BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184343 - 01/20/14 05:35 PM one throw from TheBigCat...help?
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 63/M/Huntington Woods, MI.
my buddy grabbed one shot on his phone while we were open bowling...(i remember it wasn't one of my better shots).
i've been bowling for 50 years, but never saw myself bowl before.

i noticed two things i don't like right away, but i've seen some awesome advise here, and with me slumping lately, i could use any help at all...

what i see is i've completely abandoned the use of my balance arm, which i learned before this season began, and was bowling much better then than now. gotta remember that!
and...it looks to me like i'm way too upright. i think i need some knee-bend?
i know my steps are weird...real long 1st step, long 2nd step, but that's just how i've always bowled. don't know if i want to play around with that. my timing and balance are (i think) pretty good.
i'm not horrible now (about a 215/220 bowler...but compete evenly in tournaments with guys whose league average is always higher than mine), but i'm always trying to improve.
thanks in advance, if anyone has any ideas/thoughts/suggestions...
Mark

edit:
was hoping the video would show in the post...not just the link. i guess i don't know how to do that...sorry.
frown

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#184350 - 01/20/14 07:06 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: TheBigCat]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Originally Posted By: TheBigCat

edit:
was hoping the video would show in the post...not just the link. i guess i don't know how to do that...sorry.
frown

Don't worry about that. I think it will automatically embed after a few hours.
HS:763

#184351 - 01/20/14 07:20 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: Calvin Pistorio
Originally Posted By: TheBigCat

edit:
frown

Don't worry about that. I think it will automatically embed after a few hours.

thx...hope so...
smile

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#184354 - 01/20/14 07:44 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: TheBigCat]
champ Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 32/M/AZ
Well I'm no coach, but the only thing I notice is what you already mentioned...you're very "tall" through the approach. If you had some knee bend, you'd get the ball onto the lane more cleanly, with more leverage, and your carry percentage would go up.

I suffer from the very same issue. For some reason, despite strength exercises and stretches, I get very little knee bend (I guess I'm just a stiff guy.) If you figure out how to get lower, let me know.

USBC Open personal bests: 226/602/1690
USBC Open career average: 174.66 (45 Games)

See you in Reno 2020!

#184355 - 01/20/14 07:52 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: champ]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: champ
Well I'm no coach, but the only thing I notice is what you already mentioned...you're very "tall" through the approach. If you had some knee bend, you'd get the ball onto the lane more cleanly, with more leverage, and your carry percentage would go up.

I suffer from the very same issue. For some reason, despite strength exercises and stretches, I get very little knee bend (I guess I'm just a stiff guy.) If you figure out how to get lower, let me know.

in my case, i'm just old and weak...especially my legs. they're like pencils. gotta do some squats...get back some power that i used to have when i worked out (before i had kids and got tired all the time).
smile

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#184361 - 01/20/14 10:12 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: TheBigCat]
Mkirchie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/New Jersey
I agree about using the balance arm, I noticed a huge difference when I focused on correctly using mine since I never knew how to for a long time. I don't have any other advice, but I did notice that mrbowling300 posted the video on youtube for you. I've watched many of the old PBA shows that he has posted and I greatly appreciate being able to see things I never saw or relive the ones that I had seen.

Mark

#184377 - 01/21/14 08:24 AM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: Mkirchie]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: Mkirchie
I agree about using the balance arm, I noticed a huge difference when I focused on correctly using mine since I never knew how to for a long time. I don't have any other advice, but I did notice that mrbowling300 posted the video on youtube for you. I've watched many of the old PBA shows that he has posted and I greatly appreciate being able to see things I never saw or relive the ones that I had seen.

Mark

yep...lotsa cool stuff on his website. we were open bowling, and he snagged the vid. of me throwing one ball.
i had a real camera with me, but it was obvious from the first frame that he 'didn't have it' that night, so i never broke out the camera. he's a better bowler than i am...but not that night.
smile

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#184493 - 01/23/14 05:14 PM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: TheBigCat]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
What problems are you having? What i see is that your setup looks real good. Your push away goes outside your right knee too much. You should try to keep the ball inline with your head.Your timing looks real good (as much as I can tell from a back view). Your step looks good. I like the forward tilt and lean going into the slide. During the release your move your head a little to the left (try to keep your head over the ball)and you raise up a little. Try not to get too much fingers into the shot.
Overall looks real good. Anything new or different done to your bowling equipment?
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#184504 - 01/24/14 03:58 AM Re: one throw from TheBigCat...help? [Re: spr3wr]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

Originally Posted By: spr3wr
What problems are you having? What i see is that your setup looks real good. Your push away goes outside your right knee too much. You should try to keep the ball inline with your head.Your timing looks real good (as much as I can tell from a back view). Your step looks good. I like the forward tilt and lean going into the slide. During the release your move your head a little to the left (try to keep your head over the ball)and you raise up a little. Try not to get too much fingers into the shot.
Overall looks real good. Anything new or different done to your bowling equipment?

Hey
thanks!!
not really having any problems...well...a little inconsistent. too many bad games thrown into the mix.
i was just hoping someone would spot some areas in need of work, and you've done that. i really appreciate that!
i see the 'loop' in the push-away you mentioned. i never would have caught that...and it can most definitely cause bad shots, which, naturally, cause bad scores. that will be corrected.
the other tips you mentioned...i like those, too. will be working on them, also.

my equipment doesn't really change much...i go through a lot of bowling balls, but i like fresh stuff, and do well enough that my bowling pretty much pays for itself, equipment included.
you can see that i stick mostly (not 100%) to symetrical, rolly-poly stuff. the C300s are all layed-out just a little bit strong, and the Ebonites just a little weak.

thanks again!!!!!!!
smile
Mark

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.