BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185426 - 02/24/14 09:40 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I've watched him bowl quite a bit now. Basically he uses his left hand to hold the ball and steady his thumbless release. Not really a two-handed release.

Sometimes, like this past week, it hurts him. But the pin action is phenomenal. And no, it's not an easy thing to do at all. I love it when he's on. I love to watch Weber and Duke as well. The sport needs some excitement.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185437 - 02/25/14 10:03 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I have always said the two handers (the good ones anyways) have a two handed approach with a one handed delivery.

You watch Belmo, Osku, Kyle Troup, etc. and you will see that they all take that left hand off without using it to impart revs on the ball.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#185438 - 02/25/14 11:01 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

I have watched when slow-mo is available, and it's true, the left hand moves to the balance arm. There are quite a few people that don't use there thumbs that could possibly benefit from the same move. It appears to be more about getting back some of the balance and accuracy that the thumbless bowler sometimes has lost.

A member on our league team bowls thumbless, and puts speed and fast revs on the ball. The more I watch him bowl, the more I think his off-balance approach and excess speed is due to having to hold the ball that way. Belmo's method is not flawless by any means, but it's very effective (obviously). The achilles heel is on short patterns and drier, or well-travelled lanes.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185446 - 02/25/14 08:52 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

Is this Smug?

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185447 - 02/25/14 08:56 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185449 - 02/25/14 10:23 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Quote:
Is this Smug?

To me it is. Yes he does bring energy and he is extremely talented. The split conversions are ridiculous, (I've punched 4 through the head pin more times than I would like to and I've only made it twice) but to me his reactions to those splits and the way he acts at other times says "Look at what I just did, I am awesome." It could be a matter of my perception and he is likely not like that in person, but when he is bowling his reactions seem more pompous than energetic to me and it makes me not enjoy watching him bowl.

Mark

#185450 - 02/25/14 10:26 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Is this Smug?

Nope, it's SICK, but, it's so awesome to watch when Belmo is on (and he's been ON for a long time now), and his talent is no mistake. As for the two-handed style, I tried it a few years back and it is NOT easy by any means. First you have to have a lot of hand and wrist strength and heavy fingers to get the rev rate you need, and it's almost impossible without hours of practice to generate the BALL SPEED needed to keep such a powerful shot online without it going high. Bottom line, Belmo and Osku are THE best two-handed players in the world and Belmo is our Player Of The Year.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#185456 - 02/26/14 06:57 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline

Belmo has different reactions for sure. Look at PDW's BAM!! Sean Rash's yelling. They're all different, which makes it kind of fun. Belmo's body language and style remind me a little of Tiger Woods. They Know they're good, and nothing but Number One is acceptable. That's the way they carry themselves. I've always tried to view Pro sports of any kind for what they are, entertainment. Some of the PBA bowlers have all the excitement of a head of lettuce, but I still enjoy watching them bowl, and I love seeing the varying degrees of style.

Belmo and others are great for the game, because they have marketable personalities.

Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185457 - 02/26/14 08:53 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
Originally Posted By: SteveH
Belmo and others are great for the game, because they have marketable personalities.

Trust me, I agree that he is great for the game of bowling and I wish he could bring more attention to the PBA. Not Belmonte's fault, but I do feel that the PBA is in a worse state than during his rookie season. If it was not, this whole thread would not exist.

As for the way bowlers react, I agree that it keeps it interesting to watch and I am entertained by watching it. It also means that there are some athletes/teams in sports I am a fan of and others I am not a fan of. It does not mean I won't watch when Belmonte is bowling or not enjoy shows when he makes the finals because I am a fan of the PBA. I am also a big hockey fan. Sydney Crosby is a very talented, popular player in the NHL who has brought a lot of attention to the NHL. Alexander Ovechkin has done the same. I like Ovechkin but do not like Crosby and I'm not a fan of either the Penguins or the Capitals.

Mark

#185471 - 02/26/14 05:50 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
Some of the PBA bowlers have all the excitement of a head of lettuce

That's what non bowlers think about bowling events in general. Doesn't matter who's bowling to them unless they're hotties wearing bikinis.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.