BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183176 - 12/06/13 04:09 PM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
bigcall Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 55/M/NoVA
Wow, Pete Couture is in the field? I recall watching him when he bowled out of CT in the late 70's.

Assuming it's the same guy, he must be in his upper 60's now?

Best of luck!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183203 - 12/08/13 07:04 PM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
It is indeed the same Pete Couture and I happen to bowl on a team with him in league as well. He is a great guy and happens to be a local so makes it even better.

Finished up -61 for 8 games (191 average) and ended up in 37th place, about 50 or so pins out of cashing in the event.

The pattern was pretty difficult, didn't have to adjust a ton as far as moving your feet left and right but had to make a lot of adjustments with speed, rev rate, hand position and ball choice.

I had my best look with the IQ Tour Pearl but also had a pretty good look early on with the Byte (sanded to 1000) and my Marvel-S (OOB).

The highlight of the tournament for me was probably the fact of going to dinner after the event (via invite) with Jason Sterner, Tom Daugherty and John Janowicz, pretty cool experience.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#183205 - 12/08/13 08:35 PM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Sorry my math was a little off...

I shot 1531 for 8 which was -69 not -61.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#183207 - 12/09/13 07:22 AM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
The pattern was pretty difficult, didn't have to adjust a ton as far as moving your feet left and right but had to make a lot of adjustments with speed, rev rate, hand position and ball choice.

Congrats on the experience gained bowling another PBA Regional. Usually, if I need to adjust speed, rev rate, and hand position, it is a last resort because either there is not enough room to move further left or right on the approach, or none of my equipment matches up well to the shot. In my PBAX league, the Wolf pattern was best described as a short pattern that plays like a long pattern. Did you happen to see what the leaders were doing to score, i.e., their angle of attack and type of equipment used? If you could do it again, what would you do different?
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#183210 - 12/09/13 08:35 AM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

The leader (Jason Sterner) was using a "pin under" Brunswick Melee and playing about 6-7 out to 1.

The second place qualifier (Chris Loschetter) was using a "pin over" Hyroad Pearl and playing 7-8 out to 1.

If I could do it again I would have switched to my IQ Tour Pearl a little earlier and that would have given me a little more room to open the lanes up a touch.

I started the day with my Byte and my Marvel-S (both pin up) playing 5 out to 3 with some success but if I didn't strike I was leaving splits (a lot of 2-4-8-10 combos) so I had little miss room. Once I switched to the IQ Tour Pearl and played 5-6 out to 1 I had miss room and bowled much better. The last 4 games I went +10 but the first two put me in a hole early so I had to make up some ground.

The last game I was -78 and figured I needed to get to -5 to make the cut (cut ended up being -8) so I needed 273. Start the game XXXX8/X and then didnt strike on the left lane again the rest of the way and shot 213. So after 7.5 games I was actually still on pace to be the number and then I fell off a little.

There is another regional close to me (about 2 hours) in early February so I will probably be bowling that one as well.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#183212 - 12/09/13 12:45 PM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Nice job, though. It's always toughest trying to make up pins lost in the first few games, since the lanes open up and the leaders usually keep scoring. And on the occasions where they get tougher as the block goes on, it's that much tougher to make up ground. The experience should help you be one of the guys who start out plus and stay that way.

Bowl up a Storm!

#183215 - 12/09/13 01:25 PM Re: Bowling PBA Regional this weekend [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

This was definitely a case where the scores went down as the day went on.

After three games the cut to cash was +21, after 6 games the cut was -23 and it finished at -8.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.