BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18324 - 09/18/04 03:25 PM footwork
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

A/S/L: morton grove,il
coach 04
I was practicing my footwork in my family room,
when I tried something that may help me stop pulling the ball to the left of target. I moved
my left foot a half step forward and to the right
of my right foot. Then took the rest of my steps,
it actually moved me to my target and my follow
thru was straight ahead. I am going to try this
tomorrow sunday and see what happens.
strokers do it better with help even from themselves. keep smileing wink
bowling joel

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#18325 - 09/19/04 08:02 AM Re: footwork
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I think I need a drawing. You said your left foot is to the right of your right foot? That sounds strange. Whatever works, as long as the pins fall down. Don't kill yourself walking down the approach though.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#18326 - 09/19/04 11:47 AM Re: footwork
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
That does sound as though you are standing cross legged at the beginning of the approach. eek

Joel, I wish I were there, to help you out on the lane. It sounds like there may be something simple going wrong. The thing to remember, is that everything written about approach and delivery, is ordered in a way to bring some universal truth to the methodology. It isn't written in stone, because there are too many professional bowlers that break the rules and still bowl well.

We have talked before about the purpose of 3, 4, 5, and 6 step approaches with the emphisis on the timing steps. In reality all of the steps are timing steps except the last one.

The slide begins at the top of the backswing, and delivery follows. If you can perform this portion of the maneuver, with this timing, no other steps are necessary. However they do help to regulate timing and power, they are really accademic.

So however you get to the line that is comfortable for you, leaves you in a position for the timing of the slide/delivery, and allows you to end in a balanced, leveraged, finishing position, is the right approach for you.

Knowing that very few people, other than dancers, know their true body position. It is very difficult to advise you over the web, without the visual feedback needed for proper correction.

As a rule of thumb, your feet will move in one of two lines. Either a parallel line, or a serial line, like walking a tightrope. Either way the sliding foot on the last step should come to the center of the body, (like walking a tightrope). From there the balance point becomes your center and is based on that foot. The toe should be kicked slightly out, the sliding leg hip flexed down, (like going into a squatting position), the trailing leg angled back in order to bring the body into an approximate 45 degree position, and the ball delivered directly beneath the nose. The balance arm raises to a position to align the shoulders for this delivery.

If you can do this, you won't tug the ball or push the ball, the delivery will be consistant and repeatable.

But without video feedback, it is very difficult to know if what you feel, is correct. We may feel like we lost balance, when in acuality we pushed the ball, causing it to go out of time forward, pulling us sideways. The early timing has placed the swinging weight of the ball in a position the body is not yet ready to counter. All the feedback we get is the feeling of imbalance. But the problem is free arm swing.

Until we can get enough visual feedback to associate the feeling we get, with the actual root cause, then we are just guessing at what went wrong.

Hope that makes sense...

#18327 - 09/20/04 09:51 AM Re: footwork
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

coach04
Erin
Here goes. sunday I started with the lineup I
mentioned. Left foot on 25 right foot half step
back. First step was half step forward and to the
right infront of the right. Then right foot goes
forward and rest of steps follow. It worked every
time. I did not pull the ball. One thing I was
paying to much attention to striking and missed a
lot of spares. 137. second game shot my socks off
and made 20 dollars in pot game 234 with handicap.
My game was 203. third game was disaster also.
Missed the first five frames no spares. 132
What is happening I do not have a clue.
strokers do it better with help.
crying

#18328 - 09/20/04 05:20 PM Re: footwork
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Joel,

I think we are reaching the limits of what the Internet will allow us to do. It sounds as if you have a minor stumbling block in your path, but without being able to see you bowl, guessing is all that remains.

If you have a way to get a video of yourself bowling, you could email it to me for analysis. I can accept files up to 20 megs, so an AVI would work. I need to see your approach from the side and back at the minimum. From that I could check your timing, drift, release angle, axis rotation, etc. etc..

I'm not sure what other pointers I can give, that we have not already discussed.

#18329 - 09/20/04 09:35 PM Re: footwork
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

coach04
Ok I can handle that. with the help of my son, I
will have him video me at the bowling alley and
I will email it to you as you say. I want this
thing fixed and I will do whatever it takes to
get it done. I appreciate your help and I know
you can only do so much without seeing the product
in action. I will do this as soon as possible and
when I have I will email you and can tell me where to send it. thanks for everything.
strokers do it better with help. thumbsup

#18330 - 09/20/04 10:35 PM Re: footwork
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Sounds great, just let me know when you are ready.

#18331 - 09/21/04 12:59 AM Re: footwork
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well, the pieces are there. But it takes lots of practise, repetition and experience to be able to employ those pieces "most" of the time. Its not unusual to have a bad game after a great game. The adrenaline is just pumping and its tough to settle down back into a rhythm again.

And if you know you were concentrating on your footwork, then I'd expect you to not make some of your usual spares. But if you practise in a similar manner, then hopefully it will become filed in your muscle memory and won't take so much consious thought in the future. Just remember, that if you start over swinging the ball that can be a problem too. Adjusting your foot line up at the beginning, in the opposite way, may help.

Video taping and expert analysis is a great tool. If you have access to these then by all means use them.

Erin

#18332 - 09/21/04 06:29 PM Re: footwork
joel Offline
Touring Pro Contender

coach04
I will send you the tape in about two weeks. I
will use the special section. My son is going to
tape me as you instructed. He is a busy man but
will take care of me sap.
Erin, thanks: I was watching the footwork in the
first game and did not in the second. What happened in the third is unexplainable. Yesterday
I went to my teamates house and he changed the
grips in both the mojo and the spare ball. Said
they were put in backwards and that probably is
the problem. Will bowl wedns nite and see what
happens.
I will pray to the bowling god and then let you
both know what took place.
Strokers do it better with help and care. bowling joel thumbsup

#18333 - 09/22/04 03:10 AM Re: footwork
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Joel,

I am not sure what the "special section" is??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.