BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183487 - 12/23/13 10:30 PM 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not?
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 20/M/OH
Hello everyone! I've been rather busy and distracted - not really a whole lot you've heard about me recently but...you know how that is - and I have some news.

So, in the mail today, I received the USBC envelope I get every year. And with that came the letter, the membership card, and flyers for national youth tournaments (Pepsi, Junior Gold, and Youth Open) which also mention Jr. Gold membership (which no one does around here) and youth scholarships as usual...yada yada, I'll stop myself here before this turns into something resembling a plug.

And, for some odd reason, I became intrigued by the tournament flyer for the Youth Open coming up this July! What made it really convenient to me was that it won't be all that far away (only about a two-hour drive) from me...it's closer to home than where some of my family lives (whom I visited yesterday, in fact)...

I really want to do this tournament this summer (already thinking about summer) for some reason. I feel like it would give me some additional tournament experience and also possibly prepare me for other national tournaments. It would also be a great learning experience; perhaps I'll also make a few bowling connections. The driving time frame/distance is only slightly outside my comfort zone, so I'd be more than willing to take the chance. laugh

My question is, as a youth bowler relatively new and inexperienced to the sport: would it be a good idea to move right to my first national/scratch tournament even though I haven't done district/regional/state tournaments? I've only done handicap county-wide tournaments before as of now.

I think I would really love the experience, but what do you think? Should I jump into it or should I forget about it?
14-15: 139

HG: 193 (?)
HS: 516 (143-183-190) (?)

Bowled regularly in high school, am on hiatus for college.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183490 - 12/24/13 12:53 AM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 18/M/Ohio
Eternal, as a youth bowler myself. I say go for it if you can afford it.I myself bowled in huge tournaments when I first started out, and yes I didnt finish near the top, but I learned what to expect when I did get a higher average and was prepared when I did get there. Also I have noticed and I do this myself most bowlers bowl better the tougher the competition is. I suppose you focus harder so consistency goes up.

I would suggest bowling the State events as well ,again if you can afford it. I have every year since I have bowled the pay outs may not be that high but you will find some good competition make some new friends and if you are lucky like me pick up some good pointers from the better bowlers. I am not sure what state you live in and if they have it or not but the JTBA tournaments here in OH. are great as well a lot of colleges sponsor them so you get good exposure to coaches if you are leaning towards bowling in college although at around $70 a tournament I have to pick and choose which one of those I attend.

Also once my average hit 150 I tried to only bowl scratch tournaments again just to elevate my game. Oh not sure about your State but in Ohio if you finish high enough they pay your way into the Open. Good luck. smile

#183508 - 12/24/13 01:13 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Rocket Jr]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

I've thought about joining the JTBA, being that I'm from Ohio; I anticipated you'd put something into this topic, haha.

I'm not quite sure I could do the State events, but if the opportunity comes up, I think I would want to do them. The Pepsi tournaments have, every year without fail, flown over my head. Mostly because the Pepsi has never been discussed with us.

I really think I should watch out for the handicap county tournaments this year. I know last year they worked somewhat to my advantage (in my best-of-county tournament I placed sixth in my division), but this year, probably not so much...I heard rumors about sandbagging, but oh well...sad part is, the supposed sandbaggers are indeed halfway decent bowlers at their maximum potential.

Thank you for the information regarding the State/scratch events; the little trivia about the payment into the Open was interesting, though I was under the impression that the automatic entries were into Junior Gold...ah well.

There is still much to learn about this upcoming tournament for me...

#183517 - 12/24/13 04:55 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Eternal Bowler]
dgordon0408 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 17/M/Deltona Florida
As I've already gotten my junior gold spot I will be bowling youth open as well. Personally I'll bowl any scratch tournament out there. From my standpoint if you can get three other bowlers that are friends and are open to traveling just for youth open then it's worth it, but in my mind especially being from florida it's not worth it to me to bowl youth open if I wasn't already bowling junior gold
Storm Marvel Pearl @1500 polish
Roto Grip shatter @1500 polish
Storm Victory Road Pearl @ lite 4000
Brunswick versa max @ 1000

#183522 - 12/24/13 06:28 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: dgordon0408]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

I think primarily why I became a bit more eager is because the tournament mentioned "friendship squads" for those without a doubles partner or team. That is especially useful as I never have a team or doubles partner before a tournament at all...and I don't think anyone in my league (or even area) would be willing to bowl in the Youth Open. I look at the past standings and trying to find youth bowlers from my area who bowled in the tournament has proven to be very unsuccessful. Thus...the friendship squads will likely have to do at least this year.

#183546 - 12/25/13 10:34 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

Sorry Eternal didn't even look to see where you were from lol What part of the state are you in?

#183558 - 12/26/13 05:54 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Rocket Jr]
Eternal Bowler Offline
Action Bowler

Haha, it's alright. I'm from the northeast region of Ohio, so that makes this drive a little easier on the gas usage and expenses...and also makes the drive not as tedious and long.

#183563 - 12/26/13 10:26 PM Re: 2014 Youth Open - Good idea or not? [Re: Eternal Bowler]
Rocket Jr Offline
Virtual League Champion

I am in SE Ohio, You may talk to the house you bowl in ,I believe there is another Pepsi qualifying window in January.Ask them to go to www.Ohioyouthbowling.com and they can get all the information there to run the qualifier.

Also,if Columbus isnt to far for you to drive The Ohio High School open Singles and Doubles opens are held there you do not need to be on a high school team to bowl in them. They even have scholarship brackets. You can go to www.ohiohighschoolbowling.com and the flyers are under the off season action part. I will be at all three of those smile

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Mkirchie - 11/10/18 07:04 AM
Ebonite Day at my Proshop
by Dennis Michael - 11/07/18 01:11 PM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Dennis Michael - 11/03/18 10:05 AM
Gouges and scratches on bowling ball
by Dennis Michael - 10/31/18 11:54 AM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by djp1080 - 10/22/18 10:42 AM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.