BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184199 - 01/16/14 04:29 PM Da' Bear ---oil pattern
BowlerBill Online   content
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 55/m/Ca
My brother's league put down the bear pattern last night in their sport league. He and everyone else struggled, as expected, with this pattern. They tried carving a pattern up the 10 board but it didn't seem to work very well. There was one guy swinging it from inside to the outside. He didn't think he had the right ball for it.

What is the best type of ball to use for this pattern and what line should they use?

He's currently 4th in the league in average and points won so he's doing pretty good.

Thanks

HS 805 (250, 300, 255) (non-sanctioned)
746 (267, 257, 222) (sanctioned)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#184207 - 01/16/14 05:30 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: BowlerBill]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 63/M/Huntington Woods, MI.
Originally Posted By: BowlerBill
My brother's league put down the bear pattern last night in their sport league. He and everyone else struggled, as expected, with this pattern. They tried carving a pattern up the 10 board but it didn't seem to work very well. There was one guy swinging it from inside to the outside. He didn't think he had the right ball for it.

What is the best type of ball to use for this pattern and what line should they use?

He's currently 4th in the league in average and points won so he's doing pretty good.

Thanks

whoa...that looks like, umm, uh...a bear.
i've never had to bowl on it, but just from reading about it for a couple minutes, my plan going in would be...
to use my ball that covers the fewest boards (Arson Low Flare), come right up the back of the ball (again...to cut down on how many boards i'm covering), and try to play as far right as i could get away with.

that would be my plan going in (i'm about a 220 bowler with med-high revs, and med-low speed). i'm sure other bowlers would have a different plan...

EDIT:
it just occurred to me (i'm not real bright) a better answer likely would come from someone that's actually bowled on the thing.
rotfl

Edited by TheBigCat (01/16/14 05:40 PM)
Edit Reason: added logic

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#184219 - 01/17/14 10:33 AM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: BowlerBill]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The idea is that nothing is going to hook much on Bear so you want to be using a ball that responds to friction quickly (IQ Tour Pearl, Marvel Pearl, Byte) and transitions quickly from skid, through hook, and into roll.

You want to play as close to the head pin as possible, around 15 at the arrows and a break point about 15 as well. Anything more than that and you are just giving away the pocket.

Another line might be to play closer to second arrow but you have to point the ball at the headpin so you want your break point again to be somewhere in the 13-15 range.

Playing straight up 10 won't work, there is too much volume and too much length for that to be a feasible option.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#184227 - 01/17/14 12:30 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: BowlerBill]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
The bear is a flat 40 feet oil pattern. The emphasis is on Execution. It is often compared to the U.S. Open pattern. Since there is no free friction outside, you have to look for friction at the end of the pattern. It helps to think of the 10 board as the gutter. Thus, you see the problem playing straight up 10. Generally, you want to be inside of that. However, if you can get the bowlers on your pair to cooperate in carving a friction spot early, that will be helpful. Try to stay straight up the back of the ball as long as possible and focus on repeating shots. Make all your spares, catch a double or triple, and you will most likely post a winning score.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#184230 - 01/17/14 01:25 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
The idea is that nothing is going to hook much on Bear so you want to be using a ball that responds to friction quickly (IQ Tour Pearl, Marvel Pearl, Byte) and transitions quickly from skid, through hook, and into roll.
You want to play as close to the head pin as possible, around 15 at the arrows and a break point about 15 as well. Anything more than that and you are just giving away the pocket.
Another line might be to play closer to second arrow but you have to point the ball at the headpin so you want your break point again to be somewhere in the 13-15 range.
Playing straight up 10 won't work, there is too much volume and too much length for that to be a feasible option.

My apologies, I accidentally was thinking about the Badger Pattern which is 52' in length.

Joe's information is correct, sorry for the confusion.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#184234 - 01/17/14 02:46 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: sk8shorty01]
TheBigCat Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 63/M/Huntington Woods, MI.

My apologies, I accidentally was thinking about the Badger Pattern which is 52' in length.

whew!,
my 'plan' (see above...Arson Low Flare) wouldn't have worked real well on the 52' pattern.
wink
i did bowl a senior scratch tournament on the Badger, and did pretty well. qualified 6th, despite a 130 in the 6th (last) game of qualifying. (277 in game 5...who does that...277-130???)
i used a Vivid, that i dulled up so much it didn't even reflect light...at all..in fact, it barely even looked like a bowling ball. i just played the oil...about 15/16 out to only about 12/13, and had the best 'look' in the field (so i was told, by the guys that actually know something about bowling...as opposed to me, who just goes out there and wings it)

Edited by TheBigCat (01/17/14 02:56 PM)
Edit Reason: added stuff

Rave
Dare Devil
Fanatic
Edge solid
Code Black
Fanatic SS
Scandal Pearl
Grudge
Mix (spare ball)

#184247 - 01/17/14 08:43 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: TheBigCat]
Team USA Contender

TheBigCat, I appreciate your input. Thanks

#184248 - 01/17/14 08:48 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: Joe Bowler]
Team USA Contender

Originally Posted By: Joe Bowler
The bear is a flat 40 feet oil pattern. The emphasis is on execution. It is often compared to the U.S. Open pattern. Since there is no free friction outside, you have to look for friction at the end of the pattern. It helps to think of the 10 board as the gutter. Thus, you see the problem playing straight up 10. Generally, you want to be inside of that. However, if you can get the bowlers on your pair to cooperate in carving a friction spot early, that will be helpful. Try to stay straight up the back of the ball as long as possible and focus on repeating shots. Make all your spares, catch a double or triple, and you will most likely post a winning score.

JoeBowler, That's good advice. I'll pass it along. He's very consistent on hitting his target and can change speeds when necessary. He is good at converting spare shots unless they are big splits. He mentioned one guy on the other team was throwing across the headpin with a big hook. He thought this might have been causing problems with the line they were trying to play. Bill

#184249 - 01/17/14 08:52 PM Re: Da' Bear ---oil pattern [Re: sk8shorty01]
Team USA Contender

\
Sk8Shorty01, No problem. Your badger strategy sounds exactly like what he does. He really likes the IQ Tour Pearl ball. Thanks for the info.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.