BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183382 - 12/18/13 10:42 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The advice goes, a free swing with a strong release. The release isn't strong if its muscle free, its weak and your hand is in a bad position.

There should be some acceleration at the completion of the release and into the follow through.

The biggest issue is that this is very hard. Its not easy to say, "lets not use any muscle and then at x point be powerful".
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183383 - 12/18/13 10:51 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: VFF57]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
I toy with using muscle or not all the time. all i can say is sometimes i do either or. there are days when i think i got it figured out. i'm using a release i can remember and things seem simple. then go out and try a nice and loose swing but my speed is too slow or i cannot get the same feel as i did just the day before. then i find out it is more comfortable to hold the ball differently than i did just the day before. so what do you do???

about the only thing i have found is the ball must be increasing in speed at release to keep the direction of launch angle. if i need a ball to roll with more oil i have a loose armswing. if i need to delay the roll with skid, i have to muscle the ball more and follow thru strong. but either way i have to make sure my ball speed is increasing at release.

so maybe it doesn't matter so much. what do you think?

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#183387 - 12/19/13 07:57 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
A good release for me is a free swing and good leverage at the line courtesy of proper timing. I like my timing to be just a bit late for setting up with the ball and projecting it out on the lane. The release projection comes from the momentum of the swing and some accelerated push through. The muscle assistance turns on at the bottom of the swing for the wrist and acceleration. When I start getting too aggressive with the release push through that's when the muscle starts creeping into the entire swing. I start controlling the ball and there goes the timing.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#183391 - 12/19/13 08:43 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
VFF, that is exactly how it should be.

That is the saying exactly, a free swing with a strong release.

The release simply cannot be strong without acceleration. The issue arises when the acceleration starts early and now the swing is muscled and pulled through.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#183409 - 12/20/13 08:20 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: sk8shorty01]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Quote:
VFF, that is exactly how it should be

Good sanity check - thanks.

I guess a little more power during the acceleration phase (if I had it) wouldn't hurt. smile
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#183459 - 12/23/13 09:05 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
There are good health reasons to want to be fit and strong.

But, from a stroker's perspective, the goal in bowling is not to have the strongest release, just a strong enough release. There are no extra points for amount of revolutions, boards crossed, miles per hour, or excessive entry angle. Since bowling is a sport that requires both power and precision, there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to generating power.

Remember the more moving parts, the more energy expended, the greater the challenge repeating shots, and the greater risk of injury. In my own experience, I know that I can switch from 4 to 5 steps, start farther back on the approach, allow my backswing to go over my head, and cup and cock my wrist to add speed and power to my release. The result in most cases is not higher scores, just an endless stream of ringing 7 pins, along with more wear and tear on the body.

At scratch tournaments, I often see the power players losing steam in the later games, while I continue to let gravity do its thing. It reminds me of a video I saw recently of big cats and their hunting strategy. The reason they sneak up on their prey is because if they don't catch them within 4 seconds, they cannot keep up with them in a long chase. They have great power, but little endurance.

As always, I will continue to enjoy watching the power players with their dynamic style, but for my own game, I plan to stick with stroking the ball. I am inspired by the successful careers of strokers Earl Anthony, Walter Ray Williams, and Guiness World Record holder, Paeng Nepomuceno.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#183460 - 12/23/13 10:41 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
BOSStull Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 63/M /Georgia
I'm with you Joe on being a stroker.

In my league that just ended out of eight bowlers that averaged over 220 six were strokers with an age over 55. Really doesn't support the idea that being stronger is better.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.