BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183014 - 11/28/13 09:24 AM Lane Masters Advantage Review
Joe Bowler Offline
2x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 50s/M/MD
Happy birthday to me (Wed, 11/27). I was looking for a ball to complement the Lane Masters Big Bang SE, and I think I have found it. I've had a chance to roll my new Lane Masters Advantage at 3 different houses now, and really like the similar but different ball reaction. Where the Big Bang SE is later and more angular, the Advantage is earlier and more arcing. Both balls are strong on the backend. The Advantage seems to have a bit less surface traction than the Big Bang SE, but much more than the Lane Masters Perfect. I have been rolling some good games with the Advantage, 230's - 250's, but I learned something last night that should further improve scoring. If I move outside rather than inside during the transition with the Advantage, it is much more deadly. Since it is earlier and smoother than the Big Bang SE, moving outside maintains a similar strong entry angle. The hook shape for the Advantage is similar to the Perfect, but with the Advantage being stronger through the pin deck (my reason for wanting a pearl particle ball in the first place), the Advantage wins the spot in my bag.
House: 239
Sport: 210

PBA (2014-2015): $850

Heavy: Nano, HyperCell, Eternal Cell
Medium: IQ Tour, Tour SiC, Tag
Light: Spare+, Tank, Rebel Tank
Spares: WD

Internet advice is offered free, as is, at your own risk.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#183185 - 12/07/13 11:15 AM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Moving the breakpoint further outside with the Advantage proved to be successful. Fortunately, the pearl particle cover does not overreact to friction. The earlier, arcing hook shape already provided a lot of mistake area. The additional entry angle should further increase carry percentage.

With the alignment change, I was curious how the Advantage would handle being the first ball, rather than a transition ball for the Big Bang SE. So far, it has performed well, with recent games of 245, 218, 279, for a 742 series. The best part was I never had to change balls to maintain the same look. There were 4 lefties on the pair, and I only had to make 1/2 board adjustments (some inside, some outside) to stay in the pocket.

I got to thinking that my typical 1-2 punch is more likely going to be the IQ Tour Edition (solid) followed by the Advantage since they have similar hook shapes. I expect the Big Bang SE will be reserved for longer, perhaps heavier patterns where I am forced to play deeper inside and need a sharper response to friction at the end of the pattern (ex: Shark, Badger, Don Carter, Paris, etc.).

#183192 - 12/07/13 11:40 PM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
rrb6699 (RayRay) Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: Single/male/FL
I may opt for that ball if it is like you say. I have a hard time with balls that react fast to friction. maybe for heavier oil, but, a ball with a higher RG may help me. The LM Advantage might fill the bill. that might be the 'forgiveness' i was looking for in a ball like this and others with higher RG and make sure after drill it still has a similar look to what you are getting.

RR
Tilt: 15, AoR- 65, PAP: 4 3/4ovr, 3/4up,
Sp:15.5 avg
Alpha Crux-15#
Guru Mastr-15#
Sinister-15#
Grenade-16#
Quantum Violet-16#
Wht Dot-16#
MoRich Frenzy-15#
Multi wins/Top 5 Finshes-Scr&Hcp events

#183197 - 12/08/13 08:23 AM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: rrb6699 (RayRay)]
Joe Bowler Offline

Originally Posted By: rrb6699 (RayRay)
I may opt for that ball if it is like you say. I have a hard time with balls that react fast to friction. maybe for heavier oil, but, a ball with a higher RG may help me. The LM Advantage might fill the bill. that might be the 'forgiveness' i was looking for in a ball like this and others with higher RG and make sure after drill it still has a similar look to what you are getting.

RR

To be clear, the LM Advantage is a low RG, high Diff, strong asymmetrical ball. The LM Big Bang SE is more of med RG, med Diff, symmetrical ball. It's a bit odd that the symmetrical Big Bang SE is more angular than the asymmetrical Advantage. It must be the combination of core and cover because I have both balls laid out with the same high flaring layout. I do find the earlier, arcing hook shape of the Advantage to be more forgiving when the lanes begin to transition. Below are the specs for all my current equipment.

Storm IQ Tour Edition, solid reactive, RG: 2.49, Diff: .035, MB: 0
Lane Masters Advantage, pearl particle, RG: 2.496, Diff: .053, MB: .021
Lane Masters Big Bang SE, pearl multi-particle, RG: 2.53, Diff: .043, MB: 0
High Skore Pro, hard rubber, RG: 2.65, Diff: .022, MB: 0

#183225 - 12/10/13 08:48 AM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Joe said: It's a bit odd that the symmetrical Big Bang SE is more angular than the asymmetrical Advantage.

Joe, even with my low flare release, I find this to be true in most of the LM or LF balls I have had. The biggest difference has been the consistency in ball path and roll. They usually move steadily through transition and are rarely affected by what others call carry down. I don't know what carry down is when others are complaining about it.

My arcing ball path actually covers more boards then any asymmetrical ball I have used and with the predictability I need. No over reaction and no additional slide passed the head.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#183326 - 12/15/13 07:42 PM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

I have to give credit for my tournament performance this weekend to the Lane Masters Advantage. It was a high scoring event, and I needed a ball that would find the pocket and carry. The Advantage came through for me. I was able to use it all day long and make only minor adjustments as we changed pairs. My games were 244, 247, 234, 248, 223, and 279, for 1475 total, and 245.83 average. Among the three Lane Masters balls I have tried, the Advantage is the one that suits my game the best, and will likely get the most use.

#183334 - 12/16/13 07:17 AM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

That's some good bowling, Joe. And, I don't care what ball you used. That's a great accomplishment.

For the record, I am sure you will find, as with any ball line, L/M has some very good equipment and some not as good. Sometimes, you have to weed the not as good out, and stick with the ones that fit your game.

I know, I have gone through 12 L/M balls over the past 10 years, and I can honestly say there were 3 that really opened my eyes, the Terminator (of which I had 2), the Black Diamond Reactive, and the Conqueror. Most of the others seemed to miss the combination of reliability and match to my style. But, I have never had a BAD ball, as I have with other lines.

But, when one matches, your confidence and performance takes a big jump.

#187635 - 06/18/14 09:32 AM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

Well, so much for Lane Masters durability. In just about 6 months of intermittent use, my LM Advantage now has a crack developing around the thumb (see below). Unfortunately, its proximity to the thumb would make a repair difficult without a crater of a hole and redrilling the thumb. It's a shame. I shot my high series, 827, with this ball.

Attachments
LM Advantage Cracked.jpg

#187638 - 06/18/14 05:00 PM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Joe, pretty common. Because the surface of these balls is so hard, drillers press harder. And, burn the ball. This softened the ball around the holes due to heat, and impacts will eventually take it's toll.

Any experienced LM ball driller knows this.

They are also the hardest balls to refinish because of their hard covers. Most drillers around here refer to LM Balls as 'Bit Killers". As bits will often dull while drilling. Again, causing a harder press.

#187642 - 06/18/14 10:42 PM Re: Lane Masters Advantage Review [Re: Joe Bowler]
Joe Bowler Offline

No, it was not hard to drill, as it was the first ball drilled after I had all my bits sharpened and waxed. In fact, I remember cutting through the ball like butter. Remember, the Advantage is a ball with filler, and there are no more diamond particles. Even if it was resistant to drilling, it would not be the first hard shell ball or all resin ball I have drilled. It just plain cracked out, likely on impact in the thumb area. No worries though. I am looking to replace it with a Storm Optimus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.