BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184404 - 01/21/14 04:28 PM Need help staying behind the ball
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Kiel, Germany
Hey guys,

first of all some things about me:
I bowl only one league and its not a very hard one, but I am still struggeling as of late.
I don't care much about the mighty revs and am more interested in playing the outside part of the lane.
Here in northern germany I do not have access to quality coaching, which is very sad.

Now to something completely different wink
I went bowling today and took some videos, since the house was pretty empty.
It's obvious, that there are a lot of things, that need work.
Such as my late timing and overly long last step before the slide.

All that, for me, is a thing to work on another day.

Right now I really need your help in staying behind (and more under) the ball.
My fear is, that it's cause by something else that needs correction. Something I am not aware interacts with this problem.

If you have any idea I really would appreciate your comments and if possible some training suggestions to correct this problem.

Thanks in advance

P.S.:
Here are the videos, that legitimize me posting in the video section

Edited by FruitFly (01/21/14 04:31 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#184409 - 01/21/14 05:20 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Hey fruitfly, the first thing I notice and is probably the culprit in most everyone trying to get better at bowling... Timing, and with that your approach, you have a stutter step in there. Your steps must be fluid, not forced. Some like the foul line trick, some don't... Start from the foul line your back to the pins and walk towards the sitting area. Have someone mark your fourth or fifth step (however many you take in your approach). Go an extra six inches further from wherever your preferred step landed. Try that and then adjust from there.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix without your timing being correct.

Edited by AmpleSound (01/21/14 05:23 PM)
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#184412 - 01/21/14 06:56 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
Right now I really need your help in staying behind (and more under) the ball.

What helped me is focusing on the position of my hand at follow-thru. Once I got the feel and was able to control the reflex of turning with the ball it all came together. You can put white tape on the back of your hand while trying to finish palm-up. If you see the tape at follow-thru/release consider that bad. Keep practicing and once you get the feel of a palm up release it will just fall in to place and you can refine releases from there.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#184430 - 01/22/14 07:45 AM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: VFF57]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks Ample, my timing sucks, I know.
The problem is, that my "power step" since the beginning of my bowling career was my longest step.
I always had a very round approach with no acceleration whatsoever. So fluidity meant very low ball speed for me.
The current stutter step is me trying to get to a shorter power step.

The startingpoint trick was used by me and I start around that area. It's quite a good trick, but I tend to tense up a lot, which chages my steps a bit.

@VFF57
Great idea, thanks.
I love using props. Will definitely try this one on the next training day.

#184494 - 01/23/14 05:26 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN

High series 810
Current ave. 213

#184501 - 01/23/14 11:53 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: spr3wr]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks

#184524 - 01/24/14 12:57 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
Richard Symms Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 71/M/Washington
I learned to change and improve my step by watching my feet over and over till it became second nature. Don't worry about the score just your steps and learning to be balanced at the delivery. Use your balance arm and leg properly.

#184687 - 01/28/14 10:37 PM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
swingset Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 42, Male, Granville Ohio
I think an easy way to remove that awkward stutter step is to take a fluid, conscious "tightrope" step with your right foot on the third step (make it land directly in front of your left foot). It kind of gets over there out of the way, but not quite enough and the stutter step is impeding it.

That can also open up two other mechanical advantages...opening your shoulders and allowing a more fluid backswing, and thus (as you're aiming for) a more natural feeling position behind the ball.

If you start your approach with your right shoulder back a few degrees (pull the ball in towards your waist a touch in your stance), this sets up that open shoulder motion. If you take a pronounced 3rd step in front of the left foot, you'll be perfectly aligned for a free swing down lane.

Then, with your arm more free, visualize keeping in the inside of your elbow pointed towards the pins as you come through on your release...this forces the hand to stay behind the ball.

Some coaches suggest pointing your index finger down the lane from under the ball and bring it through on release...also forcing the hand behind/under the ball, but this is a cupping/rev motion and may not feel natural to you.

You have great balance at the line and a pretty smooth swing, which is 9/10ths of the battle.

BTW, loved bowling when I was in Germany! My extended family is from Heidelberg and took me bowling whenever I visited.

#184697 - 01/29/14 09:21 AM Re: Need help staying behind the ball [Re: FruitFly]
FruitFly Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks, these are quite elaborate tips.
I'll try to them as soon as possible.
It's so hard to get better at this point without good hands on coaching frown

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.