BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183082 - 12/02/13 08:38 AM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance ***** [Re: ryanfeia]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
i think i'm having a hard time making the fine adjustments with Reactive equipment. I tried my reactive ball (throwing it like my Urethane). When i make a small mistake with that ball I pay for it. When i make a mistake with the Urethane it just still sets up and barrels into the pocket.

My experience is just the opposite of yours. I get much more recovery and hold with a reactive compared to urethane. A urethane for me tends to roll all the way up the lane and hit like a pancake compared to the energy conserving skid/hook/roll transition of a reactive. Every situation is different though.

As far as cleaners I like the Powerhouse Adrenalin wipes which are reasonably priced. The only downside is they're prone to drying out over time especially if the pouch isn't sealed well.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183084 - 12/02/13 09:19 AM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: ryanfeia]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
A rolly entry, pancake hit, could be the result of your hand position at release.

I do admit, a urethane ball requires more accuracy to consistently hit the pocket.

As for cleaners, I use the Lane Masters ball cleaner. It is strong and cleans well. Guess that is why it is NOT APPROVED for use in competition. Only before and after.

PS: My Pro Shop refills the empty bottle for $5. That's a good practice. They buy the larger quantity, and I purchase the first smaller bottle. Then, get refills at a reasonable price.

Edited by Dennis Michael (12/02/13 09:21 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#183088 - 12/02/13 01:08 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: ryanfeia]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Since we are talking about various cleaning products, I am curious what folks think is best for removing lane marks, besides the usual oil and dirt. I find that Simple Green requires a little extra elbow grease to get rid of belt marks. Anything out there that works particularly well on those?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#183091 - 12/02/13 01:52 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: ryanfeia]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
A rolly entry, pancake hit, could be the result of your hand position at release.

Could be. I haven't really spent enough time with my urethane equipment to see what works the best. When the lanes are really dry I rather just use my Taboo Plastic which has a strong drill.

Quote:
I am curious what folks think is best for removing lane marks, besides the usual oil and dirt.

As a general at the lanes cleaner I use mostly alcohol with a little Simple Green. That mixture on a microfiber towel removes belt marks without a lot of rubbing pressure. I use either the Adrenalin wipes or Clean n dull usually before bowling when I think the ball could use a boost.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#183093 - 12/02/13 02:31 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: Joe Bowler]
djp1080 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 71/m/IL
Joe, I've found that Storm's Reacta Shine & Reacta Skuff both work nicely as advertised. They have some grit in them which seems to clean a pearl or a matte finished ball quite well. I spotted a bottle of the Kegel Revive at the Pro Shop & bought it. Used it on my Storm Vivid. Used the Vivid and saw the track clearly. Wiped it as I bowled & cleaned off the oil. Ball reaction appeared to be excellent. Haven't been using the Vivid much lately as it tends to be a sponge on the lanes. Been using the Hy-Road and Byte polished balls instead.

#183105 - 12/03/13 06:50 AM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
I was having troubles at a particular house where the ball would come back with black residue/goo after a few shots... not sure if the back curtain was deteriorating or what. I asked the same question of the guys at bowlingballdotcom, they recommended Brunswick Hook-it and the stuff is awesome. A few squirts on a microfiber towel, towel it on, towel it off after a few seconds and the stuff melts off. I have to assume it does a similar job on oil that is just in the surface of the ball as well. Not legal for use during competition though, and it seems to be hard to find these days frown I carry a small bottle of Powerhouse Energizer for use during league as it is legal during competition, it works fine but nothing special... probably not better than Simple Green I'm guessing.

#183324 - 12/15/13 07:26 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: ryanfeia]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Thanks for the suggestions for removing lane marks.

I have now cleaned my equipment with Kegel Revive 3-4 times, and I can say that besides doing a good job cleaning, it does seem to increase the resistance to the accumulation of dirt and oil on the ball between cleanings. I bowled 9-10 games since the last cleaning and the ball reaction on my Storm IQ Tour solid and LM Advantage remained crisp, clean, and consistent, using only a microfiber towel between shots.

I plan to keep using it and monitoring the results.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#183436 - 12/22/13 08:19 AM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: Joe Bowler]
56bird Offline

Just to follow up on this, I took a leap and used the Kegel Revive on both my Mass Eruption and my Roto Grip Berserk benchmark ball. I used both balls at practice yesterday, on a lane with heavy carrydown from "Rock-n-bowl" the previous night (hence playing straight down the track). I certainly can't complain about the reaction I was seeing. Too soon to say much else, although both balls cleaned up easily after bowling they really didn't get munged up too badly in the first place. If this cleaner proves out to make oil absorption more along the lines of a polished ball with a ball that has some surface, I may just like it!

#183451 - 12/22/13 09:11 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: 56bird]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
i am looking at cleaners too. right now i'm using high % isopropyl alcohol with a dash of totally awesome cleaner from Dollar General. the surface has a nice and dry texture with just a slight 'tack' to it.

now, just to make a point. wouldn't any cleaner with any type of grit in it need to be rinsed off the ball after using it? otherwise isnt there a dusty residue left on the ball much like a freshly sanded ball? or like a tile floor after grouting? do you want to get that off or just leave it in the matte finish for example?

Lastly, you mentioned your benchmark ball. what do you recommend to someone searching to get a benchmark ball setup? a medium cover medium layout? i want to get a new benchmark ball and am thinking the Hypercell is a good start. or is a benchmark ball different for each bowler? does one bowler use a stronger ball for his/her benchmark vs medium or weak?

comments?

RR

Edited by rrb6699 (RayRay) (12/22/13 09:17 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#183463 - 12/23/13 12:10 PM Re: Bowling Ball Care and Maintenance [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
56bird Offline

I can't help you on the "grit" question, sorry... but yeah I'd assume so. To my way of thinking, a cleaner with a grit becomes a liquid "sandpaper" which is a different animal from a simple cleaner or solvent.

The benchmark question probably deserves it's own thread. I'll go make one.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Duplicating the reaction of an obsolete ball
by BowlerBill - 7 minutes 57 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 08/07/18 08:45 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Vic44 - 08/04/18 10:41 PM
Short Pin to Axis Layouts for Full Rollers?
by nord - 07/28/18 04:27 PM
Axis Weight Layout for Full Roller?
by Mkirchie - 07/28/18 07:45 AM
PBA Moving From ESPN to Fox
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:50 PM
End of Days
by Gutterballqueen313 - 07/25/18 01:41 PM
Summer House Tourney
by Dennis Michael - 07/24/18 08:26 AM
Help with grip/ Thumb Position
by 82Boat69 - 07/15/18 08:11 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.