iím in donít put enough oil down for anything too strong unless I play way deep which brings on other problems for me at least. These local 10-10 house conditions that are ALL about high ball speed will eventually drive me to just sport leagues(if available) and maybe then I can start buying equipment like this again.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#185280 - 02/19/14 02:18 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

@Rick, you are correct in that the densities have changed quite a bit, and actually a lot more than I realized until you mentioned it. I knew they were adjusted but I didn't compare them side by side and never noticed how big of a change it was.

As far as shape, this is the closest thing I have thrown in a long time to even being close to the original Virtual Gravity down lane. It handles oil but doesn't lose entry angle in the process, something the Virtual Gravity excelled at.

You are also correct that is my release in those still images, I would think if I did another slow motion release today I bet my hand is quite a bit more inside of the ball as that has been my sole focus over the last year or so.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#185281 - 02/19/14 03:57 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
56bird Offline

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
It reminds me of the IQ Tour series in that Storm/Roto somehow does "more" with what appears to be "less".

When the IQ Tour Edition was announced I thought "Junk, who wants that?" but got a Gold Ball kinda by chance, loved it and now have the solid and love that ball too.

Gives me that suspicion that I'd like this one as well.

Cool to work on changing aspects of your release (whenever I see mine on film, I cringe! Maybe I'll make progress there, someday...) but I wouldn't obsess over it. We don't all have to be Ronnie Russell even if the author of that webpage has a man-crush on him, and to an extent I think it is an advantage to do what comes more naturally. I bet in that photo you're more "inside" the ball than Parker or Norm would tend to be, and those guys don't suck.

#185297 - 02/20/14 11:20 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
mmalsed Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/M/Riverside, CA
Thanks a LOT, Sk8, for showing me yet ANOTHER thing I want to spend money on! LOL

Great vid

16# IQ Tour Pearl/16# Crux/16# Marvel S/15#White Dot

"Gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight"

#185302 - 02/20/14 01:02 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: mmalsed]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: mmalsed
Thanks a LOT, Sk8, for showing me yet ANOTHER thing I want to spend money on! LOL
Great vid

You won't be disappointed, lol!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#185309 - 02/20/14 03:59 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
SteveH Offline

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I'm just getting dizzy at the amount of new balls being introduced now. Lat night was one of my confused bowling nights. My eyes glazed over in the third game as I struck out for a 155 and a 503 series (:

My Wrecker was drifting left and my Byte was missing to the right. In spite of these new balls this month, I'll have to chalk it up to my week arm. I was tempted to think that I needed something lighter than my 15# balls until my arm heeled up, but haven't gone that route yet.

I just wish that we had far more coaches and real ball pros where I live instead of balls salesmen, pushing a new ball for every bad night of bowling.

As I look at all these ball videos, it becomes extremely difficult to relate to them as you have great bowlers throwing strike after strike. I think they'd throw strikes with a granite Fred Flinstone ball LOL

So far, the only video that matched what I've usually done with the ball was the Byte.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185316 - 02/20/14 09:55 PM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: SteveH]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveH
I'm just getting dizzy at the amount of new balls being introduced now. Lat night was one of my confused bowling nights. My eyes glazed over in the third game as I struck out for a 155 and a 503 series (:
My Wrecker was drifting left and my Byte was missing to the right. In spite of these new balls this month, I'll have to chalk it up to my week arm. I was tempted to think that I needed something lighter than my 15# balls until my arm heeled up, but haven't gone that route yet.
I just wish that we had far more coaches and real ball pros where I live instead of balls salesmen, pushing a new ball for every bad night of bowling.
As I look at all these ball videos, it becomes extremely difficult to relate to them as you have great bowlers throwing strike after strike. I think they'd throw strikes with a granite Fred Flinstone ball LOL
So far, the only video that matched what I've usually done with the ball was the Byte.

Steve,

One thing you have to realize about us "great bowlers" is that on camera everyone throws strike after strike with the equipment. We get to edit the footage so obviously the bad shots are removed and the good shots that showcase the ball are kept.

For me I try to get at least 5 good shots with each bowling ball for the review, some times that takes 5 shots to get them but there are times it takes an entire game. It just depends on how the conditions are that day and whether or not I am executing well or not.

I can promise I don't average 300 in league but I am pretty sure I do in the ball reaction videos wink
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#185324 - 02/21/14 04:19 AM Re: Storm Zero Gravity Video Ball Review [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Thanks for the video, Sk8, especially the comparisons. I have the Byte, and I thought that was angular. I was a bit surprised to see the Zero Gravity go longer and turn harder. Nice!

By the way, interesting to see Storm promoting its own Vector Layout System (VLS) over Dual Angle. With Storm's heavy footprint in the industry, I take that as a sign of things to come.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - Yesterday at 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.