BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185319 - 02/20/14 11:01 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Interesting article by Jeff Richgels over at 11th Frame on this subject. He has an interesting idea on how to save bowling. Worth a read.

http://www.11thframe.com/news/article/6442

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#185321 - 02/20/14 11:59 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I would personally like to see more personality from the bowlers. They seem a little boring to me. I love when PDW is on. I love when Sean Rash goes against Belmonte. I think they need rivalries like that. I think they need some bowlers to really not like each other. They need a handful of bowlers to really dominate. People like dynasties. If Rash and Belmonte can continue to dominate and they can really display their dislike for each other, it makes for good TV. People love to argue about the Yankees and the Red Sox. Celtics-Lakers, Bird-Magic, Russell-Wilt.

People loved Tiger because not only was he great, he had personality, and he dominated. He showed emotion. He had a killer instinct. I don't want to see a gentlemen athlete. I want my Giants to crush the Cowboys. I want Ewing to finally beat MJ. rivalries make sports. PDW against Walter Ray made for good TV.
I think they are trying to mimic that with Rash and Belmonte, but they need to dominate. Be obviously head and shoulders above the rest. Like Phil and Tiger.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#185323 - 02/21/14 02:50 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
B-Hammer Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 30/M/Bellingham WA
I know the stakes are higher, but curling in the winter olympics is really great TV. I wasn't even watching a US vs. (other) match, it was on a Canadian broadcast, but even without any patriotism at stake it still made for great TV. In many ways it is like bowling, but maybe it's the team aspect or the different strategy involved, but for whatever reason I like watching it.

The PBA league is OK, but would like to see formats that forced some kind of strategic usage of the bench. If your going to do multiple games then limit the number of frames each bowler can bowl and also force each bowler to bowl a minimum of a certain amount of frames. If you have to bowl 5 games and each bowler can only bowl 10 frames then maybe you save your best bowler for the last two frames of each match, or maybe you save them for the last match entirely. If you have someone that isn't striking maybe they are used to make all the spares. Save the lefty for when the right side is fried. etc.

#185325 - 02/21/14 04:39 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: wronghander]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: svengali
Interesting article by Jeff Richgels over at 11th Frame on this subject. He has an interesting idea on how to save bowling. Worth a read.

http://www.11thframe.com/news/article/6442

+1. Fundamental problems need to be addressed at the fundamental level. While each organization has its own interests, the BPAA, USBC, and PBA working together would help bowling not only survive, but prosper.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#185328 - 02/21/14 08:19 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: SteveH
I think both your tone of voice, and ability to breakdown something complex and make it understandable could be of value to most bowlers.

I think being a High School Coach and Youth Director have both helped me learn to break things down and explain them so anyone can understand them. I try to be as informative as I can without overwhelming the viewer so I appreciate knowing that is getting across in the videos correctly.

Thanks again!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#185337 - 02/21/14 07:28 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
I've seen a lot of your videos on ball reviews sk8, and they're very descriptive and easy to follow. I'd give you a spot that shows an average bowler what he just did wrong due to lane conditions or release.
There was a match a few weeks ago where even I understood what had happened as a bowler continued to drift headpin, then left. It took Randy a frame or two to note that the bowler had changed balls And moved left. He's more like a weatherman that gives you the forecast for today, tomorrow. Occasionally he says something informative, but those are rare moments.
I think both your tone of voice, and ability to breakdown something complex and make it understandable could be of value to most bowlers.

Randy is one big reason why I have no interest in watching the PBA broadcasts anymore. I think you hit it on the head with your weatherman analogy. Randy just has no idea how to relate the skills needed to be a top competitor to the average viewer, let alone a viewer that has no knowledge of the sport (such as kids).

Nelson Burton Jr., who I grew up on, was a master at that. Bowling needs to start with finding the next Bo.

Edited by Dan300 (02/21/14 07:29 PM)
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#185340 - 02/22/14 03:45 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 45 m
I think the PBA tour TV casts are great, and that the brains power behind are doing their best.. However , like VVF57 said earlier there is a serious lack of interest in bowling in general.. That is the key here, to get people aware of Pro Bowling and creating that buzz where the average joe gets his buddies together and join a league.. Bowling has to increase its numbers, beginning with the kids!

Get the tour away from Monday night football to start also!

#185343 - 02/22/14 09:25 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I have limited experience elsewhere, but here is seems to be pretty strong. There were five centers here for years, now down to two. The largest is 36 lanes, and they've done a ton of marketing and promotion to build up their leagues and party fillers. There's a line out the door sometimes after our Friday league for younger people coming in, college-age and up.

I know many guys that play in men's leagues that also are involved with softball and other team sports. Some of our leaves take all 36 lanes, seniors leaves in the morning are nearly full, and the junior program is fairly large Saturday mornings.

They have gone out and actively marketed groups, schools, colleges. Their competitors are still literally living in the 60's and 70's. Quite a contrast to see a family business with a tired attitude versus a once family operation that is now an acquiring corporation.

TV is a huge avenue for attracting new bowlers, especially here in the arctic north. I've watched the streaming for this Masters tournament, and it's pretty good.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#185347 - 02/22/14 10:06 AM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: SteveH]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
I have Xtra Frame on now. It's nice to see the broken down lane conditions, some pro bowlers bowling miserably. After my performance, last night, makes me feel a little bit better.

A 159 bowled !!
I haven't seen so many splits and left spares since galactic bowling on NY Eve.

...and I'll bet that there are a few of us (not me) naive bowling fans (mainly some of us giddy league players) who think "oh I can beat 159, I can whoop Belmo's/PDW/Sean Rash (rear end) with that".

The very problem with that theory is Belmo/PDW/Sean Rash got that 159 on a PBA lane condition, which usually incorporates a more equal, gutter-to-gutter oil pattern (covering all 39 boards on about a 1-1 or 2-1 shot as opposed to a up-to-a-10-1 house shot).

...that is the main problem with the telecasts is that the average league player like myself thinks we can throw the same shot as the touring players do (18-19 MPH/400-500 RPM, covering 15-17 boards from laydown spot to the breakpoint and back to the pocket), when in all actuality we know we can't.

One thing Bo Burton did so well on the ABC telecasts in the 1980s and 1990s is educate the viewers at home (most of us league players as well as kids at the time) about the difference between a PBA lane condition and your typical house shot so their is no confusion when (i.e.) when you see a PBA player on TV bowl a 150 on his first ever show, so we at home don't get the mistake that we can "beat him" in our league when they aren't bowling on our lane conditions in the first place.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#185348 - 02/22/14 12:11 PM Re: The dismal state of the PBA as it stands right now [Re: BIGHMW]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I never have had the thought that I could beat any of them, on any lane condition. It's been interesting to learn more about the different conditions, and fascinating to see the Xtra frame. Just watched Smallwood blow out Belmonte, and then lose the pocket in the next match. It makes me be a little less hard on myself knowing these guys have issues too.

I'm sure I'll never see it here in Vermont, but it would be nice to see touring pros come around and show us what they can do, and get some first-class instruction. I'd travel to see it as well. Set up an open type match on a THS pattern. Then do a PBA pattern. They'd blow us out most of the time for sure, badly wink

We've had one Storm demo day, and it was well-run. I bought my Lucid that day, plus an IQ Tour for the GF. The rest of the demo days are more like when they sell wine on sale from a trailer truck. Hurry up and buy, we're on to the next venue.

All it takes is time and money. I wish I lived in an area where the economics make it possible.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.