BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185188 - 02/15/14 08:41 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
ok good luck with it. i may not get to try it. i've bowled 18 games at a fast pace with the kids and they couldnt hang with me. the thing is there are no callouses or tearing going on even with a marathon like that on dry lanes.

i'm fairly confident of my fits because of this. i would like to know more about the tri-grip and have many older usable balls i can try it on. i'll look around and see if i can find a shop that knows it well enough to drill one.

in the meantime, i'm all ears here.

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185201 - 02/16/14 07:17 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Dennis Michael]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Joe, I posted my PAP movement before. My PAP moved from 4 3/4", up 3/4" to 4 7/8", up 1". For the record.

Secondly, the Tri-grip forces a flatter hand at release. Don't know if it would be good for you as your previous video showed. The ball rests on your big knuckle of your index finger and supported by the tip of your middle finger and the thumb crease. Any, side rotation causes the ball to hang up on your thumb, cause you can't get it out.

Thanks, Dennis. My PAP is already at 6-1/4 left, 1-5/16 up, so I don't need to go any further left or up. But, I am still intrigued. I am also left-handed, right-eye-dominant like Fin, and tend to roll the ball slightly right of where my eyes are looking. Better eye-hand coordination would be a plus. Clearing the thumb more easily on a palm up release would be a plus. But, hanging up on less than perfect shots would not. And, I would still want to be able to vary my axis rotation depending on the lane conditions.

I wonder about the long term benefit of bowlers modifying their release to match their grip. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Or, is Tri-Grip so good that it is corrective? I guess the only way to know for sure would be to try it. For sure, it sounds like it would make for a good spare ball grip/release. So, I think I will order a plastic ball (or hard rubber ball if I can find one) and give it a try.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#185206 - 02/16/14 12:27 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I don't feel like the tri-grip locks me into one release- it works for my A-game release with no effort, but if I set up with my hand at 7 or 8:00 instead of 6, I can still hold it there and clear the thumb. If that's your normal setup, I would think you would have no problem repeating good shots.
Talk to the most qualified driller in your area who is certified to drill these- hopefully it's someone who will be honest with you and tell you who is doing well with it and who isn't. If he tells you that it doesn't work for people who employ a similar release as you (highly doubtful), then pass. But for me, it was worth the cost of re-drilling that first ball to find out.
A friend of mine, who is a few years older than I, needs both knees replaced (retired roofer), and if I'm not mistaken a bone marrow transplant, used to throw a full roller. Worked on a 3/4 release for a few years, and had a ball done with the tri-grip just recently. He's getting a better ball reaction with this grip than I've ever seen him get. He's still pretty limited by his physical condition, but I was amazed at how much better his HyRoad reacted than any of his older equipment. He now finishes with his palm up and thumb pointing left (he's a lefty, too),which he never used to do. Little things like that impress me- someone who can change something that is so ingrained in muscle memory for so long, even after the age of 50.

Get one ball done like this, practice with it for a couple of games, record the practice session if you like, then throw your regular equipment for at least as many games as the tri-grip ball to prevent any long term muscle memory changes. If you like it, get a couple of balls you use in league done, then give it a real test. If you can't clear the ball with different hand positions, then maybe it's not for you. I waited a long time to try the first one, then almost as long to get my other stuff done, so I understand the skepticism. I can find a ball that is pretty close to my span at ball demo days and clear the thumb with no problem, so if you can do that, too, you could make this work.

Bowl up a Storm!

#185209 - 02/16/14 01:01 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline

I decided to order the video and a couple hard rubber test balls.

Reason #1: I will consider it an investment in my future as a Pro Shop operator, even though I am still 10+ years from retiring from my day job. I am impressed that any fitting technique would receive such widespread acceptance. It's always been trial and error for everybody I know. Any tool or technique that speeds the process would be most valuable.

Reason #2: I know at least 3 guys currently struggling with their grip that I may be able to help.

Reason #3: While my thumb is doing great, I have an unresolved issue with inflammation on the first joint of my middle and ring fingers. I posted about it here years ago, but there was not much response. http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthreads.php/topics/95339/Ring_Finger_Knuckle_Bumps.html

I believe it's from coming around the ball and carrying the weight on the sides rather than the pads of my fingers. I have done my best to adjust pitches. They are both reverse and lateral left now (lefty). I don't know if the Tri-Grip will help, but if it reduces stress and inflammation, or helps me get more up the back/inside of the ball, that alone would be worth the price of the video.

#185212 - 02/16/14 04:18 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
When I first inquired about this grip, I went to my regular driller, who said it was a gimmick. I took that as he didn't know how to drill it. I went to another driller, who I know. I was surprised that he showed me all of his equipment drilled with a tri-grip. So, I bought a ball and had it drilled that way.

He also cautioned me about switching between an older ball and the tri-grip ball, as it may cause some confusion. I did just that, switched, and it caused confusion. Won't do that again.

That Driller's shop owner, Tom Carter, PBA member, tried the tri-grip too, and couldn't handle it as he has a lot of side rotation and the ball hung up on him.

I, on the other hand, don't rely on a lot of side rotation. And, after I took some time off waiting for a knee operation, I was turning my wrist uncontrollably. I went to this grip to help retrain staying behind the ball. I think it is working.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#185223 - 02/16/14 11:51 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Dennis Michael]
Gohokies Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50/male/Arlington, Va
Dennis, your posts on this has intrigued me so I was thinking of plugging an old ball and trying it. Called around and none of my local pro shops knew what I was talking about. Disappointment.

#185229 - 02/17/14 12:03 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline

I have watched the Tri-Grip step-by-step instructional video a few times, now. Frankly, there was very little information that I personally consider valuable. And, there are a few facts that other folks should know before jumping on the bandwagon (without giving away any copyrighted material):

1. Tri-Grip does NOT include any method to determine the appropriate span. It only refers to using "standard" measurements for the middle finger, and double checking the span for the ring finger based on what the driller would "normally" drill. Obviously, this could vary from driller to driller.

2. Tri-Grip does NOT include any method to determine the appropriate forward/reverse pitches. It only suggests they should be adjusted for flexibility.

In my opinion, the above two deficiencies make it an incomplete fitting system and subject to significant variation from driller to driller. So, let the buyer beware there will probably still be trial and error to get those specs right. How much trial and error will likely depend on the quality of your Pro Shop.

3. The video does include suggested starting lateral pitches from a Tri-Grip perspective. However, for myself, I already knew from past experience that the suggested lateral thumb pitch would tear mine up. The suggested finger pitches are not much different from my current pitches. So for me, the most valuable part of the video was 1) confirming the direction of my finger pitches, and 2) identifying what starting thumb lateral pitch works best for most other people.

4. One thing I can say without a doubt, after you have one ball drilled following all of the Tri-Grip instructions, it would be easy enough to re-measure the drilled holes using span and pitch gauges that every Pro Shop should have and reproduce the same exact feel in another ball using standard cut-to-cut, center-line measurements. It's a simple matter of perspective. In fact, the video includes instructions to retrace the Tri-Grip layout from a drilled ball. So, if you wanted to compare your before and after Tri-Grip specs, you could do so from either a Tri-Grip or typical drilling perspective. However, you will probably want to stick with the typical measurements, since they do not require any special adjustments to layout a new ball.

Personally, I don't plan to make any changes to my grip at this time. However, if I was drilling a new ball for somebody else, I would be inclined to follow the Tri-grip instructions for their first ball, and tweak it from there. The benefit I see for the masses is a common starting point, and a good step towards a complete fitting system.

#185245 - 02/17/14 10:49 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I was surprised to find out that my spans would not change with this system. Looking at two balls side by side, one with the tri-grip method and one with my standard fit, you'd have to look very closely to see any difference. My grips are turned about 30* or so clockwise, and the tabs in my switch grip, which used to be at 12 and 6, are now at about 1 and 7.
It probably will take some tweaking to get a pitch combination that works. My Pro Shop guy said he doesn't use the suggested finger pitches, but instead uses my standard pitches, albeit rotated however the new configuration dictates. I don't know what my thumb pitch came out as, but I'm not having any trouble holding onto or getting out of the ball, so I'd say it probably didn't change drastically. I'm picking up an extra switch grip thumb slug tomorrow, so I'll ask him how much it changed.

Bowl up a Storm!

#185249 - 02/18/14 12:11 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Picked up a 4th ball drilled this way. It's a light oil ball, which I need. My driller must be a master at this, as the ball feels like a comfortable slipper. No stress. Rolls off the hand so easily.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#185250 - 02/18/14 07:20 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline

I forgot to mention...

5. Tri-Grip does NOT include any method of adjustment if the suggested lateral pitches (or span, or forward/reverse pitches) cause pressure or irritation. So, if your initial Tri-Grip fit does not feel quite right, you are depending on the expertise of your driller to recognize the symptoms and tweak it.

If you look at a typical drill sheet, the specifications include span, forward/reverse, and lateral pitches. That's all a driller needs to know in most cases, unless the drill itself is also used to mill oval fingers and/or thumb, then the angle is required.

So, if Tri-Grip does not provide specifications for span, or forward/reverse pitches, what's left? Lateral pitches and possibly oval angle, but then only as a suggested starting point. There's really not much to Tri-Grip. It's incomplete as a fitting system. So, why the popularity for drillers? Obviously, it's good for business. Why the popularity among bowlers? I have 3 theories:

1. Any change in grip specs will increase a bowler's awareness in how they are coming out of the ball, at least temporarily.

2. Good drillers who learn the Tri-Grip method are probably using the same pitches they already worked out for their clients, just slightly rotated from a Tri-Grip perspective. So, bowlers feel a difference, but not enough to cause any problems. See #1.

3. Bad drillers who learn the Tri-Grip method have a better starting point for lateral pitches, and a new opportunity to fix other customer issues under the banner of providing a new Tri-Grip fit. Since Tri-Grip's instructions are limited to starting lateral pitches and possibly oval angles, any reports of a dramatic improvement could only mean the bowler's previous grip was horribly wrong in the first place.

My advice would be to find the best fitter/driller in your area if you want to make any adjustments to your grip, including trying Tri-Grip. Your success will depend a lot on their overall experience and expertise.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.