BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184057 - 01/13/14 12:43 AM Japan Cup
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
A few things stood out to me watching today's telecast-

1- EJ Tackett throws it great, and can go as far in this game as he would like. The future of the game is in good hands, with EJ and the other younsters coming up. Let's just hope there's a tour for them to bowl.

2- The Japanese game has evolved quite a bit. The two JPBA bowlers who bowled in the finals put more revolutions on the ball than any other Japanese pro I've ever seen. And more importantly, they didn't look even a little intimidated by the magnitude of their accomplishments. No Japanese bowler had won the Japan Cup in 25 years, and with the exception of one mental lapse on a spare late in the finals, both finalists kept their cool.

3- The pattern quickly turned into a house shot. Shots that missed inside of target hit light, and shots that missed outside still came back. There were 7 matches bowled on the pair, though, and everyone threw the ball with the same hand, so there was a lot of carving going on.

4- And most importantly, professional bowling in Japan must get much bigger TV ratings than it does in the US. I know the JPBA stars are closer to being celebrities than American bowlers, but if Coca Cola can sponsor the JPBA, it must be because of the exposure that the tour gets there. Why else would a company based in Atlanta GA send sponsorship money to Japan? It's not because of some animosity towards the tour here. It's because they see a return on investment for their sponsorship money there. If more people watched bowling here, sponsors would notice. Sega and Konami, two former video game giants, still have enough money to sponsor the Japanese tour. They recognize the need to market their brands, even if they are not as profitable as they were 25 years ago.

It looks like we could learn a few things from the Japanese in a lot of areas, and bowling is no exception.

Bowl up a Storm!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#184069 - 01/13/14 09:08 AM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Originally Posted By: Fin09
A few things stood out to me watching today's telecast-
2- The Japanese game has evolved quite a bit. The two JPBA bowlers who bowled in the finals put more revolutions on the ball than any other Japanese pro I've ever seen. And more importantly, they didn't look even a little intimidated by the magnitude of their accomplishments. No Japanese bowler had won the Japan Cup in 25 years, and with the exception of one mental lapse on a spare late in the finals, both finalists kept their cool.

4- And most importantly, professional bowling in Japan must get much bigger TV ratings than it does in the US. I know the JPBA stars are closer to being celebrities than American bowlers, but if Coca Cola can sponsor the JPBA, it must be because of the exposure that the tour gets there. Why else would a company based in Atlanta GA send sponsorship money to Japan? It's not because of some animosity towards the tour here. It's because they see a return on investment for their sponsorship money there. If more people watched bowling here, sponsors would notice. Sega and Konami, two former video game giants, still have enough money to sponsor the Japanese tour. They recognize the need to market their brands, even if they are not as profitable as they were 25 years ago.

It looks like we could learn a few things from the Japanese in a lot of areas, and bowling is no exception.

#2, Wonder if Robert Smith has anything to do with this? Or a lot to do with this?

#4, Yeah it's a different place for sure. Ever watch a "P-league" telecast? Not sure we need that here but it's interesting...

#184072 - 01/13/14 09:16 AM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
Was a good telecast for my DVR.

PBA telecast that coincides with NFL game times does not make sense. You cannot continue to go head to head with the NFL and expect to get viewership.

#184078 - 01/13/14 10:32 AM Re: Japan Cup [Re: BOSStull]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Originally Posted By: BOSStull

PBA telecast that coincides with NFL game times does not make sense. You cannot continue to go head to head with the NFL and expect to get viewership.

Oh, how many times we have all stated this remark and yet the PBA still continues to do this.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#184085 - 01/13/14 11:51 AM Re: Japan Cup [Re: BIGHMW]
wronghander Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
Originally Posted By: BIGHMW
Originally Posted By: BOSStull

Oh, how many times we have all stated this remark and yet the PBA still continues to do this.

PBA goes up against NFL Football because that's the time slot that ESPN will give. To Fin's point though I think it would be a good idea for the PBA to start looking at televising more of the international events and perhaps even look into holding the WSOB overseas if that's going to bring in more sponsorship money. I believe at least some of the US based PBA players do travel to other foreign events such as the Brunswick Euro Challenge.

#184087 - 01/13/14 12:12 PM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
EJ Tackett throws it great, and can go as far in this game as he would like.

Sure does and too bad he didn't win. He has a lot of speed and power for his size.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#184096 - 01/13/14 04:22 PM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
I would like to see the overseas events televised. Most of the big names from here are forced to travel the globe to find decent events year round.

And seriously, Coca Cola?

Bowl up a Storm!

#184122 - 01/14/14 10:59 AM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Enjoyed watching Katoh with his smooth delivery and medium speed, medium revs (compared to U.S. pros). E.J. Tackett has a powerful game and was fun to watch, too. I think we'll be seeing more of him in the future.

The matches were good. However, there were lots of mistakes, particularly single pin misses. Some paid the price, others did not. Seemed like there was some carrydown to contend with on the first ball as the matches progressed. Kudos to those who made the necessary adjustments.

Overall, enjoyed watching the event. International competition continues to get stronger. Bowlers will need to have more than just speed and revs to win at this level.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#184125 - 01/14/14 12:43 PM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
SteveH Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 62/M/Burlington VT
I had it on the DVR which we watched last night. It made me wonder how long a career guys like Rash and the young Tackett will have, as compared to the smoother styles of Weber and Duke and other old timers. The younger guys rely on major power, which is torque on elbows and wrists.

High League game: 290
High League Series: 768
High Tournament Series 723
Arsenal so far: [all 15#]
Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Hy Road X
Roto Grip All Out Show Off
Storm Hy Road Pearl
Roto-Grip Disturbed
Storm Lucid
Roto-Grip Crown

#184133 - 01/14/14 07:36 PM Re: Japan Cup [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Did anybody catch what bowling ball Katoh was rolling (see below)? Watanabe was rolling the soon-to-be-available IQ Tour Fusion.

http://www.abs300.com/balls/index.html

Attachments
KatohBowlingBall.jpg

House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.