BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185402 - 02/24/14 12:44 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
... And not just winning, but dominating the sport.

People love to hate dynasties and I think Belmo is quickly putting himself in that category.

People hate the Cowboys because they were dominant in the 90s, people hate the Yankees because they dominated over the years in quite a few different decades. People hated Earnhardt because he was dominant on the NASCAR circuit and now they hate Jimmie Johnson. Belmo is mostly hated because he wins, and people decide they don't like him because he is two handed but in all reality they don't like him because he is a champion.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185405 - 02/24/14 01:53 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: sk8shorty01]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I personally do not like Belmo, but it has nothing to do with him winning or the fact that he bowls two-handed. I was a Walter Ray fan when he was running over people in the 90's. I was a Earnhardt fan when I started following Nascar in the late 80's/early 90's. I also like and will pull for Osku to win when he is on TV. I just do not like Belmo's personality. I will never say that he not extremely talented because that is not true.

Mark

#185406 - 02/24/14 02:11 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: Mkirchie]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
I personally do not like Belmo, but it has nothing to do with him winning or the fact that he bowls two-handed. I was a Walter Ray fan when he was running over people in the 90's. I was a Earnhardt fan when I started following Nascar in the late 80's/early 90's. I also like and will pull for Osku to win when he is on TV. I just do not like Belmo's personality. I will never say that he not extremely talented because that is not true.
Mark

Out of curiosity what is it about his personality you don't like?

Not arguing, just curious, as I personally think he has one of the best personalities on tour.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#185407 - 02/24/14 02:33 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: sk8shorty01]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

No problem, I know you are not being argumentative. Keep in mind that I've never met him in person, so my impression only comes from watching him bowl on TV. When I watch him bowl, he comes off as being smug to me and it rubs me the wrong way. It makes me not enjoy watching him bowl even though what he can do is remarkable. If I did have an opportunity to meet him in person, my impression probably would be a bit different based on the positive things about him I have heard from others.

Mark

#185408 - 02/24/14 03:04 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: Mkirchie]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
When I watch him bowl, he comes off as being smug to me and it rubs me the wrong way

+1
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#185409 - 02/24/14 03:51 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
From the PBA's perspective, fans feeling strongly for or against a bowler is good since they are either going to root for or against them. It's viewers that don't care that don't watch that don't help.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#185414 - 02/24/14 04:35 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
The personality thing is funny really. Belmo's the handsome guy, fairly well-spoken, and he's there to win. A good analogy would be Jeff Gordon in NASCAR. He didn't come from the right training grounds, didn't run moonshine, and he could talk well. He's another handsome guy that sticks out from the crowd. Oh, and worst of all, the SOB won! LOL

Just look at the smug bowlers on the PBA tour. Pete Weber comes to mind, but in the same way, I love watching him and Belmo because they don't sit around on a log staring. Makes the game more interesting for me.

The only one that irritates me is Sean Rash. I know he's just being hyper-competitive, but it's not fun to watch him, unless he's losing LOL I don't hate him, it's just part of the game. One of the best things that's happened to golf over the last decade plus is the influx of hyper-competitive athletes and big personalities. I still love the older guys as well, but I'd rather see Phil, Rory and the brighter personalities than Davis Love the smug zzz and others like him.

But that's what draws crowds.

It's now the Lucky Strikes and the flashy lane centers that have done remarkable things to attract people to bowling, or just get people near the sport. Whether they bowl or not, you'll attract far more people with Bemo, Sean Rash and some others like Pete Weber than you ever will with Walter Ray. You Need the mix.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185415 - 02/24/14 05:08 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Originally Posted By: SteveH
Just look at the smug bowlers on the PBA tour. Pete Weber comes to mind, but in the same way, I love watching him and Belmo because they don't sit around on a log staring.

That is interesting because I do not see much similarity at all between Weber and Belmonte when they are bowling. I like watching Weber bowl, he is an intense bowler and Belmonte is intense too, but in different ways. Also, I still have the perception that Belmonte is smug when he is bowling well and Weber is not. I like watching pros that do get animated like Weber and others when they bowl, they have always been my favorite bowlers to watch on TV. I could deal with Rash's intensity if he turned it down a few (or many) levels.

Mark

#185419 - 02/24/14 05:41 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
Fully understand what you mean. Sometimes it's better in small doses. When I think I'm overboard after a front 4 or 5, most people think I fell asleep wink But it's good for the fans to get a show if they can have one.

Hey, I have the perfect solution to the PBA issues of marketing and awareness.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185424 - 02/24/14 07:03 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
mfreeman73 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/Long Island
I may not care too much for the 2-handed technique, but I do think Belmo has been good for the sport. I tried not to like him because of the whole 2-handed "non-pure" technique, but the guy comes off as a likable person and it makes me want to root for him. Also, he's really good, which brings some excitement.

I was at the USBC Masters yesterday and Belmo brought much more excitement than the other guys did. Although, I did think Ryan Ciminelli was fun, too. Tom Smallwood looked angry (although, I just think he looks like that naturally), Haugen is boring to watch, and EJ Tackett looked like a scared little kid (which may be kind of accurate). But, Belmo really brought the crowd to life and he seems like a nice guy.

In fact, when I watch bowling, I'm always more excited when I see that either Weber or Belmo is on there. And to a certain extent, Sean Rash. Mainly because I know it's going to be more entertaining to watch. That doesn't mean that everyone in the PBA has to act like that. If it comes off as fake, that will turn people off. But, we need more personality in the people competing.

Actually, I think the TV shows have been pretty good the past few years (that's as long as I've been watching). I remember attempting to watch bowling back in the 90's and I was pretty bored. So, I think the show has actually gotten more entertaining. I think the PBA is still inheriting a problem from the past. When I told a friend the other day that I was going to the Masters, he said, "why? watching bowling is so boring." I asked him if he had watched bowling in the near past and he said "no." And to be honest, I felt the same way before I started watching. Once I started watching it, I kept thinking, "why didn't I start watching this sooner?" It wasn't that I was anti-bowling. It's just that the thought of actually watching it on TV, just didn't cross my mind. And I didn't know any of the stars.

Sure, there are a various list of issues that the PBA will have to deal with, but I think the marketing part is the biggest challenge. They need to somehow get the word out that this is not the same bowling that your parents watched on TV when they were younger. They need to find a way to market the great players they have and the excitement of watching competitive bowling. Now, how to market that? Not, sure, but they have a built-in potential market at the bowling alleys across the U.S. If you can get the casual bowlers interested in the PBA, I think that would be a start. And the more people watching the PBA, the more they may want to go to their local bowling alley to bowl. I know it makes me want to bowl and get better. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.