BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183257 - 12/11/13 10:21 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: VFF57]
56bird Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 47 Male, Malta NY
Bro. Bro. Bro.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183266 - 12/12/13 07:50 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: 56bird]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
lol....I like to toss engine blocks around my yard for fun.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#183268 - 12/12/13 08:59 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: VFF57]
56bird Offline

Originally Posted By: VFF57
lol....I like to toss engine blocks around my yard for fun.

Sweet LOL... btw I was just responding in order, always wanted to use that meme somewhere. Certainly wasn't directed at you sir or anyone in particular smile

I always noticed Ryan's arms were way out of balance, from the first time I saw him bowl on TV or video. I do remember "filling out" in a similar fashion in my early 20's, granted neither of my arms ever looked like Ryan's left but I went from 170 at the age of 21 to 252 by 29... was probably 225 at 25 so I'd just say... speculating is one thing, but outright accusing someone of juicing with no evidence but your eyes... well that's a fairly serious accusation.

#183269 - 12/12/13 09:59 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

No problem Rick I replied because it gave me a laugh this morning.

Muscle power is a nice to have but as a bowler I think agility, motor skills, etc. are more important physical attributes rather than brute force (a strong wrist is a +). Having good muscle tone should help with repeatability, longevity and injury prevention. A good example of this are guys like Pete Weber and Norm Duke who look like they could blow away in a wind storm but they kill the lanes.
Black Hammer

#183299 - 12/13/13 05:49 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Take a look at Rafael Nadal- his left arm is a lot bigger than his right. Most of the top tennis players have imbalances when it comes to their dominant v non-dominant arms. This is not unusual.
Ryan is young enough that he can put on a good 15-20 lbs of muscle in a year without the aid of anything chemical. From the time I turned 16, and started to lift, to the time I turned 19, I put on 30 pounds of muscle, and never even looked at a needle. His face is a lot fuller, which tells me he's eating a lot more, working out heavy, and not doing a ton of cardio.
And for those of you who want to compare him to little PDW, a power player like Ryan is always going to look for ways to increase his power, and short of throwing it two handed, hitting the gym is the best way I know how. Having agility and motor skills are nice, and are the foundation of a bowler's game, but when you can add brute force to your existing gifts, you can be dangerous.
Good for him- when Tiger hit the PGA tour, and his arms were starting to stretch the sleeves of his shirt, more and more guys followed him to the gym to keep up with him.
WITH ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL, a good big man will almost always beat a good small man. That holds true in just about every sport there is. Unfortunately, all other factors are never equal, especially in bowling. Being in good physical condition, which includes being stronger, is definitely an advantage in bowling, though. There are a lot more Chris Barnes body types than Dale Trabers at the top of the money list.

Bowl up a Storm!

#183303 - 12/14/13 09:20 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: Fin09]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Quote:
WITH ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL, a good big man will almost always beat a good small man. That holds true in just about every sport there is.

Gotta disagree. Unless we are talking about basketball, where there are obvious advantages to being taller, it is not usually size that gives the bigger man an advantage in sports. It is strength. And, it is very possible for the smaller man to be the stronger man. One example of a sport where being smaller (and stronger) is an advantage is judo (or any form of grappling), thanks to a lower center of gravity. In bowling, it's a mix. The larger man has a possible advantage with a higher backswing and faster ball speed. The smaller man has a possible advantage with creating leverage getting under the ball, creating more revolutions. As with any athletic endeavor, the defining characteristics of champions are their unique combination of strength, speed, agility, etc., not necessarily size. In the ultimate sport, which is war, survival favors the smaller target.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#183347 - 12/16/13 11:07 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
My point was that the bigger man is the stronger man, and sports where strength gives you an advantage are almost always won by the stronger man. There will always be exceptions, but we're participating in a sport where averages are computed over a course of 100+ games.. Remember, too, the all other things being equal caveat, which is technique, skill, proficiency, determination, and hard work.
I like being the stronger man, and I am more often than not.

Bowl up a Storm!

#183352 - 12/17/13 02:45 AM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
nord Offline

A/S/L: 40/M/Santee/CA
Just finished watching Chameleon.
Ryan is amazing.
I have never seen such power and roll on a ball.
You can just see that thing revving down the lane and you know the pins will die!
He is Hellboy with that crazy arm.
He is so powerful now the other players looked like kids by comparison.

Arsenal
Brunswick True Motion Urethane Axis Drill
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
Visionary Crow Urethane

#183369 - 12/18/13 12:16 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
56bird Offline

What I find kind of amusing about this discussion is, I'm always struggling to get the muscle OUT of my game. Don't get me wrong, I could stand a lot more fitness, but that's more about being able to hold my position at the line better (notice how Ryan was posting his shots better than anyone we've seen on TV since Belmo had that hot streak?)

I generate a lot more power when I use a lot less muscle effort. Not everybody bowls this way though and that's fine.

#183377 - 12/18/13 06:24 PM Re: Viper Championship & Ryan Ciminelli [Re: nord]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

Quote:
What I find kind of amusing about this discussion is, I'm always struggling to get the muscle OUT of my game.

Same here.

If muscle and power are important then at what point should it be applied during a gravity driven swing?

Edited by VFF57 (12/18/13 06:25 PM)
Black Hammer

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.