BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184148 - 01/15/14 01:11 PM Tri-Grip
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Has anyone else had anything drilled using Bill Hall's Tri-Grip method? I had my Lucid redrilled with this, and I like it.

Find Bill Hall tri grip on you tube- there's a quick 2-3 minute video on the highlights. Pro shops are spending $200 to learn how to use this method. Everyone I've talked to that has had stuff drilled this way has really liked the results.

Bowl up a Storm!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#184152 - 01/15/14 03:23 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I would love to try it out but I can't see spending $200 just to do a test and see how it works and post a review about the method.

No local shops near me use it (that I am aware of) so I have no way to give an opinion.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#184153 - 01/15/14 03:24 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Hmmm makes perfect sense, though that video needs some pep. lol

Looks like there's one Pro Shop in Denver that has trained in this method. Might be worth a look.

What are some points with this layout? Is it just an all around smoother release? Better fit/feel? More info would be great. smile
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#184177 - 01/16/14 06:34 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
I would be curious to know more. It seems like a combination of grip and layout specs to help balance the weight of the ball in the hand. Getting the grip right to the 1/16 inch has always been a trial and error process since fitting balls are not designed to be rolled. Balancing the ball in the hand is something I have been doing for years to the level of detail of selecting the proper Pin to CG length with the balance hole location in mind in order to target the final drilled weights. I would be surprised if there was something new in the video worth $200. But, it's possible.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#184178 - 01/16/14 08:32 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The biggest issue I have is simply that there isn't any info at all on what the tri-grip is so its hard to justify spending that money to blindly hope you learn something.

I really like Bill Hall, so don't take it the wrong way, I just wish there was more information on what the tri-grip was all about and maybe how it helps a bowler without giving away the method behind it. If there was enough info to make me understand what it was without me being able to duplicate it, I might be able to make a more educated decision on my purchase.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#184250 - 01/17/14 09:39 PM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Yikes.. Dry video. Why do you like it Fin? What advantage do you feel it give you? Agree with previous posts... would be hard to spend a bunch of money based on blind faith... but interesting. Thanks

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#184259 - 01/18/14 11:44 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

I agree that it's awfully difficult to stay awake through the first minute or two of that video- he'd probably make a great hypnotist.
I only have about 3 or so games in with the one ball I've had done, and I'm happy with the results so far. I stuck with the ball longer than I should have in league, resulting in probably the worst game I've shot in a couple of years, so I'm curious what the right ball for the condition would have let me do.
I feel like I get a little higher rev rate with no added effort, which may not be of much benefit to me, as I do fine in that area as it is. It does balance the ball in my hand a little differently, as more of the weight feels like it's on the pad below my index finger, where it's always been balanced between my middle and ring fingers. As long as I don't try to do too much to the ball, as I think I did the game where I should have put the ball away, the ball comes off my hand even cleaner than usual.
Jeff Richgels blogged about it a few months ago, and he said it helped alleviate a lot of the pain he experiences when he bowls. He tells the story about breaking his wrist as a kid, and not having it treated for a week. OUCH. The doctor said in order for it to heal properly, they would have to re-break it and set it correctly. Well, that sounded really painful, so he chose not to go that route, and regrets it to this day, as bowling has caused him quite a bit of pain ever since. He gives a really nice review of his experience with a couple of balls drilled this way, and promised a follow-up blog entry on the subject, but I never went to look to see if he has written that follow-up.
I don't have any serious wrist or hand issues, so I'm not looking for that magic remedy for arthritis or carpal tunnel, but one thing that I was told by the first guy in my area who started to drill stuff this way (Gary Faulkner at BowlersEdge Pro Shop in Norfolk Va- he's done a few Storm ball reviews- look for him on YouTube) that he hits his target more often with this fit. It helps prevent you from turning your elbow and hand towards the inside, so you don't pull shots inside. He's got probably the smoothest game I've ever seen anyway, so anything that helps make him better is just scary for everyone else around here. He wins just about every sport shot scratch tournament around here, and has a couple of regional titles. Joe, he made match play at the Masters when you were there.
Right now I'm still kind of in the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" stage with this, so I recommend doing a lot of your own research on this- I don't suggest going out and spending $200 on Bill's video until you are comfortable with this, but if you do, I think you'll be able to recoup your cost within the first couple of weeks, as you will be able to sell this on new drillings and re-drills.
If you look at the ball I had done next to one that hasn't, you won't be able to tell the difference unless you look really close. Yes, the pitches are slightly different (Bill recommends a starting point for pitches that kind of over-standardizes them in my opinion- I'm using the same basic pitches in my fingers, just rotated slightly), and the grips now face about 1/2" left of my thumb hole. If you take the slug out of my switch grip sleeve, you'll now see the notches, which would line up with the bridge on my old stuff, now line up just outside my middle finger. It's a subtle change, and if your equipment fits you well now, you may not notice much until you get the ball into your swing and throw a few shots. I felt a difference when I would switch back to my old equipment, but only that I felt like I had to focus on keeping my hand behind the ball a little more, whereas it kind of just stayed there when I threw the tri-grip ball.
I think I'm going to get one or two more done this way, and report back on my experience. Just having one like this doesn't let me change to something else when the lanes start to break down.

Bowl up a Storm!

#184331 - 01/20/14 09:00 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

I checked Jeff Richgels' blog after I posted that lengthy entry the other day, and he did do a couple of follow ups. I recommend you read them, but essentially, it said that it worked really well for him- perhaps too well. It allowed him to stay behind the ball while reducing the amount of pain that he normally felt while bowling, but that the other side of his wrist (the thumb side) was giving him trouble. He emphasized the wrist fracture from his childhood and the poor decision he made in not having it treated properly, as well as the 3 surgeries he has had on it as the cause for the pain, not the tri-grip fit.

Bowl up a Storm!

#184332 - 01/20/14 09:12 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Fin, are you able to share your before and after grip specs?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#184335 - 01/20/14 10:21 AM Re: Tri-Grip [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

Not yet- I want to get those, though, and when I do, I'll share them here.

Bowl up a Storm!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.